How to go about writing a story that's progressing through long pe

What is the best way to go about writing about time passing over several months in a book? I'm not sure I'm wording this correctly and making it easy to understand. To explain, I'm writing a book where I want time to pass (like a school year) without writing about every day in that time period, or even every month. It needs to have enough detail to actually be telling a story and progressing through the things that are happening during this year but not too much detail where it's boring. Does anyone know a good way to execute this? And a good way to explain how?

Well, once you have the arc of your story, I'd say you only write the scenes that are pertinent to the plot. You can "skip time" between chapters...for example, end a chapter before a break/vacation and open the new chapter with details that inform the reader the break is over. (You could do this for any span of time, really)

You could also include some small transitional paragraphs (don't overdo these, though, or you'll be 'telling' the story instead of showing).

Read around on GA ...there are many highschool/college stories that span a half a year or a year. They might give you some ideas.

• Like 1

I'll try that, thanks. And I also meant to pass through that period of time fairly quickly because the whole book won't be like that, just some parts. I'm kind of trying to skip to something else that's going to happen, without actually skipping it, if that makes sense.

I'll try that, thanks. And I also meant to pass through that period of time fairly quickly because the whole book won't be like that, just some parts. I'm kind of trying to skip to something else that's going to happen, without actually skipping it, if that makes sense.

Well, I don't know your story, but if you have "sections" of the story arc, you can also break it into parts (e.g. Part 1, Part 2, etc.) I tend to expect a time jump when I see that in a story.

you can also name your chapters by events that move you forward in time

{in america, the school year could go something like this)

School Starts

Homecoming

Thanksgiving

Winter break

Midterms

Spring Break

Prom

Finals Week

Graduation