Open Club  ·  284 members  ·  Free

Mark Arbour Fan Club

Interesting chapter and it makes me wonder what the future implications are of Wade locking horns with his mother once again.

On the priest/minister thing....we need to get Arbour settled on what you call clerics in various denominations :) Catholic and Anglican (Episcopalian) churches have priests and aren't very often referred to as "ministers", minister is more of a main stream Protestant term. Episcopalians can get laid, Catholics can not (in theory). The Danfields, and whatever Elizabeth was before she was a Danfield, are most likely Anglicans since that is what East Coast blue bloods are.

I really enjoyed the latest chapter of Paternity. I loved the Thanksgiving dinner scene, actually reminded me of some of my past family get togethers...

Like PrivateTim, my first thought is what denomination are the Danfield and the Garretts? Can't say that I have been to many churches on the east coast but in Texas; the only ones that I know that use Father are the Catholic, Lutheran, and a couple Episcopalians of the High Church, might as well be Catholic... Most Methodist, Baptists, Episcopalians, and Presbyterian use the term Reverend or the Very Reverend. I can't see the Danfields as Baptists, way to much public drinking, dancing, and sex... A great many of the old money families on the East Coast are either Methodist, Episcopalians, or Presbyterian... Something we could be over looking is that the time that this story is taking place saw the rise of the so called megachurches and the leaders of those were often non-denominational and titled themselves however they wanted. These megachurches often had satelite churches and the leaders would title themselves the same as the head of the megachurch.

My second thought is that Elizabeth made her move against her mother after the death of her brother Roscoe Garrett... Do we know what his will said??? Just as Elizabeth had a sizable trust, I am sure that her brother had one as well... Who got the money from it??? Trust in families like this are usually set up by the Grandparents for Grandchildren so often the ability to disolve or intefer with the trust is taken out of the parents hands. I am sure that Elizabeth and Roscoe's trust were set up by their grandparents so even after Roscoe came out, I doubt his parents had the ability to effect the trust in many ways except to maybe delay his access to it. Who did Roscoe leave his money to and who has been controlling it...

And this is just an fyi to methodwriter, none of the Bush's are in the same league wealth wise as the oil families in the country. At least two of the members of same generation as the 43rd President had to declare bankruptcy and the 43rd President was really considered a failure in business until the owners of the Texas Rangers decided they needed a new stadium. They named George W managing partner and basically arranged for him to borrow the 600,000.00 dollars he invested in the club. They got their new stadium and when Bush sold his part later he made more than 15,000,000.00 dollars from his previous investment and the tax payers that paid for the stadium got screwed... A strange coincidence perhaps, the first Bush to really make money was an industrialist from Columbus Ohio. Most of the current family money that the Bush's have can be traced to the Walker family. The grandmother of the 41st President was a Walker and she brought a significant amount of money into the family. One of the most interesting members of the Bush family was Mary Parker, who was hung as a witch during the Salem witch trials.

Caroline Kennedy is worth more all alone than George H Bush and all five of his children, including George W Bush and his immediate family; you can also throw in George H Bush's siblings and you still don't come close to wealth of Caroline Kennedy...

Hey, thanks for the illumination. Like this is a level of a wealth I don't understand- I've been around people who are merely affluent like the Carrswolds (nothing more fun than being a poor kid listening to his high school/college friends talk about their trips to Europe and the great private schools they attend), but 500 million dollar trust funds are beyond my frame of reference.

As for the bit before...go to any frat party in the 2000's. Odds on chance you'll see girls making out. Mean Girls even parodied that trend in a party scene. They say Girls Gone Wild videos had a hand in that.

• Like 1

Interesting chapter and it makes me wonder what the future implications are of Wade locking horns with his mother once again.

On the priest/minister thing....we need to get Arbour settled on what you call clerics in various denominations Posted Image Catholic and Anglican (Episcopalian) churches have priests and aren't very often referred to as "ministers", minister is more of a main stream Protestant term. Episcopalians can get laid, Catholics can not (in theory). The Danfields, and whatever Elizabeth was before she was a Danfield, are most likely Anglicans since that is what East Coast blue bloods are.

In Bloodlines, Wade notes that the Carrswolds are Episcopalians, just like his parents. You'll also notes that everyone refers to them as priests except Matt, for some odd reason. Maybe he had some Presbyterian leanings.

