2024 Anthology Entries Due Tue October 1 ×

Anime?

Celethiel

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rurouni_Kenshin_%282012_film%29#Box_office

Try to find it if you can Thorn :D

Unlike the horrible adaptation that Dragonball was made into, the live action version of Rurouni Kenshin is praise worthy and fun for old fans.

Bridging from manga to anime to live action is a cool way to see your favorite characters in different dimensions, from 2D, 3D, and 4D :P

If you really like Yoko Kanno's music then Wolf's Rain is a wonderful masterpiece as well... 

It's quite slashable. If  you're into that kind of things. 

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rurouni_Kenshin_%282012_film%29#Box_office

Try to find it if you can Thorn :D

Unlike the horrible adaptation that Dragonball was made into, the live action version of Rurouni Kenshin is praise worthy and fun for old fans.

Bridging from manga to anime to live action is a cool way to see your favorite characters in different dimensions, from 2D, 3D, and 4D :P

Oh, wow, must try to find that! I'm still waiting for the promised live-action Evangelion, myself... :P

If you really like Yoko Kanno's music then Wolf's Rain is a wonderful masterpiece as well... 

It's quite slashable. If  you're into that kind of things. 

I'm so into that kind of thing it's not even funny. :P I watched the first couple of episodes of Sakamichi no Apollon last night. If you like the whole discovering music as a way of life thing in it, you might enjoy Beck: Mongolian Chop Squad, if you haven't seen it already. Replace jazz with rock and the 60s with right now, and you're looking at a very similar story. I recommend watching it in English, if for no other reason than that there are some characters that are meant to speak English in the original and while some of them do so quite well, others are just embarrassing to listen to. Also, all the English song lyrics are much better in the dub. Someone should make a fan mix of the dialogue, where all the American characters get voices from the dub, and all the songs are dubbed.

Oh, wow, must try to find that! I'm still waiting for the promised live-action Evangelion, myself... :P

I'm so into that kind of thing it's not even funny. :P I watched the first couple of episodes of Sakamichi no Apollon last night. If you like the whole discovering music as a way of life thing in it, you might enjoy Beck: Mongolian Chop Squad, if you haven't seen it already. Replace jazz with rock and the 60s with right now, and you're looking at a very similar story. I recommend watching it in English, if for no other reason than that there are some characters that are meant to speak English in the original and while some of them do so quite well, others are just embarrassing to listen to. Also, all the English song lyrics are much better in the dub. Someone should make a fan mix of the dialogue, where all the American characters get voices from the dub, and all the songs are dubbed.

http://kumby.com/category/rurouni-kenshin-episodes

Edited by iSimba

lets see now I own full metal Alchemist, seen all of death note (fantastically horrific both of them :D ) Also own hentalia :D

and OMG I now want the swimming boys anime :wub:

Edited by Celethiel

Sweet, I love music and manga :D

I am definitely going to watch and read Beck: Mongolian Chop Squad!

By the way Thorn, since you're a mecha-guy, did you watch any Gundam? or if you caught the re-runs Zoids? (I know you hate popular anime, but they're not that popular anymore :P )

Sweet, I love music and manga :D

I am definitely going to watch and read Beck: Mongolian Chop Squad!

By the way Thorn, since you're a mecha-guy, did you watch any Gundam? or if you caught the re-runs Zoids? (I know you hate popular anime, but they're not that popular anymore :P )

I never really watched either of those... I may have caught a couple episodes of Gundam at some point, think they may have shown it at that anime club I used to attend in my teens, in the early days, can't quite remember.

There's a live action Beck movie as well, btw. It's pretty good, actually. Lots of ridiculously pretty Japanese men in it and above average acting for a movie of its kind. It has a couple of aspects that really get on my nerves, but it's well worth a watch. :)

Like no actual singing being one of the problems with the live action movie :P

I saw the movie on Youtube, the Anime was better :D

Try the Death Note Live Action movies :)

Edited by W_L

Heard good things about the Death Note movies. :)

Yeah, I didn't get the point of the no singing... I mean, if they couldn't find an actor with a heavenly enough singing voice, why didn't they just overdub? But I fell in love enough with the actors who play Ryusuke and Taira, and loved Chiba's rapping enough to almost forgive them for the epic fail of Koyuki. :P Anime is definitely better, yes.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

Try this out folks.

No.6 Anime

Google it and you'll find it soon enough.

It's subtle, good and heartwarming.

Seriously?? No one even mentioned about this? Bah, and here I thought you're all a fan of a good yaoi anime. :P

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Sekai ichi hatsukoi is what I mostly read the manga but as said before the characters are hilarious but it comes second to jonjou romantica. It's hard to find a good yaoi/ shounen ai these days, but the second season of touhou hekken ibun is coming soon, and it's promising. Also I watched free today that hinted to things.

