Sun Poles about to flip

hh5

does the sun pole flipping affect the earth poles?

can it cause our poles to flip?

http://www.cbsnews.com/8301-205_162-57597396/suns-magnetic-field-about-to-flip-causing-ripple-effect/

You won't be able to see it, but it might affect the Earth's climate -- the sun's magnetic field is going through a big change.

According NASA, measurements taken from its supported observatories suggest that the sun's magnetic field is about to flip. But don't panic. This event happens approximately every 11 years.

"It looks like we're no more than 3 to 4 months away from a complete field reversal," solar physicist Todd Hoeksema, director of Stanford University's Wilcox Solar Observatory, said in a statement. "This change will have ripple effects throughout the solar system."

The sun's north and south poles are already beginning to change. Stanford solar physicist Phil Scherrer likens the change to the motion of a wave. 

"The sun's polar magnetic fields weaken, go to zero, and then emerge again with the opposite polarity. This is a regular part of the solar cycle,"Scherrer said. 

An artist's concept of the heliospheric current sheet, which becomes more wavy when the sun's magnetic field flips. / NASA
The part of the sun's magnetic field that's set to shift is often called the "current sheet." It's the surface that juts out from the sun's equator, which carries a small electrical current. The amperage flow of this region is about 10,000 kilometers thick and billions of kilometers wide.

does the sun pole flipping affect the earth poles?

can it cause our poles to flip?

Don't think so.

Doubt it.

Additional Question: Does it matter if our poles do flip?

Not particularly.

Seriously, from some of the reading into this I've done, it seems to be worldwide threat mostly dictated by how slow the news was that day. ;):P

Additional Question: Does it matter if our poles do flip?

Not particularly.

Geomagnetic reversals have happened many times and will continue to happen. We just don't want to be around when they do. A big drop in the Earth's magnetic field would be bad news for us, increasing exposure to harmful cosmic rays, and it can happen over short timescales

"a study published in 2012 by a group from the German Research Center for Geosciences suggests that a brief complete reversal occurred only 41,000 years ago during the last glacial period. The reversal lasted only about 440 years with the actual change of polarity lasting around 250 years. During this change the strength of the magnetic field dropped to 5% of its present strength."

See "Effects on biosphere and human society"

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Earth%27s_magnetic_field

See "Effects on biosphere and human society"

But I'm looking at that section, and the general consensus seems to be an almighty shrug. A lot of people have put forwards ideas that geomagnetic reversals may be linked to atmosphere being stripped away or extinction events, but tests into these hypothesis have either proven the Doom Theories wrong, or have been impossible to carry out or inconclusive.

There have been a lot of ideas thrown around for how terrible it would be but the evidence is patchy, half of the hypothesis are built on pure guesswork (maybe Mars did get its atmosphere stripped by solar winds? Or maybe it didn't?) and nobody is really making any progress with anything.

To be honest, I don;t think we need to worry.

EDIT: Also, if one happened 41,000 years ago... well... it can't have been too disastrous. Around that period Homo Sapiens were starting to do really spectacularly well. For example, we possibly boinked the Neandertthals out of existence. ;)

Edited by clumber

If the reversal of the sun's poles takes place approximately every 11 years, I've already lived through this a few times and don't expect this occurence to be any worse than any of the previous events.  As far as the earth's magnetic poles, the location of magnetic north does drift around slightly, but a complete reversal between the earth's poles could prove devastating. 

There have been a lot of ideas thrown around for how terrible it would be but the evidence is patchy, half of the hypothesis are built on pure guesswork

To be honest, I don;t think we need to worry.

In fact we do know from the geological record that during field reversal - where North becomes South, not to be confused with the poles just moving around - the geomagnetic field strength is significantly reduced, we know that "the Earth's magnetic field acts to deflect cosmic rays from its surface" and the science shows that cosmic rays are damaging to modern electronics and human health

"Aircraft operations on polar routes are also affected by energetic particles ... especially the polar atmosphere, which is less protected by the Earth’s magnetic field."

"Cosmic radiation ... constitutes two types of hazard to living beings:

- High radiation doses are an immediate threat for health or even life. This is a danger for human spaceflight outside the Earth’s magnetosphere. Solar energetic particle events are therefore recognised as a major threat for flights to the Moon or Mars. The major solar event of 4 August 1972 occurred during the period of the Apollo flights to the Moon. It would likely have had deadly consequences if a flight had been underway at that time. Therefore the astronaut safety is a major issue for future manned spaceflight.

