Health matters

Zombie

Grapefruit can kill

Are you taking prescription drugs? If so you should avoid grapefruit, grapefruit juice, limes, pomelos and marmalade which contains Seville oranges [sweet orange, such as naval or Valencia oranges are fine] until you've spoken to your doctor. This is because these fruit contain a class of chemical called furanocoumarins. Furanocoumarins inhibit an enzyme, cytochrome P450 3A4, that is responsible for the inactivation of approximately half of all drugs.

What this means is if a drug that is normally broken down by cytochrome P450 3A4 is taken at the same time as grapefruit, juice containing grapefruit or the other fruit mentioned, then more ‘active’ drug will be absorbed by the body, as less will have been inactivated by the enzyme. The result is that the level of the medicine in your blood can be increased which may increase the risk of side effects or alter the effect that the medicine has. Clearly this would have serious health side effects where dosages are critical.

The links, below, to the NHS website contain details of those drugs that are known to react badly with these fruits which include commonly prescribed drugs like statins, calcium channel blockers, Ciclosporin and immunosuppressants, Entocort and Cytotoxic medicines.

So its best to avoid these fruit and all juices containing these fruit until you are satisfied that there are no risks with the drugs that you are taking - which might not be easy to do as a lot of medics don't seem aware of this despite the risks being published more than 20 years ago. I have never had a doctor warn me whenever I've been prescribed drugs and I'm not aware that any of my family has either :(

http://www.nhs.uk/news/2012/11November/Pages/Prescription-pills-and-grapefruit-a-deadly-mix.aspx
http://www.nhs.uk/chq/Pages/2474.aspx?CategoryID=73

Edited by Zombie
  • Like 1

My doctor did warn me about this. Last summer I started taking atorvastatin for my cholesterol . Got a 5 minute lecture about it, lol and then the pharmacist told me, then  I read it on the info sheet that came with it. It's good information to spread, thanks for the info.

• Like 2

I certainly hope you found this in reading and not by you or someone close having issues! Thanks for the heads up!

No, thanks for the concern but it was Westie's blog about the benefits of turmeric and how it might be used as an alternative to some medications reminded me about this, which I'd read about a while ago :)

https://www.gayauthors.org/forums/blog/292/entry-14241-life-update-into-the-new-year-and-beyond/

I'd heard a warning connected to statins, but didn't realize so many others might be a problem. Always assumed the grapefruit inhibited the drugs' absorption, not the other way around.

Thanks for sharing this.

• Like 1

An important health message.  It is precisely for this reason that people are advised to take tablets with water.

And it's not just not with prescription meds. The same even applies to over the counter stuff like Aspirin or Anadin.

We also advise the kids who are having chemotherapy to avoid fruit juices the day before, the day of, and the day after chemo.  We've never had a severe reaction, but there are a few doctors who think many of the chemo side effects are worsened by fruit juices.

• Like 1

• Site Moderator

You should always check the warning section on the prescription bottle. I have one that states, Avoid eating or drinking grapefruit products. I've never been fond of grapefruit, so it's no problem for me.

This proves to show how much there is that folks aren't aware of, even when it may affect their health. Many continue to take herbal remedies right along with their medications, all the while not realizing just how those herbs may interfere with the meds. Best to list any and all vitamins, minerals, over the counter meds such as - aspirin, antihistamines, antacids and such, and herbs that you take for health reasons on your next trip to see your doctor. Or check with your pharmacist; the medical pharmacist, not the guy over on the next block that you have to meet at the back door for your herbal remedy.  :P

It's good to remember that if you eat a small bit of grapefruit in a salad that your neighbor prepared, it probably is no cause to rush to the emergency room. That sliver of lime in your gin and tonic is less than likely a reason to think that you may not wake up the next morning either. The gin on the other hand... If in doubt, check with your doctor or pharmacist.

Edited by Ron
  • Like 1