Youtube Covers Vs. Originals

In many cases cover's get more press than the original renditions on youtube... And i like following people who do covers and stuff... so yeah... share your favorite Youtube covers or share instances that the original is still better...

Discussion on Channels whose main point is spewing out covers is also very welcome!

MY FAVORITE MUSIC COVER CHANNEL on YOUTUBE:

Kurt Hugo Schneider

he works with youtube artists like

Sam Tsui =

Max Scheider =

and even Alex Goot -

My all time favorite cover though is this:

I like:

Walk off the Earth's cover of

And Pomplamoose covering

and

And First Aid Kit covering

and for instrumental covers I like

and

There's lots of good stuff out there :)

There are times that covers are much better than the originals

Sometimes they put in as much effort n ferry the cost more than the actual artist who does it for profit

but then there are covers on iTunes ... isn't it illegal? esp if u not paying royalities or gotten permission?

its ok if on utube for free ... isn't this where the line is drawn?

perhaps these reality singing shows the show paid royalties ... giving a cost to cost performance

in uk they give road show concerts ... do they do that in the usa?

I never really liked many covers done on Youtube. The vast majority are just people who feel a need to get themselves on the web despite the fact that they really got nothing special going on for em. I do like Boyce Avenue a whole lot though.

MGMT(back when they were amateurs in 2003), doing a cover of This Must Be The Place by the Talking Heads.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MTiFNQBRwwU

They are so stoned that it's hilarious, especially when they get hit with the giggles towards the end.

Another Youtube cover by a band called Before You Exit. Here, they're taking on What Makes You Beautiful by One Direction.

Covers of songs usually aren't as great as the original. Especially when it's from the cookie cutter singers on YouTube. Most of them sing a bunch of lyrics with just a smile on their faces, a pretty voice it may be, but that isn't enough.

However, there's one cover that gives me shivers up and down my spine. It's not always about how high you can go, it's about doing justice to the text and the music.

sure there are wannabe's ... fans having fun

but there are those with real talent ... those are the ones that should open your eyes

those are the ones can even make the original pale

and the rare ones that make you do a second take because they thought out of the box of the original song

its just that youtube doesn't have a filter to exclude the users you don't want to see in your searches

Covers of songs usually aren't as great as the original. Especially when it's from the cookie cutter singers on YouTube. Most of them sing a bunch of lyrics with just a smile on their faces, a pretty voice it may be, but that isn't enough.

sure there are wannabe's ... fans having fun

but there are those with real talent ... those are the ones that should open your eyes

those are the ones can even make the original pale

and the rare ones that make you do a second take because they thought out of the box of the original song

its just that youtube doesn't have a filter to exclude the users you don't want to see in your searches

so true... :) that's why i invest a good amount fo time in doing searches in youtube... at times you end up with "Cookie Cutter" singers as what Ryan Jo is talking about... but you sometimes hit the mother-lode with some channels...

I remember Ryan Narciso, Karmin and Tanner Patrick who i started viewing way before they became huge hits...

What i like about covers is that they are done by ordinary people... and it's easier to relate to them and the song... like when Ryan Narciso sang Stand Out, it felt authentic... and when Chrisitna Grimmie did a cover of Charice's Pyramid, you feel that intensity... lol... you know... when a millionaire artist talks about struggles, it feels so detached..

maybe i just have a soft spot for indie artists... lol...

A millionaire artist could've had, and could still be going through struggles. Doesn't make it less credible because of money.

Besides if they really wanted to be authentic.... they could've written their own song. Posted Image

Edited by ryan jo

Johnny Cash covered Trent Reznor's Hurt, now that song you can't listen to without shivering i know its not youtube singers but its a good cover, i htink,

original, damn them notes outside dat scale

[media=]

cover Edited by thatboyChase
  • Like 1
  • 1 month later...

I don't know if this counts as a cover, but I think it's genius. But there is a girl that signs (yes, as in ASL) Cee Lo Greene's "Forget You." Not sure if I can post it, since it has the f word in it... I'm new to posting videos and don't wanna get in trouble. Posted Image

Edited by rckclimber27

I typicially hate covers. Hate. Hate, hate, hate. An artist has a vision and I think the final recording of a song that realized, to be heard as it's supposed to. However, I heard this version of Creep by Radiohead and I think it's brilliant.

Edited by ashessnow