Boyfriend jumped to his death after his girlfriend insisted on more Ch

Fishwings

So.... this man jumped seven stories because his girlfriend wanted to continue shopping but he didn't. I'm not sure how I feel about this, it's just so absurd I keep wondering if the onion trolled the web?

Click on image:

434566.jpg

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2520753/Chinese-boyfriend-jumped-death-girlfriend-insisted-going-clothes-shop.html

http://www.ibtimes.co.uk/articles/528718/20131209/boyfriend-jumps-death-girlfriend-suggests-another-shopping.htm

• Like 1

Oh and I almost did that too but I was the one shopping and none of the dresses fit me...and the lady told me they didn't carry any size 18s and told me I should try Lane Bryant.... <_<

Edited by Y_B
  • Like 3

I'll be shopping on amazon thank you :P

This is good reason why online shopping is better than traditional retail.

• Like 3

So.... this man jumped seven stories because his girlfriend wanted to continue shopping but he didn't. I'm not sure how I feel about this, it's just so absurd I keep wondering if the onion trolled the web?

Click on image:

434566.jpg

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2520753/Chinese-boyfriend-jumped-death-girlfriend-insisted-going-clothes-shop.html

http://www.ibtimes.co.uk/articles/528718/20131209/boyfriend-jumps-death-girlfriend-suggests-another-shopping.htm

I thought it was Onion too when I first read it. 

When the world seems to parody Onion... :S We're doomed.

• Like 2

Didn't the guy just consider breaking up with her and going home?  Seems like an awfully drastic action just because she wanted to continue shopping.  I guess some Chinese haven't completely come to grips with the downside of capitalism. 

• Like 1

?think you do Banger- Yoda :P

Think about this on another level, there's a very old fashioned Chinese mode of thinking that if you have a girl, you are supposed to take care of her needs. If she goes on a shopping spree beyond your ability to pay, you still have to satisfy her and show her that you are able to support her. If she keeps shopping and you realize that you are never going to be able to support her needs, so on some level you can't actually be with her. Imagine the American breadwinner concept taken to an extreme and you will probably understand this mode of thought, more and its logic that leads to suicide. Personally, I think the entire thought process is rubbish and a throwback due to Confucian philosophy trying to reassert itself, but that opens a bigger discussion on defining eastern sexism vs. western sexism, which I would rather not touch in the lounge as it is a prohibited subject.

• Like 1

?think you do Banger- Yoda :P

Think about this on another level, there's a very old fashioned Chinese mode of thinking that if you have a girl, you are supposed to take care of her needs. If she goes on a shopping spree beyond your ability to pay, you still have to satisfy her and show her that you are able to support her. If she keeps shopping and you realize that you are never going to be able to support her needs, so on some level you can't actually be with her. Imagine the American breadwinner concept taken to an extreme and you will probably understand this mode of thought, more and its logic that leads to suicide. Personally, I think the entire thought process is rubbish and a throwback due to Confucian philosophy trying to reassert itself, but that opens a bigger discussion on defining eastern sexism vs. western sexism, which I would rather not touch in the lounge as it is a prohibited subject.

Actually that does provide some more context to the situation, given that I was ignoring culture. Since Westerners are more individualistic, the whole "just break up with her" did make more sense to me to begin with.

I'm still inclined to believe that he acted more out of impulse than anything since it's such an extreme case... but I wouldn't know xD

In GTA V, he would have had a parachute for sure. 

Or in the AC series he would have had hay to land on, if he were an Assassin jumping from the top of the mall instead of just a few stories :D

I thought it was a few chapters?

Or in the AC series he would have had hay to land on, if he were an Assassin jumping from the top of the mall instead of just a few stories :D