StarGate Reboot in the works

hh5

lol, no its not a JJ Abrams abomination of another franchise

LWgVLTi.jpg
MGM chairman-CEO Gary Barber said:

“We couldn’t be more excited to once again partner with Roland and Dean, the world-class creators of the original Stargate, to bring their reinvigorated vision of this wildly popular property to audiences of multiple generations. Stargate is one of the biggest titles in MGM’s vast library, and we look forward to adding this great franchise to our slate.”

to add to the Egyptian aliens

Ridley Scott to Direct Pharaoh for HBO

Looks interesting, but it could be a big gamble.  It depends a lot on who they cast and if it's merely  a continuation of the original story line or if they are taking this in a whole new direction.  I hope it's the latter, but we'll see.  

I think it would have to go somewhere different.

SG-1 finally ended (with the second straight to DVD film Continuum) with the extraction of the last Ba'al symbiote and the last remaining System Lord.  The Asgard are now gone (with the destruction of Orilla in the last episode Unending), and IMO they have done the mythology aspect of the show to death.  I'm not sure how many more of the ancient gods they can bring in without it seeming clichéd (even the introduction of Amaterasu and Camulus was pushing it).

Atlantis returned to Earth and Stargate:Universe was cancelled after only 2 seasons (and ended on a cliffhanger).

There was supposed to be a third SG1 film that never happened, and plans were in place for Atlantis and Universe films (also shelved).  There was even talk of several crossover films that never got out of preplanning.

Edited by Andy78

• Site Administrator

I liked the movie and watched a season or so of the original. With so much out there, why do they keep making remakes of everything lately? Stretch, expand, be creative and new with sci-fi! *sighs* All too often, it's just bland and banal continuations of things seen before. I won't hold out hope that a new Stargate, tbh.

Stargate is one of my favourite sci-fi movies. I watched it with my dad when I was 10 or so. Good times. The linguistic aspect was what appealed to me the most. I tried watching SG-1 and hated it. Never watched Atlantis, though I've been told I would enjoy it. Universe I thought was good, but as previously mentioned it was canceled. 

In the reboot I hope they'll allow themselves more focus on the linguistic aspect. If The Lord of the Rings and Game of Thrones have taught us anything it's that audiences are perfectly capable of relating to other languages and reading subtitles. 

so who would you vote for a returning character or a new main character?

should they really focus years after SG1 so that new stories could be made from the son\daughter\clone of jack o'neil

stargate2.jpg

gosh james spader let himself go

lol, i don't remember spader in any other big name movie??

JamesSpader1.jpg

with alien technology ,,, in theory most of the original cast shouldn't age much

lol, with CGI Acting that could be made possible but would be expensive for a TV Series

Edited by hh5

"Stargate Infinity" didn't seem to go any where

SGU was like galactica w/o galactians nor cylons

an endless journey until everyone on that ship dies of old age or by the hand of an alien

no ancient tech to rejuvenate yer body like on earth

the shore leave on earth just opened up how homesick SG can get

I think it would have to go somewhere different.

Edited by hh5