Yeah, my vote is with Imp on Dad, the Brat and Deon. But I want Dave as the fourth, assuming his issues have been dealt with. On the other hand, he probably needs another year in a caring and stable environment, so perhaps he and Charlie can be drafted next year?

By the way I see Charlie as a potential for a managing position in the future, he has great people skills and empathy, and he is already getting a view of strategies from when he was injured. Graeme, what sort of position would Charlie be able to hold?

So if Dave is still too fragile to be drafted now, I want Paul to be the fourth. I like him a lot, and wouldn't mind seeing more of him.

Ah, yes, Paul! That would solve his financial issues. :)

I considered Dave, but I don't think he is ready for the pressure of the AFL. I also don't see an AFL team providing the support he needs. They'd probably drop him back down to the VFL until he got his issues sorted out.

• Like 2

I guess one thing to consider is what a player would do if he were drafted by a team in another region. Ty would probably take it; Jim might not unless there was an opportunity for Tony as well. Todd almost certainly wouldn't. I guess this is part of the ongoing priorities debate that Graeme has been weaving into the story.

I looked up Carlton. The club is in Melbourne, about 40 km from Lilydale. :)

• Like 3
  • Site Administrator

And Charlie (my other favorite) is working on his degree which would probably suffer if he had to make football a full-time career.

The AFL Players Association is very much aware that football careers are short. I can't recall the exact statistic at the moment, but the average career length is no more than 7 years. Some players go over 10-15 years, but many fail to last more than 4. As such, the AFLPA and the clubs start preparing the players for post-football careers from day one. Charlie is currently doing a part-time university course. Any club that drafted him would want him to continue doing so, though he would probably have to make adjustments to fit his course around the more demanding AFL job. If he were drafted interstate, the club would arrange for him to transfer to a university near the new club and continue his degree there.

By the way I see Charlie as a potential for a managing position in the future, he has great people skills and empathy, and he is already getting a view of strategies from when he was injured. Graeme, what sort of position would Charlie be able to hold?

In an AFL club? Coaching is a possibility, but he would probably have to work his way up through the lower level football competitions first. If he played AFL for a few years, he could probably go straight into a minor coaching role.

Other possibilities would include junior player development or recruiting. I'm sure there's lots of jobs he could do. Possibly even an IT role in an AFL club, if that interested him.

I considered Dave, but I don't think he is ready for the pressure of the AFL. I also don't see an AFL team providing the support he needs. They'd probably drop him back down to the VFL until he got his issues sorted out.

The AFL clubs have psychologists, and that includes clinical psychologists as well as sports psychologists. The clubs, the AFL itself, and the AFL Players Association are all very much aware of the dangers of mental health issues, especially addiction (alcohol, drugs, gambling) and depression. They would also have some experience with PTSD, though probably not to the extent that Dave has. Clubs have lost players in tragic situations, such as a player a few years ago who died in Las Vegas on an end of season trip.

Drafting someone with a known mental health issue would be unusual (I'm not aware of any precedence, but it's not something that's generally published), but they draft people with medical conditions (acute and chronic) all the time. Players have been drafted on crutches, and one of the top draft picks last year has Type 1 diabetes (diagnosed at the age of 9). Another draft pick had only played one game for the entire year -- he was off injured for the rest of the year, but he was still a top 10 draft pick. If they believe Dave's condition is treatable and that it won't affect his playing, yes, I believe a club would consider drafting him.

Just as an aside, the other states also have equivalents of the VFL. The South Australian equivalent (the SANFL) was introduced in the latest chapter. There's also a strong Western Australian competition, and another one for the New South Wales and Queensland teams. All the clubs have a team in a state-based competition in which players who don't make the senior team would play.

I guess one thing to consider is what a player would do if he were drafted by a team in another region. Ty would probably take it; Jim might not unless there was an opportunity for Tony as well. Todd almost certainly wouldn't. I guess this is part of the ongoing priorities debate that Graeme has been weaving into the story.

