NHL Supports LGBT Athletes and Fans.

Bill W

I thought they'd linked up with You Can Play in April last year?

And what are they saying about the Sochi Olympics, Russia being so gay friendly and all? :(

• Site Administrator

I believe individual players and teams and the Players Association teamed up with You Can Play last year. This is now where it is official policy of the NHL and the Players Association. Actual language in their rules and regs about inclusion of all.

To answer the Sochi question (without delving into politics) is that the vast majority of athletes, coaches and organizations have decided a boycott would not work and instead go to Russia and compete. What happens on the podiums will most likely make world news but I imagine it won't be seen on Russian Television ;)

• Like 1

What happens on the podiums will most likely make world news but I imagine it won't be seen on Russian Television ;)

If some players now feel able to come out, and win at Sochi, that would be a powerful "Jessie Owens" moment on the podium :)

Well, that's a step in the right direction.  Woop Woop NHL.  But there's just one problem.  It isn't LGBT any more.  Things have changed. It's LGBTI and we can expand that to LGBTIA and even LGBTIAM 

The last three letters being Intersexual, Asexual and Metrosexual.  LOL (just kidding). 

• Site Administrator

Personally I think this is carefully setting the stage for a player(s) to come out in the future.

Brandon Burke had an idea of inclusion in his favourite sport and worked on it with a passion and a dedication unmatched. Although his life tragically ended too soon, his idea of a inclusive NHL is being carried on into the future by others willing to pick up his cause.

Will it be a established veteran player to come out? One who has the maturity and strength to do so in an international spotlight? I don't think so. I have a few suspects. Both are young and not well known names in the league...yet. I believe both will be known in the future for not only being early ones to come out, but more so for their hockey talent. It is just a matter of time until they feel comfortable with their team, the league, their family situation and all the other things needed to make that final step.

I'm not holding my breath or going to claim that with my broken Gaydar I know, just a feeling I have when I looked into the backgrounds and present situations of these players. Just a feeling, nothing of subsistence :P

• Like 1