Hey, thanks for the illumination. Like this is a level of a wealth I don't understand- I've been around people who are merely affluent like the Carrswolds (nothing more fun than being a poor kid listening to his high school/college friends talk about their trips to Europe and the great private schools they attend), but 500 million dollar trust funds are beyond my frame of reference.

As for the bit before...go to any frat party in the 2000's. Odds on chance you'll see girls making out. Mean Girls even parodied that trend in a party scene. They say Girls Gone Wild videos had a hand in that.

Seriously. Restraining the urge to punch several of my fellow college students when they spoke of $100,000 limits on their credit cards occupied far too much of my time. On the other hand, I did use the fact that I was generally taller, fitter, and darker than most of the other kids to lean on certain susceptible peers, including my first roommate. Saved me a world of trouble, some times, and let me talk my way out of situations rather than pull out a weapon.

Also, yeah. Girls made out. I remember it being a joke that you never saw guys doing the same, and that people wouldn't cheer if they did. There was even an illustrated article about that in my college's newspaper. I'd stopped partying after college; apparently I missed the advent of the emo by just a bit. Too bad.

I'll take being partially right on Nana's mental situation. It does sound like she descended into depression, and her daughter yielded to temptation when she saw the opportunity, rather than create it out of whole cloth. While she's ruthless enough to do exactly that, I like this situation better.

Wade make a good point. His mom really should have realized how completely the game had changed by now, with him as a player. Old age and treachery will win eventually, but will there be any prizes worth the bother once she does? Or anything next to her relationship with her son, whom she could have puppetted for decades once he'd started running for offices.

• Like 2

Wade make a good point. His mom really should have realized how completely the game had changed by now, with him as a player. Old age and treachery will win eventually, but will there be any prizes worth the bother once she does? Or anything next to her relationship with her son, whom she could have puppetted for decades once he'd started running for offices.

Unless the sheer thrill of victory - and every cent that lines it - is the prize she's looking for?

All things considered, I don't see how this can end any other way than with Elizabeth flat out dead.

Edited by MJ85
  • Like 2

Seriously. Restraining the urge to punch several of my fellow college students when they spoke of $100,000 limits on their credit cards occupied far too much of my time. On the other hand, I did use the fact that I was generally taller, fitter, and darker than most of the other kids to lean on certain susceptible peers, including my first roommate. Saved me a world of trouble, some times, and let me talk my way out of situations rather than pull out a weapon.

See, I went to University of Delaware. It's not quite as richie-rich as say Duke, but you can tell the school has money and it attracted a certain type of person- upper middle class/affluent people from Long Island/North New Jersey. There was a certain uniform for girls- Northface fleece, LV or CC sunglasses, leggings, and a pair of Uggs. Most lived in the tanning booth. Guys tended to lean towards polo shirts, plaid shorts, and either flip-flops, boating shoes, or mocassins. Most kids get apartments or townhouses after freshmen year, paid for by Mommy and Daddy,. There's actually a current building boom of off-campus housing to take advantage of this- there's some nice-ass townhouses that were built solely for the affluent students who have nice allowances. Nearly every kid went off to study abroad or went to Mexico for spring break, and it kind of sucked not to have the kind of resources they had. That's why it was a shock when I went to Indiana University of Pennyslvania for grad school- the school is solidly working class/lower middle class, and it's just not that preppy there. I had never seen frat boys wearing construction work boots before as actual footwear and not part of a construction worker costume. Sometone explained to me that a lot of the people there are from rural areas, hence the work boots. It was eye-opening going there, for sure, and kind of nice.

Also, yeah. Girls made out. I remember it being a joke that you never saw guys doing the same, and that people wouldn't cheer if they did. There was even an illustrated article about that in my college's newspaper. I'd stopped partying after college; apparently I missed the advent of the emo by just a bit. Too bad.

St. Patty's Day 2007...I'll never forget the time my bi-curious friend Steve(who I had a big crush on) made out with this cute Emo boy at a party. God, that was hot. I actually wound up coming out to my friend straight, stoner Steve(who I didn't crush on) when I tried to get him to make out with another guy at a party later in '07. He asked me if I was gay, and I just said yea. I think at another party, I wound up making out with a guy at a party, who was there with his ex-boyfriend, and some of the girls told me how cool that was.

