GA 4th Annual Playoff Pool

• Site Administrator

We have till Monday at Midnight Pacific Time to edit our picks right?

Tonight!!!

Jersey and the Panthers will have their second game done in about 4 hours, but as a bonus you will be able to change till Midnight tonight, which means we will know the outcome of the Vancouver/LA game as well.

Edit to Add: that is if the Vancouver/LA game doesn't take a turn like the just finished Philly/Penguins game. Wow, that was a lot of fighting :)

So I guess to clarify, 12:00 AM MDT is the cut off.

Edited by wildone

Is it always this exciting and violent?

Also something I've always wondered about Hockey, has anyone ever took off their skates and use it to bludgeon the offending player during a game? I mean it just seems like fights can get escalated to that level really easily.

Is it always this exciting and violent?

Also something I've always wondered about Hockey, has anyone ever took off their skates and use it to bludgeon the offending player during a game? I mean it just seems like fights can get escalated to that level really easily.

Very rarely is there this much fighting in the playoffs. Fights bring five minute majors to offenders, which means leaving your team a man down on one of the lines. Thats not good when the stakes are high like in the playoffs. It takes a lot for a fight to happen at this stage in the season.

• Site Administrator

And to answer your question, NO, nobody has taken off their skates to bludgeon another player :P

I agree with Tet here, fighting is not the usual in the playoffs. If you did happen to see the Pittsburgh/Philadelphia game today that is something you used to see 20 years ago, but now with the increase discipline four or five players may be sitting out Game 4 due to their antics.

One thing to keep in mind also, usually in the regular season you are playing a different team every night. You may see the same team twice in a one week span but playoffs find you facing off against the same team 4, 5, 6 or 7 times in as little as 14 nights. It isn't hard to imagine that tempers flare up after so many games against the same team.

This also a reason that some teams can do so great in the Regular season and come up flat in the playoffs. Only one competitor to face instead of a new one every second or third night.

Posted Image

Cracked his helmet on the glass. NHL ruling: No suspension.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XhjhBMGYEng

Elbow to the head. NHL ruling: 3 playoff game suspension.

Guess the NHL Wheel of Justice is back.

Edit: The only player ever to take off his skate and try to stab someone with it was Happy Gilmore Posted Image

Edited by BlueSoxSWJ

Blue, we have similar taste in comedy :D (Personally, I thought Happy Gilmore beats Caddyshack as the best golf/comedy movie, not really a fan of Chevy chase)

Compared with the Ranger-Senators violence earlier, the Flyer vs. Penguin was a new level of ferocity that I never seen. I hate to say it, but it was entertaining; though it's entertaining in a way that Roman audiences want to see gladiators chop each other to bits

The Flyers are looking like they will win the series at this point.

Revised picks:

East Quarterfinal Winners

New York Rangers

Boston Bruins

Philadelphia Flyers

Florida Panthers

West Quarterfinal Winners

Los Angeles Kings

St. Louis Blues

Chicago Blackhawks

Detroit Red Wings

East Semifinal Winners

New York Rangers

Boston Bruins

West Semifinal Winners

St. Louis Blues

Detroit Red Wings

Eastern Conference Champions

Boston Bruins

Western Conference Champions

St. Louis Blues

Stanley Cup Champions

St. Louis Blues

Updated picks:

(1) NYR over (8) OTT in 6

(2) BOS over (7) WAS in 6

(6) NJD over (3) FLA in 6

(5) PHI over (4) PIT in 4

(8) LAK over (1) VAN in 5

(7) SJS over (2) STL in 7

(6) CHI over (3) PHO in 6

(5) DET over (4) NAS in 7

--

(1) NYR over (6) NJD in 6

(2) BOS over (5) PHI in 4

(6) CHI over (7) SJS in 5

(5) DET over (8) LAK in 7

--

(2) BOS over (1) NYR in 6

(5) DET over (6) CHI in 6

--

(2) BOS over (1) DET in 7

• Site Administrator

So all entries are in now. No more changes allowed. I have two emailed in entries and they will be posted for their points only.

