2024 Anthology Entries Due Tue October 1 ×

Singlemuslim.com ?

Riley Jericho

Is it just me, or is the banner image and link (at least that comes up on my page) to singlemuslim.com a little weird? Considering that most things LGBT are considered a heinous crime in Islam, punishable in many countries by execution, I wonder if this is that appropriate…

I don't think Google Ads takes that kind of stuff into account. If I am correct, the ads that are displayed are based off cookies in your browsing history? I know for certain GA has no control over what ads pop up. 

For example, just yesterday I got a banner advertisement for Billy Graham Evangelical Ministries, and we all know how highly Evangelicals regard us homos.  :rolleyes:  But earlier in the day I had been watching a couple YouTube clips of videos criticizing Evangelical Christianity. I think the ad software picked up on the keyword 'Evangelical' and used that to target me with the ad. 

Edited by TetRefine
  • Like 1

Yep TetRefine is right. If you've been searching for different things, reading articles about different topics, or really anything with key buzz words, google Ad Sense will pick up on it and display an ad it thinks is relevant to you. The best way to avoid marketing like that is to periodically clean out your internet cache, cookies etc. If you do that you get the generic stuff related to the site you're on than what you've been reading on the web.

Now for a quick lesson :) There are two ways to avoid this, one is to regularlly clean up your browsing history and start fresh at least once a week (I have a program on my computer that does it automatically when I close the browser so I never have to worry about it).

The second way is to browse in incongnito/hidden mode. That mode, while not allowing items to be downloaded onto your computer that can allow Ad Sense to see what you have seen, doesn't prevent tracking and such by the website, ISP's etc.

Eric :)

• Like 1

Yep - I think you're both right. It's a Google ad issue.

Interestingly - as I actually clean out my cache and cookies after every session, and had not browsed to any other site prior to the ad appearing - it seems that Google rate GA as a dating site! Lol!

Riley

• Like 1

There's a setting in your browser which can be used to deny Google, and everybody else for that matter, access to your browsing history. After I flipped that switch, my GA ads have all been about being an author and publishing books.

• Like 1

• Site Administrator

There's a setting in your browser which can be used to deny Google, and everybody else for that matter, access to your browsing history. After I flipped that switch, my GA ads have all been about being an author and publishing books.

How do you do that? 

How do you do that? 

Val, I'm not a techie, too old for that. But if you go to privacy settings-usually found under the gear shaped icon- you can control what's shared. I did it for both Chrome and Firefox. And both times I was warned of how horrible it would be they won't be able to target advertising to me. HA! I was getting all sort of weird stuff 'cause of the pages I visited while doing research for Summer and Autumn.

I also did it on my phone so they couldn't keep track of my location. NBC had a report on that a couple of months ago. All the companies are automatically given a detailed transcript of where you take your phone, down to the minute!

• Like 2

Depends on the browser you're using but in the settings/options menu of most modern browsers there's an option called "Do Not Track Me" which 'limits or rejects' cookies from sites (Most major sites don't follow this but there are some that do). I know Google Chrome, Internet Explorer (and the new browser for those updating to Windows 10 when it's released called Edge aka Project Spartan) and Mozilla Firefox. I'm not sure about the others but there's probably an option there as well.

You can also get different addons/extensions for your browser like AdBlock that stops the adds from showing BUT should you do this make sure to white list GayAuthors.com as they get revenue for adds on the site.

That's just my little lesson but remember google is your friend and can explain/show more :)

Eric

Edit To Add: Just saw what Carlos Hazday posted about phone tracking. What most people don't know that even if you turn off your location tracking you can still be tracked either by cell tower triangulation or by the phone company sending an override if they are provided a warrent and such. A phone can also be activated to track even if it's turned off... all a cell company has to do is signal the phone to go into a maintenance mode and from there it can be tracked. Just some more info :)

PS: Don't quote me on the phone stuff but there are some sites regarding privacy settings and such that explain about phones and tracking and such.

Edited by Phantom
  • Like 2

• Site Administrator

Thanks, Carlos and Phantom.  I won't do the adblocker, since I know GA gets revenue from ads, but I don't like the targeted ads that show up on other sites.  If I look at something on ebay, the same auction shows up in ads everywhere.  Same with stuff I look at on Amazon or other internet sites. 

• Like 1

Thanks, Carlos and Phantom.  I won't do the adblocker, since I know GA gets revenue from ads, but I don't like the targeted ads that show up on other sites.  If I look at something on ebay, the same auction shows up in ads everywhere.  Same with stuff I look at on Amazon or other internet sites. 

I haven't used Ad Blocker for the simple reason those ads make it possible for so many services to be free to us. I'm old enough to remember AOL and CompuServe and their monthly access fees for using their services.

• Like 1

Hm... I have Ad Blocker on my laptop, can I disable it, or do as Phantom said and "white list" GA?

What you do is go to the settings of AdBlock and there's an option to white list domains and all you have to do is add gayauthors.org to the list and boom there you go! Except it won't be a boom more like a mouse click... same difference at times though ;)

• Like 1

What you do is go to the settings of AdBlock and there's an option to white list domains and all you have to do is add gayauthors.org to the list and boom there you go! Except it won't be a boom more like a mouse click... same difference at times though ;)

Thanks Phantom! :D

I get Christian Dating sites for my story, "Are You Christian," and one time after a certain Canadian   0:) - not naming names -  sent me a link to an Andrew Christian underwear selection that he thought I should buy Aaron when we were discussing gift ideas... I got those ads forever.. lol. Not that I minded much.

• Like 2

I get Christian Dating sites for my story, "Are You Christian," and one time after a certain Canadian   0:) - not naming names -  sent me a link to an Andrew Christian underwear selection that he thought I should buy Aaron when we were discussing gift ideas... I got those ads forever.. lol. Not that I minded much.

Of course you would

I keep getting ads for Russian mail-order brides. I also get online dating for 'mature' men, and the odd online dating for women. Google is confused about my gender and my age. That's okay, I'm occasionally confused about those things, too. :P

I don't like being tracked and analyzed so I put Ghostery on my browser and they can't see where I've been or what I look at.   B)