Wow, Bob Hope, What a Man

• 1 month later...

I've never heard of him....

Bob Hope was a singer, dancer, comedian who started in vaudeville, went to to radio, the movies and television. His career spanned 70 years, maybe more as he had 64 years alone in broadcasting in TV.

Starting in 1941 he began to entertain troops as part of his contribution to the war effort. Starting in 1948 it became a tradition to do it over the Christmas holidays and bring some cheer from home to the troops overseas.

The Bob Hope Christmas specials from Vietnam were legendary. Many of them were in areas right on the edge of the war zone. A young marine or soldier could be in the jungle on patrol one day and the next sitting in an audience watching these famous people perform. He continued to entertain the troops all the way through the first Gulf War in 1990. The US Navy named a ship after him, the USAF named a C-17 after him and the US Congress unanimously voted him the first ever "Honorary Veteran."

He passed away at 100 years old in 2003. He was a truly remarkable man. I knew who he was, but didn't understand a lot about him until I read his book, Don't Shoot, It's Only Me.

• Like 3

One of the truly greats. Can remember the family gathered around the radio listening to his shows. Love his "Road" movies with Bing Crosby. If memory serves, one of his nicknames was "Old Ski Nose". I you look at a picture of him and look at his nose you'll understand. :)