It's going to be so much fun when CAP gets to Will, JJ, and John's college years of the mid/late 2000's- there's so much fun for Mark to write about, like drunk dials and sexting and YouTube video postings.

I'm not sure I see Wade becoming an actual politician- he seems more like someone who'd become an advisor and also rally for certain causes...gay marriage debates are about to heat up in the next few years, but actual office? I'm not sure he wants to play that kind of game.

Here's what I think could be interesting- if Gathan Hayes somehow gets into the orbit of La Danfield...he'd be an incredibly useful puppet. If Gathan winds up settling down with Kristin or another woman and keeps mum on the fact that he's sucked dick, you've got a classic American can-do story of a guy from humble beginnings who rises above- which would be incredibly appealing to Middle America. And Gathan being from Ohio makes it even better- Ohio has proven time and time again that it's an important swing state and that Republicans can't win the big one without winning Ohio, so La Danfield having a politician from that state in her back pocket would be incredibly useful. If she could get over her snobbery of Gathan's dad being a trashman, it'd be a pretty strategic grooming. We've already seen that for someone of Gathan's background, Gathan is pretty damned naieve and trusting, so it wouldn't be hard. If fucking Zach Hayes could manipulate Gathan, I think someone like La Danfield could do it in her sleep.,

Edited by methodwriter85
  • Like 2

I really enjoyed the latest chapter of Paternity. I can't wait to see how far Elizabeth will go to keep the power and position that her family money gives her. I almost feel like we should be getting ready for the Rumble in the Jungle with Ali and Frazier, except we know how Elizabeth feels about black men...

I still can't wait to see what the Senator is up to, I think this meeting he keeps talking about with Wade is going to blow a lot of peoples mind's... I don't know why but I think this may change the outlook for a lot of what is going on between Wade and his mother. Even with her family money, a great deal of her influence comes from having a Senator as a husband. I have to wonder how long that will last???

• Like 1

It is interesting that David and I are thinking the every same thing. In my review of chapter 70, I said that Wade reflected many of the quallties of President Lincoln. One thing I forgot, was that whose of you from the south may not think so highly of Mr. Lincoln. Having lived in the north most of my life I forgot other parts of the country have a different points of view, Forgive me. As for Wade it is interesting that as we have gotten to know him better he has only grown more. He has become that noble hero, the knight riding out to do battle with no thought of himself but only of that is right, He willingness to gave up half his money and risk his future for the sake of his grandmother shows something noble.. What is more interesting is that the battlelines are being drawn. Who will the Senator chose? We have worked out the relationships between Will and Brad and through that relationship Will and Brad's relationships with the others, Now is the time ro see this relationship worked on. Only Mark knows how far and to what lengths Elizabeth will go to retain her money and power. It will take all the Wade's power and strength to win this one, Let's hope he can do it without loosing his soul, like Brad almost did,

If you would forgive me a moment The film which came out on Friday LINCOLN was one a the nost interesting portals of the 16th president I ever saw. See it, you will not be sorry. It shows a man not a myth, a human being , loving father to one son and rejecting the older one, a person who can argue with his wife but still love her, a man who can tell stories and jokes even in maybe because of the over whelming sorrow of this endless war, Even whose who are not big Lincoln fans with enjoy this outstanding film.

Edited by rjo

Quick Question - and it's probably Private Tim who can answer this best....

In the UK, if a trust was divested to the control of its owner, then that would be irreversible. I don't know how it would be in the US, but for me, Wade's grandmother would NOT be able to recover half of Wade's trust from him - she would have a cause of action against the previous trustee(s) however for mismanagement of the fund.... I don't know if this would be the case in the US though??

IF this was the case in the US too, then it's all the more dangerous for Wade's mother. I'm only asking this because it seems that if Wade's mother held power of attorney over her mother, she could recover half of Wade's trust anyway using the same legal process as his Grandmother could potentially use? It seems to me that she would have already done so given how mad she was that Wade had gained control in the first place?

West

IF this was the case in the US too, then it's all the more dangerous for Wade's mother. I'm only asking this because it seems that if Wade's mother held power of attorney over her mother, she could recover half of Wade's trust anyway using the same legal process as his Grandmother could potentially use? It seems to me that she would have already done so given how mad she was that Wade had gained control in the first place?

Wouldn't that make all her elaborate scheming over money pointless, then, if she could just swoop in and snag his money whenever she felt like it? Solely from a logical standpoint (I know nothing about trust law), it would seem that she would not be able to just do that, otherwise that would defeat the purpose of so much of these recent events.

I'm not sure I see Wade becoming an actual politician- he seems more like someone who'd become an advisor and also rally for certain causes...gay marriage debates are about to heat up in the next few years, but actual office? I'm not sure he wants to play that kind of game.

At first, yeah. But after a certain point, he's going to realize that he'll be more able to fight for those ideals and causes, and more effectively stymie his mother, from inside the system. Even propping up his brother or cousin wouldn't work as effectively. He's the Danfield that's openly gay and had a child out of wedlock. He could count on at least politeness from his father's traditional allies, especially if he spent time in his father's wake before doing all this, and use his status and name to begin courting more left organizations that wouldn't give the rest of his family the time of day. To put it another way, there's only so far Senator Danfield can stray from his backer's, even in support of his son, without ticking them off. But Wade wouldn't owe them a thing, as they'd never support him anyways, but he could pull the moderate towards him with his liberal lifestyle combined with his blueblood background. But only he could do it; the rest of his family simply wouldn't have the prereqs for getting liberal support, and would find their support base to be entirely on the right.

In any case, I had been talking about Elizabeth's previous plans for Wade. She almost certainly had his life planned out: married to some cool-headed but dumb-as-a-box-of-rocks woman would never dare challenge her authority, shaping him to smoothly take over his father's legacy once the elder Danfield retired. Maybe a state rep seat at first, or something in the governor's cabinet, anything to build his statewide recognition. Perhaps even Lieutenant Governor (since Governors of Virginia can't serve consecutive terms). Stanford must have come as a rude shock to her, and then Matt, and all downhill from there.

Edited by B1ue
  • Like 1

Wouldn't that make all her elaborate scheming over money pointless, then, if she could just swoop in and snag his money whenever she felt like it? Solely from a logical standpoint (I know nothing about trust law), it would seem that she would not be able to just do that, otherwise that would defeat the purpose of so much of these recent events.

But thats my understanding. Because her power of attorney would allow her to act AS and ON BEHALF of her Mother, any action that the grandmother can potentially do, Wade's mother can too. That's why I think it unlikely she can do anything about taking back half of Wade's trust - becuase if it were possible it would already have been done. I think that when she asked if Wade was willing to lose half his trust, she was using a stupid ploy to try and win him over. I don't think Wade's money is at risk at all - I think that at the end of it all, Wade would be the only one with any money left, and that Elizabeth would be destitute, the cost of legal action having absorbed her own wealth back into her mother's?

I think that at the end of it all, Wade would be the only one with any money left, and that Elizabeth would be destitute, the cost of legal action having absorbed her own wealth back into her mother's?

Assuming she's even still around to do anything with any kind of money by the time this is all over... :gikkle:

At first, yeah. But after a certain point, he's going to realize that he'll be more able to fight for those ideals and causes, and more effectively stymie his mother, from inside the system. Even propping up his brother or cousin wouldn't work as effectively. He's the Danfield that's openly gay and had a child out of wedlock. He could count on at least politeness from his father's traditional allies, especially if he spent time in his father's wake before doing all this, and use his status and name to begin courting more left organizations that wouldn't give the rest of his family the time of day. To put it another way, there's only so far Senator Danfield can stray from his backer's, even in support of his son, without ticking them off. But Wade wouldn't owe them a thing, as they'd never support him anyways, but he could pull the moderate towards him with his liberal lifestyle combined with his blueblood background. But only he could do it; the rest of his family simply wouldn't have the prereqs for getting liberal support, and would find their support base to be entirely on the right.

That is an incredibly good point.

It does seem like Wade and Matt will likely settle in California after graduation, which is why I don't think Wade will get that into politics like he would have if he had gone back to D.C. The impression that I get from CA politics is that all those damn referendums they're allowed to have gridlock a lot of things...correct me if I'm wrong, of course. I'm not sure Wade would want to deal with the frustration of California politics. Politics are never pretty, but they look really, really bad in California, especially by the time of the recall election that gave birth to the Governator.

Of course, California is important for the fact that it's 55 electoral votes for the Democratic party, but it'd more exciting if Wade tried his political career in Virginia, which is more of a swing state.

In any case, I had been talking about Elizabeth's previous plans for Wade. She almost certainly had his life planned out: married to some cool-headed but dumb-as-a-box-of-rocks woman would never dare challenge her authority, shaping him to smoothly take over his father's legacy once the elder Danfield retired. Maybe a state rep seat at first, or something in the governor's cabinet, anything to build his statewide recognition. Perhaps even Lieutenant Governor (since Governors of Virginia can't serve consecutive terms). Stanford must have come as a rude shock to her, and then Matt, and all downhill from there.

You know for damn sure that Elizabeth already has Riley registered for kindergarten at a choice school for the fall of 2005. I'm sure she probably transferred all of that onto Riley, which is why I want Riley to become childhood sweethearts with Maddy. That would horrify La Danfield- her grandson falling for the daughter of a crazy lesbian from trashy New Jersey? No way would Maddy ever be acceptable for the first-born of the new generation.

Like I said though, if La Danfield can somehow get Gathan Hayes into her orbit, he would be pretty easy for her to mold. Gathan's political views don't seem strongly leftist or strongly right, and the kind of background he has appeals to the Rust Belt mindset. At the same time, if he does wind up with Kristin Hendrickson, he'll have a cache with the rich of Ohio as well. The one problem with this is Gathan's impulsive temper, but that can be easily taken care of with some Lexapro discretely administered by the same doctor who kept Nana on her meds.

Having a future Ohio politician in her corner would be an incredibly good opportunity for her, especially as the Republican party begins to become desperate to win Ohio in subsequent elections. Mitt and co. dropped a lot of money there this year, right?

Edited by methodwriter85

But thats my understanding. Because her power of attorney would allow her to act AS and ON BEHALF of her Mother, any action that the grandmother can potentially do, Wade's mother can too. That's why I think it unlikely she can do anything about taking back half of Wade's trust - becuase if it were possible it would already have been done. I think that when she asked if Wade was willing to lose half his trust, she was using a stupid ploy to try and win him over. I don't think Wade's money is at risk at all - I think that at the end of it all, Wade would be the only one with any money left, and that Elizabeth would be destitute, the cost of legal action having absorbed her own wealth back into her mother's?

There is a difference, though, between a grantor and a trustee. Depending on the type of trust (irrevocable vs. revocable), Nana could make some changes to her trusts. In any event, I think they're probably irrevocable, which means that it would be tough for her to make changes, other than to take over control as trustee.

Elizabeth has used that power, as trustee, to manipulate Wade, but even more with Mary Ellen. That power will be gone now.

So, I was trolling through Wikipedia to check my memories against analysis of the recall election, and came across this. Do you recall my mentioning that if you got a certain GPA and scored a certain level on SATs or ACTs, you were guaranteed enrollment in a UC? Eligibility in the Local Context was apparently the program I was talking about.

There is a difference, though, between a grantor and a trustee. Depending on the type of trust (irrevocable vs. revocable), Nana could make some changes to her trusts. In any event, I think they're probably irrevocable, which means that it would be tough for her to make changes, other than to take over control as trustee.

Well, in this case, We know that the grantor of the trust was Raleigh (grandfather), because we know that when Roscoe came out, he decided that the trusts for the younger siblings should have different conditions than those in Wade's trust. We also know from this that the trusts are irrevocable, because otherwise, Raleigh would have changed the terms of Wade's trust to match his new-found feelings.

This tells us that Wade's mother's contention that he could lose half of his own trust cannot be true. She is obviously desperate.

If Wade's trust was unduly enriched by the master trust, then there is a legal consequence for the trustee of the master trust, who is personally liable. This is why I asked my question, because if Wade's grandmother is able to remove elizabeth's power of attorney, she can also sue for misuse of the master trust, no?

All I'm saying is that potentially, Elizabeth could lose everything here.... her family, her power, her money (and indeed the husband who I suspect is about to divorce her)....

• Like 1

All I'm saying is that potentially, Elizabeth could lose everything here.... her family, her power, her money (and indeed the husband who I suspect is about to divorce her)....

I'm not convinced she won't lose her life in the end!

So, I was trolling through Wikipedia to check my memories against analysis of the recall election, and came across this. Do you recall my mentioning that if you got a certain GPA and scored a certain level on SATs or ACTs, you were guaranteed enrollment in a UC? Eligibility in the Local Context was apparently the program I was talking about.

I didn't know about that. Interesting. Here in Missouri, entrance into Mizzou, the system's flagship campus, is assessed primarily by ACT scores. You get over a 24, you get in. (Provided you have the required courses)

Well, in this case, We know that the grantor of the trust was Raleigh (grandfather), because we know that when Roscoe came out, he decided that the trusts for the younger siblings should have different conditions than those in Wade's trust. We also know from this that the trusts are irrevocable, because otherwise, Raleigh would have changed the terms of Wade's trust to match his new-found feelings.

This tells us that Wade's mother's contention that he could lose half of his own trust cannot be true. She is obviously desperate.

If Wade's trust was unduly enriched by the master trust, then there is a legal consequence for the trustee of the master trust, who is personally liable. This is why I asked my question, because if Wade's grandmother is able to remove elizabeth's power of attorney, she can also sue for misuse of the master trust, no?

I think you're right. I would have to believe that Elizabeth would have other resources (since the master trusts seemed to apply to her children, not to her) but I think it will definitely make a huge impact on her power. Money=Power, and she's already lost Wade's assets. Now tack on Mary Ellen and Beau's money, plus whatever is there, and her bankers and investment advisors won't be quite so willing to do her bidding.

The new chapter is up and WOW...

I just love the place that Wade and Matt are in now; they seem to be able to read each other without anything being said. It is such a change from what seems like just a short while ago... I really think these two are going to last maybe easier than any other couple in the CAP universe.

I think that Wade and Nana played that just perfect with Elizabeth. I do think they all need to be very careful, Elizabeth is bound to try something before Monday. She will either bribe someone to get information or try to have them do something to Nana. I hope that Jack is able to keep people he trust around her. I can't wait for Claire to get through with her makeover and the impression that will have on Elizabeth and the court when she shows up on Monday.

I hope this doesn't delay or change what the Senator is going to do that he will be talking to Wade about next Friday. I really think the Senator is going to leave Elizabeth and I can't wait to see how that plays out.

I just freaking love this story....

• Like 2

“Mrs. Garrett, I’m Dr. Jack Hobart,” he said, giving her his most charming smile.

“You’re very handsome,” she said to him coquettishly, cracking me up.

“I am,” Jack agreed. “How are you feeling?

I honestly laughed out loud at this. Jack is awesome.

• Like 2

The new chapter is up and WOW...

I just love the place that Wade and Matt are in now; they seem to be able to read each other without anything being said. It is such a change from what seems like just a short while ago... I really think these two are going to last maybe easier than any other couple in the CAP universe.

I think that Wade and Nana played that just perfect with Elizabeth. I do think they all need to be very careful, Elizabeth is bound to try something before Monday. She will either bribe someone to get information or try to have them do something to Nana. I hope that Jack is able to keep people he trust around her. I can't wait for Claire to get through with her makeover and the impression that will have on Elizabeth and the court when she shows up on Monday.

I hope this doesn't delay or change what the Senator is going to do that he will be talking to Wade about next Friday. I really think the Senator is going to leave Elizabeth and I can't wait to see how that plays out.

I just freaking love this story....

I think the Senator has his plan and he'll stick to it, but I think that he'll probably be a bit thrown off by all of this. I'm so glad you like this story!

it's all just going too bloody smoothly - I feel like I am in the movie "Jaws" and that music has just started.......

You're channeling Will, not Wade. Posted Image

[/font][/color]

I always hope you guys appreciate the little comedic bombs I try to throw into the dialog. Posted Image

• Like 1

[/font][/color]

And Jack looks like this, so there's that, too.

Posted Image

God, what I wouldn't give for a night in the sack with THAT. Posted Image

Anyway, there was this funny SNL skit from '02 with Kirsten Dunst. Rachel Dratch played a grandmother who was getting heavily medicated by her family. It made me think of this storyline.

Important Information

Our Privacy Policy can be found here: Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue..