Disaster Preparation

W_L

After this earthquake, I just got a thought in my head, how much do people plan for these things in Boston?

I mean, we're a coastal city with skyscrapers lining half the city and huge sections below sea-level like New Orleans.

We have a nuclear power plant a few miles out near Plymouth.

It feels unsettling to know that you can get caught flat footed without any disaster planning, except for running out of the house with your wallet and pray that you make it to open land in an urban area.

I am going to need to prepare for some contingencies, but I wonder if anyone else has ever done disaster planning and can give me tips.

The 'experts' say that my region is due for a major earthquake. I'm pretty sure none of the structures, like bridges, or buildings were planned with the thought of making it through a major earthquake. They are not something people could really predict when the pressure is too over loaded to cause the earthquake. We are though better prepared for Tornadoes, with the live Doppler and the news, sirens, and phone calls. Unlike earthquakes, tornadoes are predictable based on weather patterns, air masses/pressure, and temperature.

Different regions are likely more prepared... and I think if people prepare after a few disasters the better. You can learn how to react and prepare for an earthquake by following what people do in earthquake prone zones. Learn how to stay safe within a structure. What supplies would be best to keep in a secure/safe place.

There are some things you just cannot prepare for though.. like the power plant, if it fails, that's not on you. That was a loss for the experts, their failure. Usually individuals and what the individual needs.

Personally - I am not prepared for any natural disaster. (Slaps wrist.. bad Krista bad) :P

Edited by Krista

When a disaster strikes, if you are uninjured your biggest problems are going to be civil unrest and a lack of clean drinking water. Food and shelter obviously come in a close third and fourth. Ideal situation is to get out of the city as they are going to be hotspots for a long time.

I live with a crazy person (aka boyfriend), my house is stocked with a ridiculous amount of supplies. I even have a gas mask in my desk at work and in my car, along with my bug-out-bags. We even have a planned meet spot if I was to get stuck at work when a disaster hit and I know all the back ways (greenbelts) to get home if I have to walk the 19 or so miles. I always carry comfy shoes, coat and gloves, blankets, MRE, flashlight, water, etc in my car. My boyfriend works in the environmental industry, he sells and services all types of instruments for gas monitoring and hazard situations. He has full hazmat suits and fire suits in the basement along with respirators and re-breathers.

Pretty sure I could survive a while with the items in my house and our combined knowledge. (My knowledge= 54B, chemical ops, I did this crap daily when I was USAR)

Edited by Andreaa

I have been through several hurricanes and know better than to just wing it. I was without power for almost two weeks after Katrina.

If you've been through that you aren't going to just sit on your hands next time.

There are some fairly easy things to do that will make a big difference if you do get hit.

Bug-out Bag- when you've got to grab you stuff and go at a moments notice, you don't have time to pack. You need something ready to go when you are. You can go with a backpack or something like a gym bag.

http://disaster-prep.org/best-bug-out-bag/

Water/Ice- Save 2 liter pop bottles. Fill them with water and put some of them in your deep freeze. You will need water and the ice will last for days. In the event of a lengthy power outage, it will help keep food from thawing too rapidly in your freezer.

First Aid- You can spend yourself broke on a good first aid kit. In the event of a serious disaster, you may have to deal with serious injuries and be on your own for some time.

This is what I have:

Posted Image M-17 military first aid kit. Street value $100-200

Posted Image

Posted Image

The stocked M-17 has enough supplies to take care of small family for a week or two.

You can spend less (or more) but it's a good, comprehensive kit.

Another item that you might want to add to your basic first aid kit is a quick clot sponge. It can stop serious bleeding.

Posted Image

• Like 1

Matt you didn't miss much, no riots or zombies.

Thanks guys and ladies :P for the tips.

I am thinking of stocking up on dry chewable grandly or cereal bars, is that really better for disasters?

no riots or zombies.

Damnit! I can't wait to smak down zombies!

Something you might want to think about.

You can get a case of MREs (Meals Ready to Eat) for $70-100 bucks.

Two cases will last a month. They aren't wonderful but you won't starve and will keep your energy up during a time when you really need it.

After Katrina, we were out of usable food in about a week/10 days because we had no power to keep the refrigerator/freezer running.

Edited by jamessavik
  • Like 1

Damnit! I can't wait to smak down zombies!

Something you might want to think about.

You can get a case of MREs (Meals Ready to Eat) for $70-100 bucks.

Two cases will last a month. They aren't wonderful but you won't starve and will keep your energy up during a time when you really need it.

After Katrina, we were out of usable food in about a week/10 days because we had no power to keep the refrigerator/freezer running.

Another recommendation to buy cases of MREs. I have three in my basement along with a bunch of non-perishable food that I keep in constant rotation.

I heard canned corn, beans, and chili can last just as long as Mre. Excluding my twinkies, sugar snacks with cream :) not the gay kind, my back up food is 20lbs rice at the moment plus what's in fridge/freezer.

mmmm canned food .... please remember to carry a can OPENER!!! lol

or buy the pull open top cans ... which is rarely sold for beans

its not good to waste gun ammo to open your survival food

hehe 20 lbs rice ... not easy to carry a rice cooker ... car battery ... and an ac inverter

I can turn the rice into porridge or rice cakes if I can heat it up with a stove. Rice is really easy to cooke with a little water.

I just bought a few packs of iodine solution to clean the nearby water for drinking, hopefully it will be clean enough for cooking. I have a magnesium fire starter, hope it is really as good as advertised.

Wish I could have been a boy scouts without all the BS Posted Image

Edited by W_L

cool you are prepared ... but you might not want to be in the scouts after reading the recent article

http://www.washingtonpost.com/local/crime/boy-scout-perversion-files-released/2012/10/18/62c7a6ec-1940-11e2-b97b-3ae53cdeaf69_story.html

now you can have some adult fun with a group of friends to go camping and try out all the survival gear stuff

( never know when the REVOLUTION on TV is going to happen )

There are somethings adults can do that scouts aren't allowed to do ... but any way scouting is much different than when introduced in the 50s BW shows I've seen a long time ago

why go through years of scouting trials just to find out the leaders will deny you a merit badge for being gay.

I recently signed a petition about a SF teen that's going through the problem.

I can turn the rice into porridge or rice cakes if I can heat it up with a stove. Rice is really easy to cooke with a little water.

I just bought a few packs of iodine solution to clean the nearby water for drinking, hopefully it will be clean enough for cooking. I have a magnesium fire starter, hope it is really as good as advertised.

Wish I could have been a boy scouts without all the BS Posted Image

I have been through several hurricanes and know better than to just wing it. I was without power for almost two weeks after Katrina.

If you've been through that you aren't going to just sit on your hands next time.

There are some fairly easy things to do that will make a big difference if you do get hit.

Bug-out Bag- when you've got to grab you stuff and go at a moments notice, you don't have time to pack. You need something ready to go when you are. You can go with a backpack or something like a gym bag.

http://disaster-prep...st-bug-out-bag/

Water/Ice- Save 2 liter pop bottles. Fill them with water and put some of them in your deep freeze. You will need water and the ice will last for days. In the event of a lengthy power outage, it will help keep food from thawing too rapidly in your freezer.

First Aid- You can spend yourself broke on a good first aid kit. In the event of a serious disaster, you may have to deal with serious injuries and be on your own for some time.

This is what I have:

Posted Image M-17 military first aid kit. Street value $100-200

Posted Image

Posted Image

The stocked M-17 has enough supplies to take care of small family for a week or two.

You can spend less (or more) but it's a good, comprehensive kit.

Another item that you might want to add to your basic first aid kit is a quick clot sponge. It can stop serious bleeding.

Posted Image

Excellent advice, James. This applies to anyone who is in earthquake, flood, firestorm, snow, hurricane, or tornado country. You need one of these at home and in each car too. If you have a CERT (Community Emergency Response Team) where you live, take their training and become a CERT first-responder volunteer for your neighborhood and for where you go to school and go to work.

Colin Posted Image

Edited by colinian

Well "the day after tomorrow", the northeast will get hit by a super storm.

We are not only getting hit by a hurricane, but an arctic front is also coming down. How the hell can you prepare for both things happening at once? (Please note, I was making an allusion to the movie day after tomorrow as a joke.)

This is messed up, but how does a person prepare against a potentially rapid change between weather from traditional late fall cold front weather and summer hurricane.

Edited by W_L

A little tip from IT land - you don't prepare for disasters. You prepare for the effects of the disaster and the recovery from it. So -

Winter storm and a hurricane combo: Prepare for: No power, limited mobility heat problems, probable property damage, maybe injured people

- Have on hand for an extended period: non-spoilable foods, water, batteries, medicines/prescriptions, tarps, blankets and medical supplies

- if you have a fireplace, stock up on wood, if you can get a generator, do it before the storm, and get plenty of gas for it - at least 25 gallons.

- Go to the bank and get a decent amount of money - I keep about $1500 in cash in the house during the winter months if I can.

- Get a battery powered radio or TV.

Things to do

- Move necessary prep and repair tools to hand - shovels, hammers, screw gun, nails/screws, plywood, road salt or sand, tarps and plastic sheeting, etc. - those tools don't do any good in the shed out back, move them to the house.

- Charge all cell phones and batteries. Remove batteries from important devices when they aren't needed or power off the devices to keep the battery charge as long as possible.

- Make sure the car has a good battery and a full tank of gas.

- Put the valuables in a safe place.

- Prepare the property - clear branches away from windows, clear the yard of anything that's going to blow around/away/into things when the winds hit, board up windows if you think the storm is bad enough, that sort of thing.

It's all common sense stuff, really. My point is to prepare for the effects of a weather related disaster, no matter what it looks like, and you will be far better off than your typical neighbor.

by the by that bug out bag with everything in it... how much does it weigh, because many times in a disaster and especially in a situation with apocalyptic scenarios you won't have a car OR it won't be of much use if the highways are clogged... And I recall somewhere that 75 pounds is the best a human can carry over large distances.

Btw W_L I hope you're prepared for Franken-storm?

Well, we survived an earthquake before, now we need to survive Franken Storm, so all we have left is Famine, pestilence, blood in rivers, and maybe the death of all the first born :(

Cel, can I double up with you? I promise to not use too much of the comforter and I can do your taxes :P

Well, we survived an earthquake before, now we need to survive Franken Storm, so all we have left is Famine, pestilence, blood in rivers, and maybe the death of all the first born Posted Image

Cel, can I double up with you? I promise to not use too much of the comforter and I can do your taxes Posted Image

Lol, I have a pull out couch :P

Looks like Boston will survive, it's going to strike New Jersey.

Spent the last few days preparing, I'm prepared now, I got medicine, food stores, water, and several different types of flashlights. All I am missing is a weapon and then I can turn into a survivalist like James Posted Image

Oh well, I'll have to wait for the next plague to strike.

PS: I am betting someone will call this God's punishment against homosexuals again (wink wink), but I think God like everyone else is just getting tired of "Jersey Shore" and wants to make sure MTV does not even dare to make a sequel (Snooki does not need more press) Posted Image. Please note, not a religious issue or comment, just an observation that nature is offended by MTV :o:D

Edited by W_L