Open Club  ·  282 members  ·  Free

Mark Arbour Fan Club

RN Signal Books

Have any signal books of the period been reprinted? I know that "Captain repair on board immediately" would have been a code of two or three flags rather than spelled out. Does anyone know how large the signal flags were? My great-grandfather was aboard USS Lexington when she was attacked and sank in WWII, and he thinks her signal flags were about six feet square.

Have any signal books of the period been reprinted? I know that "Captain repair on board immediately" would have been a code of two or three flags rather than spelled out. Does anyone know how large the signal flags were? My great-grandfather was aboard USS Lexington when she was attacked and sank in WWII, and he thinks her signal flags were about six feet square.

Alright, I have a confession to make. The signalling abilities we're seeing in this series may not actually be possible until the release of Home Popham's Signal Book in 1803. Prior to that, signals were designed for transmitting orders, not information. I've allowed myself this bit of anachronism.

Important Information

Our Privacy Policy can be found here: Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue..