Ban on same-sex stories in romance competition causes outcry

option

Ban on same-sex stories in romance competition causes outcry

Romance Writers Ink's 'More than Magic' contest accepts vampires and werewolves but not gay and lesbian tales

http://www.guardian.co.uk/books/2012/feb/08/ban-same-sex-romance-competition

Love is patient and kind – and strictly between a man and a woman, at least according to an Oklahoma-based romantic writing competition, which decided to ban same-sex entries and prompted a furious backlash from romantic fiction authors.

Romance Writers Ink, the Tulsa, Oklahoma chapter of the Romance Writers of America, runs the "More than Magic" writing competition. The contest accepts entries covering romance about vampires and werewolves, romance set in the future and the past, erotica and urban fantasy – but decided this year that it would "no longer accept same-sex entries in any category".

Romantic fiction novelist Kari Gregg says she got in touch with the contest to ask why, and was told that "RWI chapter members were uncomfortable with accepting same-sex contest entries. 'Same-sex was just too much.'"

The news was met with an incensed reaction from authors, who suggested boycotting the contest altogether, wrote to RWI to complain and spread the word across the internet. Gregg told the Guardian that she was "staggered" by RWI's "nonchalance". "The arrogant presumption that their behaviour was OK infuriated me as a professional, who (reasonably) expected her work to be considered with the same courtesy and respect afforded to every other romance book, but also as a parent of a LGBT young adult," she said. "Both the professional and the parent responded with an immediate, 'how dare they?'"

"Romance is a genre that is not only about love, but also one that explores people finding an identity and their place within the community," agreed the author Courtney Milan. "To bar same-sex romances from recognition implies that same-sex couples do not deserve to have the same exploration of identity and community belonging that heterosexual couples enjoy. That is a very dangerous and discriminatory message to send."

The Tulsa organisation has now cancelled the competition, saying in a statement on its website that "we have heard and understood the issues raised, and will take those concerns into consideration should the chapter elect to hold contests in the future".

"Please note: our contest coordinator, Jackie, is a chapter member who graciously volunteered to collect entries and sort by category. It is unfortunate that she has become the object of personal ridicule and abuse," added RWI. "We recognise the decision to disallow same-sex entries is highly charged. We also opted not to accept YA entries. We do not condone discrimination against individuals of any sort."

Author Heidi Cullinan, president of Rainbow Romance Writers, the gay, lesbian, bisexual and transgender chapter of the Romance Writers of America, was reluctant to claim cancellation of the contest as a victory. "I suppose it is in a way, but mostly the whole thing makes me sad," said Cullinan. "It's clear the chapter felt threatened and still doesn't fully understand that they were discriminating. The excuse of the moment seems to be that 'same-sex romance is a genre'. No, we aren't. I'll buy that we're a group, a demographic perhaps, but no more than 'Southern women romances' should be a genre or 'non-Caucasians' should be a genre. Same-sex romances cover every genre you can imagine and every one recognized by RWA – even inspirationals."

also covered here

http://jezebel.com/5883305/romance-contest-fine-with-werewolves-but-gay-people-are-just-too-much

• Like 1

It feels very much like a school that decides to ban all non-sport extracurricular groups rather than allow a GSA. They're flat-out lying when they're claiming, "We do not condone discrimination against individuals of any sort."

• Like 1

It's sad to see this. Romance comes in every size, shape, color and even human and non-human. There should be no limits or boundry on a writer's creative talent. If the contest states the only theme is romance then it should be open to all romance.

• Like 1

• Site Administrator

I follow a blog that lodged the protest for this. *shakes head* When are people going to open their eyes and see the reality that it doesn't matter who you love?

• Like 1

I follow a blog that lodged the protest for this. *shakes head* When are people going to open their eyes and see the reality that it doesn't matter who you love?

In today's world, it matters very much who you love. There's still a great deal of emotion involving inter-generation, inter-class, and inter-race love. This is not something that can or, I would argue, should change overnight.

I would like to bring in a very old perspective on this (on homosexuality in general) proposed by Patrick Devlin, a follower of Edmund Burke, who was a very famous conservative English member of parliament in the 1700s.

In England we believe in the Christian idea of marriage and therefore adopt monogamy as a moral principle. Consequently the Christian institution of marriage has become the basis of family life and so part of the structure of our society. It is there not because it is Christian. It has got there because it is Christian, but it remains there because it is built into the house in which we live and could not be removed without bringing it down. The great majority of those who live in this country accept it because it is the Christian idea of marriage and for them the only true one. But a non-Christian is bound by it, not because it is part of Christianity but because, rightly or wrongly, it has been adopted by the society in which he lives. -- Patrick Devlin, Baron Devlin, in Morals and the Criminal Law

I believe that today, Devlin would have argued against this law (which was discriminitory to homosexuals), because society has clearly changed. We are moving toward a world where more kinds of love are thought of as OK. This is inherently a slow process, but by all accounts it is moving in (what we would say is) the right direction.

So this small episode shouldn't be thought of as the harbinger of a new era of discrimination, but it (and the response to it) shows that Romance Writers Ink's point of view is becoming challenged, when just 50 years ago, it would have been the norm.

Stay positive.

• Like 1

The part that bothers me is the quote about the person who organized the contest being the target of "ridicule and abuse". I agree a million percent that banning same sex romance stories was totally wrong but the second you start threatening or making of someone personally you lose the moral high ground and have no right to claim you stand against discrimination. People need to learn to go after issues and ideas, not individual people.

I doubt anyone would consider that a win. Now instead of writer having the opportunity to win, everyone ends up losing. Competitions need to realize that more than one area of their reading public can be served. Instead of limiting it to one group, they will find an entirely new reading public to sell and cater too. Where is the problem in that?

Edited by comicfan