"the Wolfpack" A Story Stranger Than Fiction

• Site Moderator

Six brothers, a sister, and their mother were kept locked inside their four bedroom New York City apartment by the father of the family for 14 years. He said that he did it to protect them. This was life for the Angulo brothers. They entertained themselves by watching movies and reenacting them using homemade props. They've seen over 10,000 movies and they were their only link to the outside world. Their story is the subject of "The Wolfpack," an award winning documentary by Crystal Moselle.  It is an amazing story.

http://www.latimes.com/entertainment/movies/la-et-mn-wolfpack-movie-review-20150619-column.html

I find it slightly ironic that the father supposedly did this to protect them, but then he allowed them to watch over 10,000 movies.  He protected them from the real world by allowing them to view the fictional violence instead?  Now that they are out in the public, I hope they don't attempt to play out some of the scenes the enjoyed, such as scenes from Pulp Fiction.  

• Like 1
  • Site Moderator

I find it slightly ironic that the father supposedly did this to protect them, but then he allowed them to watch over 10,000 movies.  He protected them from the real world by allowing them to view the fictional violence instead?  Now that they are out in the public, I hope they don't attempt to play out some of the scenes the enjoyed, such as scenes from Pulp Fiction.  

I thought that was bizarre too. What surprised me was that he apparently committed no crime by keeping them cooped up like that.

Not in the opinion of the authorities in New York, and in the end that's all that counts.

Not prosecuting is not the same as "no crime". There can be many reasons such as unwillingness to testify against a parent. Also if the wife and kids were willing to be kept inside and obey the father's will. Clearly there's a complex family dynamic going on here and, disappointingly, according to the reviews it seems this was not fully explored in the doc :(