If you're still looking for haremish stuff, I totally prefer reverse harm, at least there are lots of hot guys.

However there are many good anime in other genre, shingeki no kyoujin or psychpasu for instance. 

BTW watching anime once a week is not enough, and they're usually better subbed, I never enjoyed dubbed versions. -_-

Heard good things about the Death Note movies. :)

Yeah, I didn't get the point of the no singing... I mean, if they couldn't find an actor with a heavenly enough singing voice, why didn't they just overdub? But I fell in love enough with the actors who play Ryusuke and Taira, and loved Chiba's rapping enough to almost forgive them for the epic fail of Koyuki. :P Anime is definitely better, yes.

Definitely give Death Note a try, the liveaction is pretty good. There'll be Kuroshitsuji's live action too. I'm not sure how good it will be but the musical was great, the second one, and there is lots of singing. I like those anime which the voice actors do load of singing like uta no prince sama.

BTW in the mecha department muv ruv wasn't bad and there's this majestic prince that was almost ok.

• Like 1

Sekai ichi hatsukoi is what I mostly read the manga but as said before the characters are hilarious but it comes second to jonjou romantica. It's hard to find a good yaoi/ shounen ai these days, but the second season of touhou hekken ibun is coming soon, and it's promising. Also I watched free today that hinted to things.

If you're still looking for haremish stuff, I totally prefer reverse harm, at least there are lots of hot guys.

However there are many good anime in other genre, shingeki no kyoujin or psychpasu for instance. 

BTW watching anime once a week is not enough, and they're usually better subbed, I never enjoyed dubbed versions. -_-

I usually go for subbed, too, but there have been rare instances where the dub is actually better, such as Beck. I used to be such a total snob at this, but I've mellowed out since my teens. :P

• 2 years later...

I was going to start an anime thread, but after a quick search I discovered that one already existed. :) Now I'll just respond to it, even if it is two years old.

My friend has a thing for Harem Anime.... And It's driving me nutters...

For those who don't know what that is, A harem anime is where A boy (sometimes a flaming perv) ends up with a large number of girls obsessed with him.

There is very little in the way of plot half the time @_@ It has a semblence of one.... though not usually not a very good one... almost wrote girl there instead of good @_@ *sigh*

It wouldn't bother me if there was more of a plot or more complex relationship situation... I mean girls fauning over you.... not one... but six or more usually... gets kind of old after the fifth anime....

...especially in a row...

-_- if I HAVE to see a Harem anime why can't it about a gay harem... :o or have some gay haremishness in it :(

Anime Anime! gay anime where can I find some... :(

or gay harem anime would be funny too :evil:

I'm sure it's entirely possible you've come across it by now, but Ouran High School Host Club is a reverse harem anime (One girl, lots of guys) that is essentially a parody of harem anime. I highly recommend it, and it has plenty of homoerotic elements, especially involving the twins.

I never watched Fulmetal Alchemist. I used to have a real problem watching things that other people gushed over. I was sort of an entertainment-hipster in my teens. :P Other things I avoided because people I knew (people I didn't necessarily respect, mind you) loved them included Naruto, Buffy the Vampire Slayer and Friends. I was a snob.

The crush I developed on Edward Elric's character is what got me into anime in the first place. :)

Try this out folks.

No.6 Anime

Google it and you'll find it soon enough.

It's subtle, good and heartwarming.

Seriously?? No one even mentioned about this? Bah, and here I thought you're all a fan of a good yaoi anime. :P

My only complaint about that anime was that it was entirely too short. Otherwise, it was awesome. :)

Oh, I am an old dog :P

Junjo Romantica and its sequels are excellent for Homo-erotic and outright funny gay moments, plus it's actually an interesting show when they get into relationships of the main characters, who have 10 year age differences.

PS: After years of waiting Season 3 has been picked up by the Japanese Animators and started showing since July 19th 2015! Wohoo!

Edited by W_L
  • Like 1

Oh lord. I feel like the decrepit Anime man walking into this conversation. I've seen or watched so many of these. As you go along surprised no one has mentioned Black Butler yet.

• Like 1

Oh lord. I feel like the decrepit Anime man walking into this conversation. I've seen or watched so many of these. As you go along surprised no one has mentioned Black Butler yet.

I am happy to know people who have seen and watched so many of these. :) It means I can learn what's good! I started Black Butler but then something distracted me from it, and I never got around to finishing it.

Maybe I'll get back to it after Mushishi.