Favorite Golden Oldies

methodwriter85

From Private Tim...

Here are the dance songs I remember being hot in the gay clubs in LA & SF when I was in school.

Vogue – Madonna, Missing (Todd Terry mix) – Everything But the Girl, Another Night – MC Sar and The Real McCoy, Rhythm is a Dancer – SNAP!, What Is Love? – Haddaway, Mr. Vain – Culture Beat, Be My Lover – La Bouche, Rhythm of the Night – Corona, Strike It Up – Black Box, Everybody Everybody – Black Box, Boom Boom Boom – The Outhere Brothers, We Like To Party – The Venga Boys, Tootsee Roll – 69 Boyz, Sweet Dreams – La Bouche, Around the World – Daft Punk, Everybody’s Free (To Feel Good) – Rozalla, Free (Mood II Swing mix) – Ultra Nate, If You Could Read My Mind – Stars on 54 (Amber, Jocelyn Enriquez, and Ultra Nate), Dreamer – Livin’ Joy, Put Your Loving Arms Around Me – Billie Ray Martin, Beautiful Life – Ace of Base, Tonight is the Night – Le Click, Short Dick Man – 20 Fingers and Gillette, Boot Scootin’ Boogie(original, club mix) – Brooks and Dunn, Move This (Shake That Body) – Technotronic, Lick it – 20 Fingers, Roula, Supermodel (You Better Work!) – RuPaul, If Madonna CallsJunior Vasquez, Cotton Eyed Joe – Rednex, Believe – Cher, Come And Get Your Love – Mc Sar and The Real Mccoy, Macarena – Los Del Rio, Barbie Girl – Aqua, Unbreak My Heart –Toni Braxton, Killing Me Softly – Roberta Flack,

You can find most of these on YouTube these days except for the ultra dirty versions of Short Dick Man, Lick It and a couple others. I had a great bunch of CD singles with all these and more and they were stolen when someone broke in my car about 10 years ago.

Thanks again, Private Tim!

Ooh Child - The Five Stairsteps

All by Myself - Eric Carmen

Rachmaninoff's Concerto No. 2 is also one of my favorites of classical work. (From Songfacts.com) Eric Carmen said he couldn't imagine Rachmaninoff was happy when he wrote Concerto No. 2 and Symphony No. 2. I read a few books on Rachmaninoff, so he was partially right. I remember he had just recovered from a deep depression prior to his completion of Concerto No. 2. He dedicated that score to Nikolai Dahl who helped him overcome his writer's block.

Edited by Ashi

Les Feuilles Mortes (Dead Leaves) by Yves Montand (English subtitled)

EDIT: Sorry, forgot to mention something, the lyrics of the French song was written by poet Jacques Prevert, and was featured in a French film, Les Portes de la Nuit, which premiered in 1946, after WWII.

Moon River sung by Audrey

Edited by Ashi

What?? No Beach Boys? No Marvin Gaye? What's Going On???

Inner City Blues (Make Me Wanna Holler), Marvin Gaye [1971]

This is a song from that album, about black America and life in the ghetto. Not many singers can say something with the power of Marvin Gaye. It is a terrific song.

Sloop John B, Beach Boys [1965]

This early stereo recording is an extended version with a much richer sound than the mono version that was released in 1966. My favourite BB song - a cover of an old folk song brilliantly arranged by Al Jardine and Brian Wilson. Interesting archive film too

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CjpA5X-9Bv0

• Like 1

My favourite golden oldies of the moment :D

The Kinks - Lola (always and forever :D )

T-Rex - Children of the Revolution

The Animals - Don't let me be misunderstood (those suits!)

Fine Young Cannibals - Good Thing

ELO - Evil Woman

Billy Joel - We didn't start the fire (this was my favourite song when I was three :D )

And some antipodean songs too :D

Sky Hooks - Horror Movie http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o7l8rlnMpCI

Dragon - Rain

Easybeats - Friday on my mind

• Like 1

Skyhooks? I still have one of their albums on vinyl! Ego Is Not A Dirty Word - "Even granny tunes her tranny to Three-F-Q!"

Oldie stuff to match?

New York Dolls first album

Rose of Avalanche - LA Rain

Bauhaus - Rose Garden Funeral Of Sores