I always play but I don't get a chance to win. Here is what I picked ahead of time and no changes to my original selection:

1st Round

East: New York, Boston, Florida, Philadelphia

West: St. Louis, Nashville, Chicago, Los Angeles

2nd Round

East: Boston, Philadelphia

West: St. Louis, Chicago

3rd Round

East: Philadelphia

West: St. Louis

Stanley Cup Champs:

St. Louis Blues in seven games Posted Image

Thanks for everyone to enter, without my guesses, we have 15 players including one gurl :P

Edited by wildone
It is 14 players, 1 gurl, and one person who doesn't count :)

So, you gonna light your city ablaze again when Vancouver loses?

LMAO !!!

I watched the game last night; even though it was only a 1-0 game, it was still some good hockey. And I'll be all over the Vancouver Sun (local paper) Wednesday night to see if the locals get stupid if they lose (thank God the game is in Los Angeles).

Can Vancouver recover and make up this 3-0 playoff series to come back at 3-4?

The flyers did it in 2010, can Vancouver do it in 2012?

Frankly, I don't give a crap whom you cheer for or whomever you want to crap on. Whine away all you like. My point, which you totally missed, is that Calgary fans, particularly when they're out of the playoffs, love to rag on the Cunucks. It's become a national cliche.

Maybe thats because your team is full of thugs, as clearly demonstrated in the Stanley Cup last year.

Maybe thats because your team is full of thugs, as clearly demonstrated in the Stanley Cup last year.

Them are fighting words :D

How many members went to jail? :D

• Site Administrator

Well that ends the chances of anyone getting swept :)

Some stats I heard on the radio today....Only 3 teams in the history of the seven game playoff format have ever won after being down 3-0. One team in baseball, and none in basketball.

So never say never!

BTW, doesn't anyone else think that a best of seven series would be great in professional football? :P Football, Hockey and Basketball are all 60 minutes games. Not sure about how much time the ball is actually in play in baseball. Lot of crotch grabbing, spitting, warm up swings, lead offs from the bases :D

NBA quarters are only 12 minutes, so the game is 48 minutes. The problem with a seven game series in football is that you would either end up with the whole team injured, or you would keep the regular spacing, which means the 7 game series would take 7 weeks ...

Meanwhile, the Canucks need one more win still to avoid the fastest playoff exit ever by a President's Trophy winner.

• Site Administrator

NBA quarters are only 12 minutes, so the game is 48 minutes. The problem with a seven game series in football is that you would either end up with the whole team injured, or you would keep the regular spacing, which means the 7 game series would take 7 weeks ...

Meanwhile, the Canucks need one more win still to avoid the fastest playoff exit ever by a President's Trophy winner.

A 7 game football series would be very lengthy. A single NFL game is extremely taxing physically on the body, and playing more then one game a week would be risking serious injuries to multiple players.

I was joking about the 7 game football series :P It was more into the relationship of all the hitting and cheap shots in the NHL playoffs this year. I think one game of hockey is about a game equivalent of football right now :)

I wouldn't be surprised if my beloved Flames were the fastest exiting President's Trophy winners. I think they had the one year where they were out the first round after winning it. Then again, you may be wondering if Pittsburgh had the most goals in a playoff game with 10, unfortunately the LA Kings have the record when the scored 12 goals against my Flames in 1990 in one game :D

4 Presidents' Trophy winners have fallen in round one: 1999-2000 Blues in 7 to SJ, 2005-2006 Red Wings in 6 to EDM, 2008-2009 Sharks in 6 to ANA, and the 2009-2010 Capitals in 7 to MTL. Of course, the Presidents' Trophy has only existed since the 1985-86 season. Until 1968, it was the Prince of Wales Trophy awarded to the regular season's best team, but that became the trophy for the Eastern Conference regular season winner with the '68 expansion, and then the Eastern Conference playoff champion in 1981. From 1968-1985, the trophy for winning the regular season for the entire NHL was ... nothing.