Open Club  ·  73 members  ·  Free

C James Fan Club

The Void

Never mind the looming US debt crisis, the Eurozone disaster or the X-Factor auditions, something much much worse is heading your way  Posted Image

So what are you gonna do about it?

Shove your head in the sand?

Flee to the hills? (the mountain men will get you)

Scream for mercy? (CJ will cackle evilly "you knew it was coming"   :evil:  )

This is something you cannot hide from.  

Whether or not CJ does a sequel it's .... the end of Circumnavigation  Posted Image  

Eeeeeek! It can't be! Make it go away please!

But but but - if CJ is to be believed it's only a few weeks away now.  

Will the Goat be putting immediate arrangements in place to help his distraught readers deal with the cloud of gloom, depression and hopelessness that will descend once the final full stop of the final episode has been read?

Or will he selfishly claim he needs a well-earned rest and heartlessly skip off for some frolicksome pleasures with no thought for the plight of his abandoned and devastated readers?  Posted Image  

Any ideas or suggestions for coping with the empty post-Circumnavigation world?

As a stop gap I can recommend some mystery stories I've just stumbled on which may help:

http://www.nifty.org...tinct-divisions

Edited by Zombie

The Void? When I saw this thread name, I was thinking he meant the space between my ears! :lol:

Umm, please be aware of one thing. I utterly suck when it comes to estimating the number of chapters. The story is outlined to the end, and has been since before it started posting, and the final two chapters are written, but that's all been true for over a year. (I like writing the ending early in a story) It's just that when I get down to the nuts and bolts of actually writing the text, it tends to take more than I thought. That's why my estimate for chapter number keeps growing. Circumnavigation won't be over before the end of (northern hemisphere) summer.

We'll be seeing chapter 84 today. That means I have just 24 more chapters remaining to keep my promise to bring it in under 100. The good news is, I do not foresee any more chapterless weeks between now and the end.

And... hrmmm... when Circumnavigation ends, I very much hope and plan to have another story ready to start posting that same week. I don't know what it will be quite yet, but there are several candidates. One possible delay though; I'm writing a story for GA's premium section, to go with "Jake" which is already there, so that has to be finished first, though it should be done fairly soon. (I'm writing it all in one large batch, so I can adjust early chapter foreshadowing better, before anyone, even my team, sees it).

:)

Please CJ take off your shoes when you count!!!!!!!!!!!!! If you take off you shoes and open your flies you can at least count to 20 and a half.

We'll be seeing chapter 84 today. That means I have just 24 more chapters remaining to keep my promise to bring it in under 100. The good news is, I do not foresee any more chapterless weeks between now and the end.

84 + 24 = 108

I thought you said less than 100

Edited by MartyS

Please CJ take off your shoes when you count!!!!!!!!!!!!!

84 + 24 = 108

I thought you said less than 100

It will be less than 100! However, you are evidently in need of a math lesson! Remember, Trevor is now in Australia, and therefor, we must use Australian math. :read:

It's similar to the time zone issue, also imparted by their geography. In December (it varies seasonally, due to some areas having daylight saving time) Florida is 13 hours behind Western Australia. But, is it? How can that be, when Europe is ahead of Florida? It's complicated, but, here's how it works out; 1 am Tuesday in Perth is Noon on Monday in Miami Florida and 5pm Monday in London. So, we are used to making adjustments for time going east to west.

Going south, however, is complicated in other ways. Australia is in the southern hemisphere, and so is upside down relative to those of us in the northern hemisphere. This is why cyclones and other low pressure systems spin the opposite way, clockwise, down there. This is why their seasons are inverted too.

There are a lot of things that are different due to Australia being upside down, and math is just one of them.

The first thing we need to remember is that in Australia, 100 minus 75 = 35. It's all a matter of geography. To prove it, let's start with normal math: 100 - 75 = 25. However, in Australia, 6's are upside down and thus become nines. Now, bear in mind that Trevor's first full day in Australia was in chapter 60, so when you turn your monitor upside down to read 60 the Australian way, it makes it 09. and 09 - 100 is 91, so a difference of nine, so if you subtract 9 from 24, you get 15, so therefor, in Australian math, 24 + 84 is 99. (or, in Australia, 66)

CJ :)

Do you think goats have fingers and toes!?!?! :sheep::P

I do not know, however since you have raised that question, I am starting to wonder if something else missing

Edited by MartyS

It's all in the way you look at it... :lmao:

In OZ we're really on top, it's the rest of the world thats upsidedown :devil:

But the maps prove that the world's the right way up and Australia's upside down :)

There are a lot of things that are different due to Australia being upside down, and math is just one of them.

