Richard Linklater's "Boyhood"

methodwriter85

Richard Linklater's Boyhood, which was filmed over a 12-year span, is getting ready to be released this year. Here's an article about the process of filming it:

It basically seems like a fictional version of Seven Up, focused on one boy. Pretty fascinating concept- essentially seeing a boy every year from the age of 7 to 18. I definitely can't wait to see it, especially because it exists in time, so we'll apparently see references to things like the Iraq War and the Obama administration, as well as go from music like Coldplay's "Yellow" to Daft Punk's "Lucky". I definitely can't wait to see it.

Also, the casting director gets some props- the guy they picked really does look like he could be Patricia Arquette and Ethan Hawke's kid. Plus, he's a contemporary of my oldest niece and some friends I made in RHC at IUP, so it'd be cool to see what a 2000's childhood looks like, as opposed to my 90's one.

Finally...out of curiosity, how old were you in 2002, and how old are you now?

For most of 2002 I was 16, and I had my 17th birthday at the end of it. Now I'm 28.

Edited by methodwriter85

Looks really interesting and they were fortunate that nothing happened to any of them during the 12 year period.  They would either have had to change the concept, write characters out or start all over again.  I want to see it now.  

ok, now i want to see it too. this might be one of the longest hollywood films in the making ever. certainly the one with the longest filming time

I was 14/15 in 2002, i'm twenty six now. Also, i got scared when i realised that most of the kids i teach were born in the 2000's. eep

ok, now i want to see it too. this might be one of the longest hollywood films in the making ever. certainly the one with the longest filming time

I was 14/15 in 2002, i'm twenty six now. Also, i got scared when i realised that most of the kids i teach were born in the 2000's. eep

Yep, time marches on. Here's an interview with them:

They sure lucked out that all of the actors lived and none of them quit. I can't see it being a big hit- the three hour run time alone is probably going to scare people off, but I like movies about "the little moments", which seems to be what this movie is about, so I'm totally in.

Edited by methodwriter85

Looks interesting, and impressive that they could actually finish a project over that long of a time span. I'm gonna go watch it.

In 2002, I was 11 for all but about one week. Now I'm 22. 

Yeah, this guy would be a contemporary of yours (I'm assuming he was born somewhere around 1994), which should be interesting for you.

Edited by methodwriter85

Man, I was just watching Before Sunrise (featuring Ethan Hawke).  Then I made the comment which greatly offended my own brother, "This is chick flix," and then finished it with "Ethan Hawke is a hipster."

There is nothing offensive about being a hipster, of course.  :gikkle:  There is only the much imitated, but never replicated historical hipster (beat generation) that I recognize.  If there were such group as "hipster" then it must be a secret society that people could only wish to be in.  And I repeat, there is no such thing as a hipster.  ;)

Anyways, I think I'll check out the movie!  Looks like a great coming-of-age genre semi-documentary in the style of the director's Before triology.  I also like little details in movies.  Ethan Hawke did his semi-impromptu stuff well.  (off-tangent: he was such an emo when he published his first novel; so much agony).

Through arithmatics, I was 26 in 2004, and 35 3/4 currently.  I acted younger than my age, though I doubt it would make much difference in my enjoyment of the movie.  I like The Catcher in the Rye and I am not Holden's contempolary (for chrissake, :rolleyes:). 

EDIT:  I also came across Daft Punk Lately and love Coldplay....  What's wrong with collective consciousness lately, or is it Google Analytics at work?  And I hate you, Matt, for being younger now than I was in 2004.  :P

Edited by Ashi

It's 2002, man...you would have been 24. Matt is still younger than you would have been in 2002, though. For me, I was Matt's current age in 2008...man, that was a crazy year. My jam for that year was "Paper Planes".

I doubt this will show up because they seem to be leaning towards an indie vibe, but if they somehow have "Sk8ter Boi" in the movie I will laugh my ass off. Easily the most annoyingly catchy tune of 2002.

Edited by methodwriter85

• 2 months later...

I was 15 going onto 16 in June.

Damn, I love this idea; it's like our generation's version of Forrest Gump; shrunk down and sped up. The last two decades have seen a lot of changes, some good and some bad.

I wouldn't call this "our generation", though. By the time this started filming in 2002, we were already in high school or at least junior high. This is more TetRefine's generation. I have a niece who was born in 1994, and I had friends who were born in 1992 and 1993, and I feel like we're not really the same generation. I think our generation, so to speak, ends with people who were born in 1990-1991, i.e. graduated high school in 2008/2009. These kids didn't graduate high school in the same decade as we did.

It actually kinda makes me wish Richard Linklater could've started this in 1994 or so we could've had this focus on a contemporary of ours. Oh, well. Still pretty interesting.

Edited by methodwriter85

I wouldn't call this "our generation", though. By the time this started filming in 2002, we were already in high school or at least junior high. This is more TetRefine's generation. I have a niece who was born in 1994, and I had friends who were born in 1992 and 1993, and I feel like we're not really the same generation. I think our generation, so to speak, ends with people who were born in 1990-1991, i.e. graduated high school in 2008/2009. These kids didn't graduate high school in the same decade as we did.

It actually kinda makes me wish Richard Linklater could've started this in 1994 or so we could've had this focus on a contemporary of ours. Oh, well. Still pretty interesting.

Well, the difference is whether they had IPods in elementary school or junior/high school. :P

Seriously, growing up with the internet on 56k modems is different than growing up on broadband and cable. I think that helps define the difference in generations as well.

Remember the old days, when we had to wait a minute for a page to load or when downloading a file takes hours instead of minutes or seconds.

Still, we're better off and much easier to connect to Tet's group. I still think of them as part of our generation; just a more easily distracted, loud, and ADHD prone variant :o  :D (Nothing wrong with that tho)

Edited by W_L

Very cool concept. I may have to see it.

I turned 14 in May 2002. It was at that age that I started to become me, though I didn't really get into the me-ness properly until 2003. I see that year as the year my life started properly. I started to properly get over all the shit of my childhood, I became less naïve and started discovering who it was I was going to become.