- Low radiation doses may not have any immediately noticeable consequence, but [could] be a risk on the long run."

http://www.nmdb.eu/?q=node/137

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cosmic_ray

But you're right, it was a quiet news day at CBS and the suggestion that the Earth's field could be reversed because of the 11 year solar cycle is tosh :P And a full reversal will not happen in our own lifetimes.

• Like 1

In fact we do know from the geological record that during field reversal - where North becomes South, not to be confused with the poles just moving around - the geomagnetic field strength is significantly reduced, we know that "the Earth's magnetic field acts to deflect cosmic rays from its surface" and the science shows that cosmic rays are damaging to modern electronics and human health

"Aircraft operations on polar routes are also affected by energetic particles ... especially the polar atmosphere, which is less protected by the Earth’s magnetic field."

"Cosmic radiation ... constitutes two types of hazard to living beings:

- High radiation doses are an immediate threat for health or even life. This is a danger for human spaceflight outside the Earth’s magnetosphere. Solar energetic particle events are therefore recognised as a major threat for flights to the Moon or Mars. The major solar event of 4 August 1972 occurred during the period of the Apollo flights to the Moon. It would likely have had deadly consequences if a flight had been underway at that time. Therefore the astronaut safety is a major issue for future manned spaceflight.

- Low radiation doses may not have any immediately noticeable consequence, but [could] be a risk on the long run."

http://www.nmdb.eu/?q=node/137

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cosmic_ray

But you're right, it was a quiet news day at CBS and the suggestion that the Earth's field could be reversed because of the 11 year solar cycle is tosh :P And a full reversal will not happen in our own lifetimes.

A full reversal would take between 1000 and 10,000 years in most cases, so no, it won't. :P

• Like 1

A full reversal would take between 1000 and 10,000 years in most cases, so no, it won't. :P

Not necessarily. Post #3 referred to a 2012 study by the German Research Center for Geosciences into a flip 41,000 years ago that happened in a very short timescale. The study is not published on the internet but there is a more detailed report here

http://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2012/10/121016084936.htm

Not necessarily. Post #3 referred to a 2012 study by the German Research Center for Geosciences into a flip 41,000 years ago that happened in a very short timescale. The study is not published on the internet but there is a more detailed report here

http://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2012/10/121016084936.htm

Which is why I said 'in most cases'. ;)

• Site Administrator

I didn't read all the articles, I caught the TV special on it 0:)

One thing I found interesting, the magnetic pull of the Sun is less than a fridge magnet. The earth's is much less.

Maybe I should start a cult based on the world ending in 11 years from now with the sun and earth being pulled together by the magnetic pull :P

Anyone who wants to join can email me their personal and complete financial information. Remember, any and all monies will be used to help us prepare for the day ;)

Edited by wildone
  • Like 3

I didn't read all the articles, I caught the TV special on it 0:)

One thing I found interesting, the magnetic pull of the Sun is less than a fridge magnet. The earth's is much less.

Maybe I should start a cult based on the world ending in 11 years from now with the sun and earth being pulled together by the magnetic pull :P

Anyone who wants to join can email me their personal and complete financial information. Remember, any and all monies will be used to help us prepare for the day ;)

And a new Harold Camping arises... Anyone remember his doomsday cult back in 2011? :P

Perhaps in our modern age we can leave factual information for the future compared to our past where info is hard to find n prove or disprove

As we experience factual data ... it help prove or disprove things

ie: We learn the story of the meteor that exploded over russian long ago ...

how many of us dismissed it? accepted it? etc

now we experienced it for ourselves ... its factual

We learned something ... we'tr resolved still in doing nothing

We accept it

We just deny it would ever happen to us personally

lol, our busy little ant lives is more important

lol, go ahead and make a small bet in some annuity that doesn't come due for 50 or 60 years ...

the winner will be happy to take a small vacation

I wonder who won the 2012 bet?

Edited by hh5

busy little ant lives

But ants are really interesting.

Did you know some ants take slaves from other ant-nests and put them to work on underground fungus farms? How cool is that? :)

But ants are really interesting.

Did you know some ants take slaves from other ant-nests and put them to work on underground fungus farms? How cool is that? :)

I read that some ants steal eggs from other nests and raise slaves to do all the hard labour. Those ants don't know any different and just go along with it. It's really interesting.

ahh I sort of noticed that in my kiddie days

I think I once mixed two colonies in one big jar ... 

I read that some ants steal eggs from other nests and raise slaves to do all the hard labour. Those ants don't know any different and just go along with it. It's really interesting.