Divergent Movie Trailer

methodwriter85

Really excited for this. Kate Winslet is perfect as the leader of the Erudite faction, and I love that she's playing a villain. Shailene Woodley and Theo James look great as Tris and Four.

Yeah, I was thrilled when they announced Kate Winslet - although I'm not that big of a fan of the books.. I liked them, but they didn't really stand out to me. Maybe because it was just toooo politically driven and the ending to the second book was a bit confusing and odd. Ashley Judd is Tris' mother as well. I'm just going to hate all the character deaths not long after their side stories get a little depth.. that annoyed the hell out of me. It's just disappointing to be introduced to a nice character... then have them die a few chapters later, and it not seem to be warranted or important.

In my opinion that's a big flaw in her writing...

Yeah, I was thrilled when they announced Kate Winslet - although I'm not that big of a fan of the books.. I liked them, but they didn't really stand out to me. Maybe because it was just toooo politically driven and the ending to the second book was a bit confusing and odd. Ashley Judd is Tris' mother as well. I'm just going to hate all the character deaths not long after their side stories get a little depth.. that annoyed the hell out of me. It's just disappointing to be introduced to a nice character... then have them die a few chapters later, and it not seem to be warranted or important.

In my opinion that's a big flaw in her writing...

Well, a lot of writers do that... George R. R. Martin comes to mind. :P

Yeah, but it just seemed that most of the characters were added, then only slightly developed, and then killed off - then a new one was added, slightly developed, and then killed off.  For every one character that was killed another was added - when the original character would have filled that story/plot device just fine. It was starting to become a bit frustrating. She could have used her core characters to hit the same plot points, in a way those characters would have suited the story better, because if she had taken the time to flesh them out, readers would have become more invested. It got to a point where I EXPECTED their deaths and that's bad writing.

I'm not a fan of creating a character to fill one role (just freshly vacated by the character just killed off), for a chapter or two, THEN kill that character as well. That's what it seemed like to me. To a point you're just adding length and confusing your readers. I don't think writers should do that sort of thing just to add page numbers to the book.

Edited by Krista

Yeah, but it just seemed that most of the characters were added, then only slightly developed, and then killed off - then a new one was added, slightly developed, and then killed off.  For every one character that was killed another was added - when the original character would have filled that story/plot device just fine. It was starting to become a bit frustrating. She could have used her core characters to hit the same plot points, in a way those characters would have suited the story better, because if she had taken the time to flesh them out, readers would have become more invested. It got to a point where I EXPECTED their deaths and that's bad writing.

I'm not a fan of creating a character to fill one role (just freshly vacated by the character just killed off), for a chapter or two, THEN kill that character as well. That's what it seemed like to me. To a point you're just adding length and confusing your readers. I don't think writers should do that sort of thing just to add page numbers to the book.

Ah, yeah, I get what you mean. That does seem like pretty pointless writing.

Ah, yeah, I get what you mean. That does seem like pretty pointless writing.

It happened more so in Insurgent than in Divergent.. I about deleted Insurgent four or so times... lol. It just seemed like a lot of waste.

Although the teaser trailer does look good... I had my doubts with the male actor, but he looks fine.. and of course Winslet will never disappoint me. 

Judging by the trailer, it seems some characters might be combined, which would possibly mitigate some of the deaths. It would make sense for a movie version; why hire two actors/actresses when you can do the same with one. Notably, Jeanine seems to be giving a speech that if I recall right should have been given by Marcus. So I'm curious how this script will work out.

If I remember correctly, her character was never really that 'visual' of an enemy until the middle-later parts of the second book. At most she was just sort of gawked at... so they are likely setting up her character for the sequel, but they don't really want to spring her onto people either.. a good villain that people would respect and watch probably needs to be seen a bit more in the first movie, since it is a Trilogy. For some reason I remember that Eric and that other initiate more than her for the first book... and those are just minor characters compared to what the woman does later...

Yeah, that tallies with my memories as well. We hear of her machinations, and Tris meets her that one time when she's trying to visit her brother, but yeah. I suppose it's due to her being an intellectual villain.

I suppose I could just read them again. Probably not a bad idea with Allegiant coming out in a bit over a month.

I was thinking about what you said about characters being introduced, only to be killed off a couple pages later. I read military sci-fi, so I may just be used to that kind of storytelling. I remember reading this one series called The Stars at War, and the body count in the first half of the second book was so high I would have placed money on the authors using a dice roller to determine who died and who survived enough to become a proper viewpoint character...and then they killed some of them off in the third book.

Not that I've considered doing exactly that in one of my own stories (*whistles innocently*).

Yeah, that tallies with my memories as well. We hear of her machinations, and Tris meets her that one time when she's trying to visit her brother, but yeah. I suppose it's due to her being an intellectual villain.

I suppose I could just read them again. Probably not a bad idea with Allegiant coming out in a bit over a month.

I was thinking about what you said about characters being introduced, only to be killed off a couple pages later. I read military sci-fi, so I may just be used to that kind of storytelling. I remember reading this one series called The Stars at War, and the body count in the first half of the second book was so high I would have placed money on the authors using a dice roller to determine who died and who survived enough to become a proper viewpoint character...and then they killed some of them off in the third book.

Not that I've considered doing exactly that in one of my own stories (*whistles innocently*).

I'm difficult to please, I think some authors are stingy with their characters and thought the conclusion lacked a hell of a lot, because every one of the characters came out of it alive... especially in a complex battle scene where the author did a lot of building up to it. 

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

Alright, so here's the official, full-length trailer:

They are seriously selling the hell out of the chemistry between Tris and Four. I love that they went with an older, more rugged, more experienced guy with Theo James instead of a fresh-faced pretty boy like Lucas Till.

And here's the movie poster:

divergent-poster.jpg

Edited by methodwriter85

• 1 month later...

Alright, here's the first official clip, when Four shows Tris his tattoos:

I could do without the contemporary sounding pop song, but in general...wow, Theo and Shailene have smoking hot chemistry.

So - had a 30% off coupon for Barnes and Nobel and got the books today...  the trailer looks great and have heard from my niece that the books are good so going to give them a try

• 1 month later...

Alright, here's the final, official trailer for Divergent:

I think this one does a much better job of explaining the concept, which is probably what they should have done in the beginning.