Reply from Graeme (author)

Sorry about the withdrawal symptoms but I can't post any faster.

That's OK, Graeme. I was mostly joking to tell you how much I appreciate the story. And since the readers of my stories have to wait a lot longer for updates, I have no right to complain. :*)  (By the way, I'm missing your comments on CC. ;) )

It was a nice chapter, bringing several of the story lines forward. I forgot to comment about Ollie's dinner. I loved the way he's now supportive of Todd's relationship with Lorraine. And I also hope he'll hold on to Helena.

Edited by Timothy M.
  • Like 1
  • Site Administrator

No problem, Tim, but work is extremely busy at the moment and I'm just not getting time to do much reading. There are several stories I want to get back to, but it's difficult finding the time...especially since when I'm reading, I'm not writing :P

• Like 1
On 5/23/2015 at 8:33 AM, Graeme said:

especially since when I'm reading, I'm not writing :P

LOL, I prefer you writing to reading any day - paricularly if it's GA stories you're writing. :)

Edited by Timothy M.

Graeme's hints can be pretty subtle.  At Sydney Airport Sam and Marcus communicated silently.

“It’s not just you,” Sam said quietly. “There’s Jordan and Teresa, too. And your mum.” He glanced at Marcus before returning his attention to his son. “You’re all worth the effort.”

Deon’s smile was tentative. “But .... It must be expensive to fly down so often.”

Marcus shrugged and then tilted his head back towards the main concourse.

There's something they're not telling Deon.  Tentative plans to return to Melbourne, perhaps?  During Mandy's holiday somewhere warm with Gary and Matt, the three of them may discuss that too.

Becky is starting to thaw.    :)

Becky’s expression didn’t change immediately, but then she gave Oliver a blatantly false smile. “Thank you, Ollie.”

Oliver gave her a theatrical bow. “My pleasure, Becky.”

Becky stared for a moment and then giggled. She smiled more naturally and started to attack her food in a manner not too dissimilar to the way her younger brother was eating.

Her attitude is very important for Lorraine and Todd.  Probably none of her mother's transient boyfriends entertained the family to a home-cooked dinner, so perhaps Becky will start to appreciate Todd along with Ollie.

Neil's father may be more intelligent than his mother, or at least more realistic.  When four other people accompanied Neil:

She smiled at the others. “Come in, all of you.”

But her husband knew exactly why Todd and Paul were there.

He grimaced, and his gaze flicked to Todd and Paul. “I suppose this is my fault. You don’t trust me any more.”

His response to the hand-holding was a polite request for Neil to consider his mother's feelings.

“He’s my boyfriend, Dad. You wouldn’t object to me holding hands with a girlfriend.”

“I know, but it’s going to take time to get used to the idea.” Phil gave Neil a pleading look. “For your mother’s sake, could you not...?”

Even so, she could scarcely bear to look at Neil beside Liam.

Phil is actually showing some respect for Neil.

Bruce chuckled. “.... I understand that Neil’s started to attend a gym regularly.”

“The one at the Leopards club.” Neil smiled at his father....

Phil smiled back. “That’s good, Neil....” He nodded to Todd and Paul. “Thanks, guys, for encouraging him.”

However, Mary can't see past his gayness.  Help her, please, Beth!

Mary turned to Bruce. “Your wife is...encouraging them?”

Bruce smiled. “Yes, she is. She thinks they’re good for each other.

Edited by Ken84050
  • Like 1

The scene with Neil's parents captured the awkwardness of the assembled group. You show the conversation stumbling and losing its rhythm at times which helps frame the scene. I hope that the scene continues in into the next chapter though as it would be interesting to understand Neil's parents feelings more, even as a discussion between themselves after the tea.

I get an impression of Neil's father as actually being more in touch with his feelings than his wife because he is upfront (somewhat too much) with his emotions to the point of being a bully. Neil's mother comes off as a little paralyzed , obviously concerned for her son, but so used to  keeping her opinions in check that she is less able to process it all. Finally you show Neil as ever more self confident and greatly matured in the last few months but still clearly remaining Neil and not a different character.

I could be off base here in my impressions but it all adds a greater dimension to the family dynamic here. Thanks

• Like 2

I get an impression of Neil's father as actually being more in touch with his feelings than his wife....