I looked up Carlton. The club is in Melbourne, about 40 km from Lilydale. :)

Nominating for the draft (you have to nominate -- they can't just pick anyone they want. A nomination lasts for three years, so you don't have to keep nominating each year) means agreeing to go with whatever club drafts you. You can't refuse. If you go back to the chapter where Ty's father is first contacted by an AFL club, you'll see the club telling Ty's father that.

While the AFL stands for the Australian Football League, it was originally a Victorian competition. It has been expanding interstate over the last twenty or so years. The first interstate team was the Sydney Swans, who were originally the South Melbourne Swans before financial problems made them accept a move to Sydney in exchange for financial help. Later on, another existing Melbourne club, the Fitzroy Lions, merged with a failing startup in Brisbane to form the Brisbane Lions.

The AFL recently expanded further with a second team in Sydney, and a second team just outside of Brisbane on the Gold Coast. That brings the total number of teams in the competition to 18. There are ten teams in Victoria, and two teams in each of the states of Western Australia, South Australia, New South Wales, and Queensland.

So, over half the competition is still based in Victoria, but there are still good odds that someone being drafted will need to move interstate. It tends to work out at about a third of draftees move. That includes moving to Victoria from other states, as well as moving out of Victoria.

Edited by Graeme
  • Like 3

Graeme, thanks for the additional background. I was aware there were leagues in other states (after the latest chapter :yes: ) but wasn't sure of the terminology. It's great to hear how many resources are available to Australian players. I expect I have a lot of preconceived notions about professional and semi-professional sports that are entirely wrong. You've probably guessed that sports are not my forte, generally. ;)

Edited by impunity
  • Like 1
  • Site Administrator

LOL -- believe me or not, but sports are not my forte, either. I've learnt a lot doing the research for this story. For example, while I knew that both South Australia and Western Australia have their own state competitions, I only found out when I was investigating that the northern states (NSW and Queensland, plus the Northern Territory and the ACT) have a combined NEAFL competition. The northern states are better know as rugby strongholds that the AFL is trying to break into.

There's still a lot I don't know, but I did a lot of study on the draft itself, as well as monitoring all the draft news from last year.

• Like 1

Two more delicious details.

First, from Chapter 29:

Neil: Of course, then Todd told me the bad news...

Alf: What?
Neil: That I’ll be going to prison soon....

Neil: I have to cook dinner for the guys on Mondays and Wednesdays. I told him that I can’t cook. He told me I’d better learn fast, because he doesn’t want me to kill him....

Alf: Maybe we can share a cell. My parents have started making me cook meals, too.
Neil: That would be nice. Hopefully it doesn’t come to that, though....

From Chapter 36:

Neil stared at the cakes for a moment and then looked up at Liam. “Are these going to put you in prison?”

Liam blinked and then chuckled. “No, but if you’re going to be my cellmate, I’ll see what I can do. I take it your housemates are still alive?”

Neil smiled back. Liam remembered the conversation they’d had when both were learning to cook, the night that Neil had come out to Alf....

“What was that all about? Prison, cellmates, housemates, and then inviting the village idiot to lunch?” Clarissa glanced at where Liam was disappearing and then back to Neil. “It was like you two were talking in code.”

Notice that it was Neil who had thawed enough to start that whimsical reminiscence.   Of course Alf/Liam was only too happy to join in.

Second, from Chapter 34:

Liam chuckled. “His favourite colour is brown, though it used to be green. His current lucky number is 8....”

“How the hell do you know all of that?”

“He told Alf.”

From Chapter 36:

Clarissa had told him that it was .... her turn to ask questions.... He wasn’t sure what his favourite colour and lucky number had to do with anything, but she seemed pleased when he had given her the details.

So Clarissa can trust Liam's honesty a bit more.

Reading little things like those makes me chuckle aloud with glee.   Graeme must have either a very good system of notes or a remarkable memory,  to keep the story so well knit together.

• Like 5

I agree that Graeme has a great eye for detail and it is one factor that sets this story apart. The main characters have 3 dimensional lives, good days and bad, and develop more than is simply needed to further the plot line. 

This is also for me the difference between the Review and the discussion forum. Many of the reviews reflect readers' involvement in the story through their hope and aspirations for various characters. The discussion seems to have a wider focus: writing, style, background discussions, continuity and other threads. 

And it helps bridge the week till the next chapter!!

• Like 3

Waiting for the next chapter is more frustrating than usual, because of The Party which Graeme has anticipated for so long.   However he surprises us, this chapter may be a watershed in the plot.

All those footballers in serious training will need plenty of alternatives to alcohol.   Still, alcohol may be a problem.   Liam may drink too much and become aggressive, Alf may drink too much and become maudlin, or Neil may drink too much and become sullen.   But surely Graeme won't let his characters do that, will he?

Deon now has no obvious partner, so he may invite his sister Teresa to go with him.   Paul rejected her in Chapter 29, but she may be luckier this time.

For light relief, Evelyn will be at her flirtiest.

Am I gushing like a teenage girl?   This is Graeme, not Jane Austen.    :)

• Like 2

Less than 12 hours till we get a new chapter :D

I can't make up my mind if I want the party to be next, but mostly not. I think there are too many other issues which have to be aired (but probably not solved) before Neil's birthday party. Although I guess there is only a few hours between Ty leaving the changing room in a rage and the beginning of the party...

But Graeme could backtrack and let us follow Liam and other people from the start of the same day (Saturday). Plus I bet Jim and the other Leopards will be surprised to see the Brat join them so quickly and they are bound to ask questions. Will Ty tell the truth or not? How will they react? Will Jim feel bad? Will Karen back Ty up about leaving the situation? so many questions and not enough answers :unsure:

Edited by Timothy M.
  • Like 2
On 4/12/2015 at 6:54 AM, Ken84050 said:

There's just one detail that bothers me.   Are Liam's parents really so naïve?   They are well aware how much Liam wants to be at Neil's party on Saturday evening,  and now he has an excuse to go out that very evening.   When the time comes, he will dress to impress Neil.   Won't his parents be suspicious about such finery merely for doing some school work with Doug?   As always, we must be patient until next weekend.

:worship:  you were right - they knew exactly what Liam was doing. :rofl:  They couldn't let him go with permission, but they wanted him to succeed with Neil. I almost fell over laughing when Liam's mum wished him good luck. :lol:

On 4/18/2015 at 4:03 AM, impunity said:

Two hours! I say let's go to the party and sort things out there. :yes:

And so we did :D

Edited by Timothy M.
  • Like 3

Graeme, you beaut!   Kissing!    :)  :)     While courting Neil, Liam has touched him only twice before:

in Chapter 31

Liam got up and moved around behind Neil. He put a hand on Neil’s shoulder for a moment and gave a squeeze.

and in Chapter 36

Before Neil could say or do anything, Liam stuck out a hand. “Happy birthday, Neil.”

Neil smiled with relief, though he wasn’t exactly sure what he was relieved about, and shook the hand.

But what progress now!  So many people tried to bring them together, until Oliver requested slow music which did the trick.   "If music be the food of love, play on."   Neil was still timid, but Liam wooed him with the utmost gentleness while they danced.  Little by little Neil gave up resisting his real feelings.  It was beautiful to read, Graeme.   I shall read it again.   And again.

I've previously been wrong about Liam's parents, but in Chapter 37 Beth says:

“Hello, dear. I just wanted to wish you all the best for tonight. I hope you get everything you need done. Bye, Liam.”

Liam stared at the now-silent phone. He couldn’t help feel that his parents knew exactly what he was up to, but he wasn’t sure what that meant. His mother’s comments sounded positive, but his father’s were worrying.

That's a  strong hint from Graeme!  It now looks likely that Liam's parents will know perfectly well where he has been;  and that they will forgive him, especially if Neil asks them to.

Also, what about these predictions?

Deon has broken up with his girlfriend and Clarissa seemed to be interested that Deon had been protecting Neil like she thought she had been doing.

LOL, I wondered about it too, and Clarissa would probably be a lot more understanding about Deon's needs to engage in helping others, since she is the same way. Plus she's an independent girl with interests and friends of her own, and I can't see her wanting a doting boyfriend. But they both have a temper, so arguments might get rather heated.  :o

Aha!    :)

• Like 3

:worship:  you were right - they knew exactly what Liam was doing. :rofl:  They couldn't let him go with permission, but they wanted him to succeed with Neil. I almost fell over laughing when Liam's mum wished him good luck. :lol:

I love how pervasive the theme of parenting, including surrogate parent figures, is in this story: Liam's (strict but fair), Neil's (improving?), Ty's (boo!), Sam and Marcus ( :hug:), Lorraine and Todd (fantastic!), and Dad ( :wub: ).

• Like 3
On 4/18/2015 at 7:01 PM, impunity said:

I love how pervasive the theme of parenting, including surrogate parent figures, is in this story: Liam's (strict but fair), Neil's (improving?), Ty's (boo!), Sam and Marcus ( :hug:), Lorraine and Todd (fantastic!), and Dad ( :wub: ).

Brilliantly spotted, imp !   :worship:

I guess there is a reason Graeme's GA Member Title is Gay Dad. :)

Edited by Timothy M.
  • Like 3

That wonderful Chapter 37 really deserves all the euphoria here and in the chapter reviews.   Unfortunately I've just spotted a dark cloud on the horizon.

Other people including Liam will see Neil opening his presents.   Sam and Marcus will offer Neil the prospect of disappearing off to a university in Sydney the following year while Liam is left behind.   Their relationship has barely started, and the end of it may be in sight.    :(    Have pity on them, Graeme!

• Like 3

Other people including Liam will see Neil opening his presents.   Sam and Marcus will offer Neil the prospect of disappearing off to a university in Sydney the following year while Liam is left behind.   Their relationship has barely started, and the end of it may be in sight.    :(    Have pity on them, Graeme!

Sam and Marcus's offer is a contingency. I think it's just as likely that Neil will find a way to remain in Melbourne, especially if he manages to reconcile with his parents. I also don't think it's beyond the realm of possibility for Liam to go to Sydney as well.

• Like 3

Or perhaps Sam and Marcus will move to Melbourne now that Deon and Sam are getting on really well ?

After all Sam wants to be with all his three kids, and Deon's younger brother could do with a father figure. He annoys me when he keeps nagging Deon about scoring goals etc. Sam would be able to curb that - as well as the budding bigotry the kid displayed at one point.

Edited by Timothy M.
  • Like 3
  • Site Administrator

Thank you, everyone! I won't comment on the speculation, apart from saying that some people may or may not be on the right track :P

Also, I'll repeat what I said in one of the reviews regarding whether the story is coming to an end. The story is over halfway through, but there's still a lot of the story to go.

• Like 1
On 4/19/2015 at 9:02 AM, Graeme said:

Thank you, everyone! I won't comment on the speculation, apart from saying that some people may or may not be on the right track :P

Also, I'll repeat what I said in one of the reviews regarding whether the story is coming to an end. The story is over halfway through, but there's still a lot of the story to go.

LOL, I knew you'd enjoy our speculations and discussion.

Yeah, even if Liam and Neil are on the path to resolve their relationship, there are plenty of other matters to worry about.

Edited by Timothy M.
  • Like 1

There's such a rich range of future possibilities for Neil and Liam, that Graeme is bound to develop something good even if there are bumps on the road.

Now I'm looking forward to two other things.   We all know about the invitation from the Carlton club in Chapter 31:

“June 9th. About a month away.” Jim shook his head. “I still can’t believe it.”

Let's hope Graeme finds a way to involve Deon as well as Ty.

But has anyone else remembered Clarissa's remark to Liam in Chapter 23?

“What game are you playing at? Your birthday’s not for another three months.”

Since she said that on the 22nd April, Liam's birthday must be around late July.

Edited by Ken84050
  • Like 2
  • Site Administrator

You have a fine attention for detail. :) Yes, Liam's birthday is late July, and Jim's visit to the Carlton Football Club is just over a week away. As for Liam and Neil.... 0:)

• Like 1

But has anyone else remembered Clarissa's remark to Liam in Chapter 23?

Since she said that on the 22nd April, Liam's birthday must be around late July.

Are you hoping for another party? They probably don't have to wait that long for a second kiss.   ;)

Edited by impunity
  • Like 3