Scientists might have found God! (The particle that is)

W_L

The most elusive force in the universe might have been discovered by scientists in Europe.

http://www.cnn.com/2012/07/04/tech/physics-higgs-particle/index.html?hpt=hp_t2

With this discovery, we might be one step closer to understanding the creation of mass in the universe.

I like how this is possible one of the biggest discoveries in science today but somehow Tom Cruise's divorce is still the bigger news.

This is one of the biggest discoveries since Einsteing published his famout E=Mc2 equation ! And it happened within our lifetimes. As Stephen Hawking said, if it's proven to the 5 Sigma level it will gain Peter Higgs the Nobel prize for Physics.

As amazing as this seems, it will just give politicians something else to dismiss, along with evolution and global warming.

A Higgs boson walks into a church.

"We don't allow Higgs bosons in here!" shouts the priest.

"But without me, how can you have mass?" asks the particle.

Looooooooooooooooooool

Edited by Arpeggio
  • Like 3

A Higgs boson walks into a church.

"We don't allow Higgs bosons in here!" shouts the priest.

"But without me, how can you have mass?" asks the particle.

Looooooooooooooooooool

Great, now he just needs to convert you all :)

This is awesome news! I was talking to the folks at UC Riverside just last week who had worked as part of the team to discover the higgs-bosun particle. It's been a huge, international undertaking for quantum physicists. Building the LHC took years and so did running the experiments that have led to this result.

Yeah, but before y'all get too excited and take out a payment plan for that "anti-gravity" car you saw advertised in Craigslist, remember the generous sprinkling of "mights" and "probablys" - which I'm sure has nothing at all to do with the red faces after it was reported that CERN's neutrino experiment showed Einstein was wrong .... :D

Aye, but it was Italian physicists, not Cern. Still i want someone to break the light barrier too!

Besides if you want a flying car, it needs to be a delorean with a flux capacitor :)

In fact the OPERA neutrino project was a joint experiment between CERN and LNGS in Italy. The September 2011 announcement was by Antonio Ereditato for LNGS and James Gillies, a spokesperson for CERN - so not fair to blame it on the Italians :P

But I agree with you about the DeLorean and the flux capacitor :D

Guest enragedpillows

I agree, the name is "misleading" to those who don't follow science much.

I agree, the name is "misleading" to those who don't follow science much.

True, but it is great joke material. The original name from the stories was "the goddamn particle" due how hard it was to find them.

Now here's a question for scientists, if there are higgs bosons that make mass are there anti-higgs bosons that reduces mass. It would make dieting and gravity manipulation so much easier. :P

True, but it is great joke material.

We have preachers claiming that this discovery has proven the existence of god.

Completely untrue but these guys don't subscribe to Scientific American

Guest enragedpillows

I was on Reddit, and I saw a bunch of screenshots of theists saying "Scientists have found the God Particle. Suck on that Atheists!" The fail >.> People read "God Particle" and they stop right after.