Not just feelings.  They are a traditional couple: breadwinner and housewife.  Mary has a sheltered life, but Phil works with other people and can learn from them.  In Chapter 38 he said:

“The word’s ‘gay’, Mary. We’re going to have to get used to saying it.” He sighed. “I don’t know. I’ve had people tell me it’s who he is, that it’s not something we did or didn’t do; it’s just the way he is. Other people tell me it’s what he’s chosen, and he’s going to have to live with the consequences. I don’t know what to think.”

Clearly he is leading the way out of their homophobia.

Edited by Ken84050
  • Like 2

Good point, Ken. I bet that's also what Graeme is hinting at in his review comment:

Neil's father was ignorant and confused homosexuality with paedophilia. He's being educated on the difference and what homosexuality really means.

I was wondering who was educating Phil, and whether he was actively looking for information. Maybe appearing on the news has caused plenty of people to comment to him, whereas Mary may only get the church attitude.

Edited by Timothy M.
  • Site Administrator

Just as an aside, I want to make it clear that not all churches in that area would encourage a homophobic attitude. At the inaugural Pride Cup last year in nearby Yarra Glen, the local Uniting Church minister spoke before the game in support of tolerance and acceptance. However, there are conservative churches everywhere, and it appears that Mary goes to one of them.

• Like 2

Of course, I assumed this to be the case, but it's nice of you to clarify. Mary must be having a hard time trying to reconcile her love for her son with what her church is telling her. :(  But I have faith her son will be more important in the long run, and she'll find a new church.

• Like 1

Responding to a chapter review, Graeme wrote:

.... Neil's mother, on the other hand, has a religious belief in homosexuality being wrong. That's harder to change.

Thank you for the reminder, Graeme.  Chapter 9 made quite clear that Mary is religious.

.... while his mother headed to church. Neither he nor his father were church-goers, though his mother insisted that they go for Easter and Christmas. Mrs. Rosewood, however, went every week and was active in several church committees. While she never showed the homophobia that his father exhibited, Neil was sure that she was just as anti-gay; she just hadn’t shown it.

I had forgotten about that after reading it so long ago.   :*)   Some time soon I must indulge in re-reading the whole story.

Usually I avoid the frustration of incomplete serials, but "Leopard Spots" is different;  partly because Graeme reliably posts a chapter every week, and partly also because of this forum.  It's really enjoyable to mull over the story with the little group of regulars here.  It would be alarming if we were Graeme's only fans, but the long list of greetings on his birthday shows there are plenty of others.  I'm very pleased to have stumbled upon this forum in March.  Best wishes to you all.    :)

Edited by Ken84050
  • Like 2

My dating of the "Leopard Spots" prologue was incomplete....

No, it was just plain wrong.   Now that I've started re-reading "Leopard Spots",  it seems quite clear that the prologue events took place on Thursday 20th and Friday 21st March.   Probably nobody cares, but anyway there's my confession.    :/

• Like 1

Re today's chapter: I was so focused on the brat getting in trouble I forgot to comment on the interesting development with Liam's parents. His dad finally admitted their decision to forbid Liam to go to Neil's party was a mistake. I'm guessing the lifting of some restrictions is happening because they like Neil and his influence on Liam., so they don't want to hinder them from dating. Oh and I was glad Liam told Dough that Neil had urged him to spend time with his friend.

Edited by Timothy M.
  • Like 2

Ty's lapse into brathood was provoked by insults to Jim, not to himself;  but still he was appropriately penitent afterwards.   On the bus he was inconsolable until Neil brought him back to an even keel.   Neil is very much a member of the Leopard family, and his increasing confidence is making him a valuable one.

My conjectures about later developments are usually wrong,  but I can't help wondering whether Neil may do something similar for Doug.  Remember in Chapter 41:

He didn’t think he would ever be friends with Doug, but Doug was important to Liam, and that made him important to Neil, too.

We don't know much about Doug's family background or whatever else makes this potentially worthy young man so aggressive and spiteful.  Perhaps Neil will be the one to help Doug just as he unexpectedly helped Ty on the bus.  Or perhaps not.    :mellow:

Anyway,  holding Liam's party on Leopards' premises will make Neil feel at home and more at ease with Doug and the rest of the school football team.

Edited by Ken84050
  • Like 2

This is off topic, but it's Graeme's fault.   In response to a Chapter 43 review he wrote:

I don't like perfection, unless the story demands it, like my short story My Roommate's Gay.

