• Site Administrator

While people wait for the next chapter to post, why don't you have a read of this newspaper article about the merger of two country football clubs? It gives a small taste of the place sports, and football in particular, has in Australian culture. These teams are near the South Australian and Victorian border (two of the states where AFL is the dominant football code), but you'll find similar things in New South Wales and Queensland, substituting rugby for aussie rules football.

• Like 1

Yes, this part of the story has a heavy football content, but that's also where the players have most of their attention. They're in the finals and they're trying their hardest to make it to the grand final...and then to win.

That's clear in Chapter 53 too.   The description of the game was enlivened by all the different points of view:  AFL scouts, Ty in hospital, radio commentators, and various young supporters.   After all the build-up, surely the Leopards won't lose the grand final?

Graeme has dropped a lot of hints suggesting what may happen after that.  The players will hear about Peter's leaving, and everyone will be thinking about his replacement.  Speculation about AFL drafts will no longer be subordinated to the Leopards' team efforts.   Players will have more time for their girlfriends and boyfriends.

A foretaste of that was the little scene showing Deon and Clarissa more affectionate than before.

Deon gave her a quick smile and leant over to give her a kiss. When she turned her head, it ended up being a peck on the cheek instead of the lips....

Clarissa reached up and pulled Deon’s head down for a kiss....

Deon wrapped his arms around her and gave her a long hug. He then kissed the top of her head. “Thank you.”

And thank you, Graeme.    :)

Edited by Ken84050
  • Like 1

I loved using Neil to showcase Ty

I loved Deon and Clarissa sorting themselves out.

I want to do a happy dance for Jim, but don't want to be premature..

Defiance reminded me of a couple of events I forgot to comment on in my review.

I also liked the idea of Neil wearing Ty's jersey to remind the team they were fighting for the brat. Another clever ploy from Peter, he really does know how to motivate his players. And it was probably a heady experience for Neil too. I hope Liam or Clarissa took some photos.

Ty getting attention from the fans visiting the training was another great detail, although I winced at the description of his pain. I hope the injections on Monday will help.

And how could I forget the excitement of Jim having a promising talk with the Adelaide Club, as well as the romantic moments for him and Tony. And they both did well on the matter of Dave. I guess Jim will be thankful to Julie for making him do extra work, now he knows what is required for him to be attractive to AFL Clubs.

Edited by Timothy M.
  • Like 4

What whole-hearted sponsors Matt and Gary are - certainly not just fair-weather friends.

The Leopards have already won where it’s important: in the hearts of their supporters....

I also wanted to let you know that we’ll be sponsoring the club next year.

"Next year" means 2015.   ^_^

Jim's parents seem like people whom Neil's parents could respect and like.

".... He works in road construction; she does part-time work at their local library...”

[EDIT TO ADD.   That's not my snobbery, but Phil Rosewood's.   I was recalling Chapter 17:

“What do you do for a living, Ty?” Mr. Rosewood asked as he resumed his seat. He waved a hand to indicate that everyone should sit down.

“I work in a warehouse part-time, shifting goods and doing other general-labouring jobs.”

Phillip Rosewood grinned. “I thought so. You look like you do real work, not like the pansy paper shufflers that I sometimes encounter.”

So Philip Henderson should meet with his approval.]

The Saturday dinner promises to be quite an event.   Everyone will be concerned about Ty's fitness.   Phil Rosewood's unemployment is unlikely to remain secret.   Neil is no longer letting his mother shut her eyes to his sexuality, even though his father wants him to.   His time with the Leopards and with Liam has given him a new confidence.

Thank you, Graeme, for bringing on stage such a kaleidoscope of people.   There's even a new glimmer of hope for Jarrod and Mary.   :) 

Edited by Ken84050
  • Like 3
  • Site Administrator

Am I the only one? I can't wait for the Grand Final, and the partying afterwards. I don't really care if they win or lose :) 

It will be interesting to see how the Henderson's and Rosewood's get along. For Neil sense, and probably Jim and Tony's, hopefully there isn't any confrontation (not that I expect Mary to be confrontation, more likely to withdraw). Although who knows, there may be a whole surprise that we don't expect.

