A GA Wikipedia Page?

TetRefine

So GA doesn't have a Wikipedia page. Wouldn't it be worth creating at least a small Gay Authors page there, considering its the #6 most trafficked site on the web? And it's free......:P

Just a thought. 

• Like 1

• Site Administrator

Is it really #6? No wonder my friend was asking if I had an account. XD 

I'll admit that I had to read it twice, but what he said was the Wikipedia is the sixth most trafficed site on the Internet, not GA. :)

It's not a bad idea, but I'm not sure how to go about adding it or keeping it up to date.

• Like 1

Great idea!  :great:  I would imagine all that is needed is a nod from the management team and, of course, a volunteer.

Yea and since GA isn't a rapidly changing subject from the day-to-day it wouldn't be that intensive or difficult to maintain. I'm fairly Wiki savvy as I use it all the time, but I'm sure there are people on here far more techno/Wiki savvy then I am who be best qualified to create and maintain it. 

• Like 1

So GA doesn't have a Wikipedia page. Wouldn't it be worth creating at least a small Gay Authors page there, considering its the #6 most trafficked site on the web? And it's free...... :P

Just a thought. 

advocatus diaboli has created a thread that gets responses from the site admins. You might want to cross post there. It's not a bad idea for a wiki-page.

• Site Administrator

I was thinking about this overnight and I wonder if a page will pass Wikipedia's admins. As I understand it, a page needs references for its content, and we'd need to identify what references are applicable for the site. They tend to frown on a site being its own reference....

It wouldn't pass, Graeme is right. You'd need a wiki page for "gay fiction on the net", of which GA would be one reference of many. Then you'd need wiki pages for authors, and where they're hosted. And then you'd probably want one for popular stories, and link that back to the authors and to the sites. It's a bit of a rabbit hole.

If the only page is GA, it's a stub, and those have to be rather specific and be pretty "important" to their subject topic.

How about the wiki links to our published authors as a reference of our prominence?

That would solve your self referential issues and add spotlight to authors in our subgenre of fiction.

Great idea matt

Edited by W_L

• Site Administrator

I've just had a look at the current Gay Literature article on Wikipedia. I think a section on online fiction would be worthwhile, since I think that's an entire category of gay fiction that's not being mentioned.

• Site Administrator

So there is! And I went into the edit history and found it's been there since at least 2005. Interesting :)

However, my point is still valid. There's no mention of online fiction in the article itself and I would suggest that that is a major part of gay fiction at the moment.