Re-reading that story after a long time gave me a good laugh.   In less than 2000 words Graeme packs in the main clichés of so many Nifty authors.   The gay room-mate is a swimmer and a musician.  He is tall.  He has perfect white teeth.  He has blue eyes.  He has rich parents.   There is also a quarterback.   (Real-life gay American footballers undoubtedly play in other positions too, but in the banal story tradition they are always quarterbacks.)  Also there is bad cafeteria food.  Also there are traditional caricatures of gays, with homophobia thrown in.

In future such stories may be written by machine, but in the meantime we have Graeme.    :joe:

Edited by Ken84050
  • Like 2
  • Site Administrator

Thanks, Ken :boy: I'm not a great one for pushing my stories, but sometimes I get the perfect leading line.... :P

• Like 1
On 6/7/2015 at 2:53 AM, Ken84050 said:

I don't want to dominate this forum.   I shall hold off for a while.   The rest of you - please come back.    :(

:huh:  I was waiting for your comment on the new chapter to inspire me.

Oh and I've been busy reading most of Graeme's older stories - and also Leopard Skin Cover once more.

Edited by Timothy M.

I received a cruel teaser this morning. When i signed on to GayAuthors, i received a notification that a new chapter had been posted to Leopard Spots. I was surprised as this would be a rare occurrence for  Wednesday morning but followed the link. Alas it was just a ghost in the machine. Oh well only three more days...

• Like 1
  • Site Administrator

Sorry about that. I was posting the chapter for Saturday, but the connection dropped out while the chapter was saving. I had to delete the chapter and repost it. Because of the dropped out connection it mustn't have processed the part that said that the chapter isn't supposed to post until the weekend....

On 6/10/2015 at 1:06 PM, Rndmrunner said:

I received a cruel teaser this morning. When i signed on to GayAuthors, i received a notification that a new chapter had been posted to Leopard Spots. I was surprised as this would be a rare occurrence for  Wednesday morning but followed the link. Alas it was just a ghost in the machine. Oh well only three more days...

me too :(

On 6/10/2015 at 8:18 PM, Graeme said:

Sorry about that. I was posting the chapter for Saturday, but the connection dropped out while the chapter was saving. I had to delete the chapter and repost it. Because of the dropped out connection it mustn't have processed the part that said that the chapter isn't supposed to post until the weekend....

I thought it might be something like that. :no:

Edited by Timothy M.
  • Site Administrator

Because I'm travelling so much at the moment, I usually upload the next chapter on Wednesday (my time) with it scheduled to post on Saturday. There must have been a hiccup with the hotel wireless last night because I received a timeout message while uploading. I then checked and the chapter was only partially uploaded. Editing chapters that are scheduled to post at a future time messes up the scheduling, so I deleted the chapter and re-uploaded it.

I've been reading the last three chapters as a preparation for tomorrow's treat. :D

I can't quite work out what the theme will be. It's too soon for Liam's birthday, but I'd like to see him tell his friends about the plans. If they are dumb enough to ask if Neil will be there, Liam has the perfect answer.

I'd like to see some development in Dave outside the football field. He's dong exceptionally well, and I'm hoping this aso spills over to his personal life. He still has lots of issues, but I'm hoping for improved confidence and hope for the future.

We haven't seen anything of Clarissa for a while, I can't believe I'm saying this, but I almost miss her. :lol: I hope Liam invites her to his birthday (or he's an ungrateful bastard) and that Ty gets Deon to help out. I still think those two could do well together.

Paul is another player I wish all the best for, including giving Deons older sister a chance. If Deon has told her what the problem is, she could suggest activities which woldn't cost money or prevent Paul from working. Such at talking in the clubroom after games or go for a walk in the park with Lorraine and Todd and the kids.

Anyway, I'm sure what ever you come up with, it will be great. :)

Ken, the ball is in your corner now. :lol:

Edited by Timothy M.
  • Like 2

Well so much for my suggestions, but we did get a bit of Clarissa, lol.

The funny thing was I thought about mentioning Patrick, because I can't get enough of him, but I thought it was less likely he'd feature again, so that was a nice surprise. :D In fact I enjoyed everything about the AFL scouting and the agent contacting Deon, particularly Peter's talk with him about that. Also the discussion with Ty and Roger, I'm impressed at how well the brat is coping with his natural disappointment in being ignored as a potential AFL prospect (and we as readers love knowing better).

Edited by Timothy M.
  • Like 3