The last observation I have is the Etihad Stadium appears to be in the Docklands in Melbourne. If I remember correct Graeme had a lot to do with some input on some very shady characters that operated out of the Docklands in another story. I'm hoping these people do not make a cameo appearance next week ;)

• Like 3

Am I the only one? I can't wait for the Grand Final, and the partying afterwards. I don't really care if they win or lose :)

I have to believe the party will be so much more fun if the Leopards win.

• Like 2
  • Site Administrator

I thought people might be interested in some AFL news. This weekend the AFL will be have it's first American born and raised AFL player, Jason Holmes, who will debut with St. Kilda (the Saints). He's spent the last couple of seasons playing the VFL as an AFL listed player. Now he finally gets to play in the AFL.

• Like 3
  • Site Administrator

I was reading a women's magazine while waiting for my boys to get their haircuts (there wasn't a lot of options), I came across an article about the Coolbinia Bombers. When I got home, I did some searches. This is about a variant of AusKick called StarKick. This video explains what it's for :)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fiRz4UpcKes

• Like 2

I was reading a women's magazine while waiting for my boys to get their haircuts (there wasn't a lot of options), I came across an article about the Coolbinia Bombers. When I got home, I did some searches. This is about a variant of AusKick called StarKick. This video explains what it's for :)

That is so cool! :yes:

• Site Administrator

I'll just say that in the real-life 2014 VFL grand final, Footscray won. I tossed up for a long time on whether to be true-to-life or do the sentimental thing and have the Leopards win. I eventually made a decision, but it wasn't easy...and you'll have to wait to find out what that decision was.

As an aside, there have been drawn grand-finals, though they are rare. In that case, the two teams get up and repeat the whole exercise again the following week.

• Like 1

Surprises!

Jim enjoyed his parents' surprise arrival, and he obviously gets on really well with them.  Neil was wise to link them with his own parents.

In early chapters Phil Rosewood's homophobia overwhelmed his good qualities, but now we can see him as a better person.  He even apologized to Jim.

Jessica Henderson has a lively mind.  Her little speech on relationships between God's children may have been on exactly the right wave-length for Mary Rosewood.  Let's hope so, since Ty later said of Jim's parents:

.... they’re getting along like a house on fire with Neil’s mum and dad,...

Liam was mischievous with his school football mates in Chapter 54:

His expression lightened as he wondered what their reaction would be when they saw Neil out on the oval with the players. He suspected most of them didn’t know that Neil was one of the Leopard runners.

So that's another surprise coming up.

And there may be a third.   Kevin wasn't exactly frank with the school footballers:

".... Which team do you play for?” Doug asked.

“It’s a club up north, not in Melbourne.” Kevin shrugged and gave them a sheepish smile “You may not have heard of them.”

Perhaps Evelyn needs to mention the Sydney Swans to them.    :)

Let's just hope there's no nasty surprise at the end of the grand final.    :huh:  :/  :(

Edited by Ken84050
  • Like 1
  • Site Administrator

Don't forget that Kevin wasn't going to tell the girls, either, until Karen and Clarissa forced him to. His view appears to be that he doesn't want anything to detract from Deon and the game itself.

• Like 2

I'll just say that in the real-life 2014 VFL grand final, Footscray won. I tossed up for a long time on whether to be true-to-life or do the sentimental thing and have the Leopards win.

Truthiness is definitely overrated! :yes:

• Site Administrator

You learn something new every day :P However, I found that article itself to be quite tongue-in-cheek, especially when it started talking about 'truthy' in programming languages. :D Maybe it's truthiness isn't to be trusted? 0:)

• Like 1

I have to proclaim truthiness as bogus.  I only had to read as far as the word being a Stephen Colbert creation to recognize its bogusness.  Comedians are not allowed to create words.  I would recommend Wiktionary over Wikipedia when searching for the meaning of a word.

The word you really wanted is verisimilitude.

Edited by MikeL
  • Like 1

I have to proclaim truthiness as bogus. I only had to read as far as the word being a Stephen Colbert creation to recognize its bogusness. Comedians are not allowed to create words. I would recommend Wiktionary over Wikipedia when searching for the meaning of a word.

The word you really wanted is verisimilitude.

I was fully aware of the word's inception when I elected to use it.

Graeme, you wretch!    :mellow:  :/  :( 

It was a fair bet that the game would lead up to a nail-biting finish in the fourth quarter, but not that you would postpone it to Chapter 57.   How could you tease us poor readers like that?   Now we have to wait a week!       :(  :o 

• Like 3