CJ is absolutely correct. And it's not just the maths that's upside-down but its writing too. Which means Australia is a great place for dyslexic goats to live according to this thread:

http://www.dyscalcul...=2804&pid=22340

And it doesn't stop there. The following blog points out some of the many ways in which Aussie life is upside down or back to front or just plain different:

http://williamappleb...lecheeze/?p=226

It all makes sense really because, after all, Australians are living their whole lives upside down - walking, sleeping, surfing and talking (typical examples: "G'day Sheila", "Mine's a Castlemain XXXX", "It's as dry as a dead dingo's donga") :)

Edited by Zombie

As I was the poster who first challenged CJ regarding his arithmetic, I have followed this thread and kept abreast of all the posts. Having never been in Australia, my knowledge of conditions affecting the basic natural laws of mathematics and physics, is limited to what I have learned in my life.

The more I read in this thread, the more I am reminded of a hearing held in the Congress of the United States recently. I will not attempt to describe this to you. I am attaching a link so that anyone interested may go and after viewing it compare the contents to this thread.

The more I read in this thread, the more I am reminded of a hearing held in the Congress of the United States recently. I will not attempt to describe this to you. I am attaching a link so that anyone interested may go and after viewing it compare the contents to this thread.

But this thread is a rational exchange of pertinent points relevant to the geographic setting of the story whereas the video clip is of a scurrilous jokester who has clearly been planted to unsettle the witness at a congressional hearing.

Nope, not the same thing at all :)

It's all in the way you look at it... :lmao:

In OZ we're really on top, it's the rest of the world thats upsidedown :devil:

That may be, but it still means that, much as you require a different seasonal calander and different time zones, one must take into account upside-down numbers. :P

Being a goat, CJ can only count to 9 at the most.

:lmao:

But the maps prove that the world's the right way up and Australia's upside down :)

CJ is absolutely correct. And it's not just the maths that's upside-down but its writing too. Which means Australia is a great place for dyslexic goats to live according to this thread:

http://www.dyscalcul...=2804&pid=22340

And it doesn't stop there. The following blog points out some of the many ways in which Aussie life is upside down or back to front or just plain different:

http://williamappleb...lecheeze/?p=226

It all makes sense really because, after all, Australians are living their whole lives upside down - walking, sleeping, surfing and talking (typical examples: "G'day Sheila", "Mine's a Castlemain XXXX", "It's as dry as a dead dingo's donga") :)

:2thumbs:

I just wonder how Australians cope with driving upside down... seems to me that'd be very hard on their car roofs. :ph34r:

And on a serious note, I've always been able to read upside down or mirrored text, and I was diagnosed as dyslexic when I was about seven, but I didn't know the two were related until today. Thanks!!

As I was the poster who first challenged CJ regarding his arithmetic, I have followed this thread and kept abreast of all the posts. Having never been in Australia, my knowledge of conditions affecting the basic natural laws of mathematics and physics, is limited to what I have learned in my life.

I can't watch video on this computer, so I have no idea what it says.. but, when dealing with an a story that has many chapters in Australia, is is clear that we must incorporate Australian math. :)

Any reader of fiction knows they must accept one major provision when dealing with an author's works. That is the right of an author to create a fictional arrangement of facts. It is many times referred to as, “literary license.” This permits an author to arrange facts to permit the novelist to create circumstances, which would be impossible in real life. Without such an understanding, no author of a science fiction narrative could successful publish their works.

Based on the author’s responses in this thread, I feel I have been badly misled. The administrators of this website require an author to classify their submissions as to genre prior to publication. This novel is listed as; Mystery, Adventure, Thriller/Suspense.

After perusing the writers allegations regarding mathematics in Australia, I believe further classification should be added to the, Story Info,” page. The author should add the following; “Fantasy.”

Edited by MartyS

Important Information

Our Privacy Policy can be found here: Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue..