Durufle was one of the most haunting composers in the early part of the twentieth century. His setting of the Lord's Prayer is without peer.

Can you post a nice video for that, Parker? :) 

• Like 2

In the fond hope that someone might just listen to one of my choices .... :rolleyes:  Is my musical taste really that weird? *sigh*  ;)

I shall carry on, regardless ... :P

First up: Erik Satie Trois gymnopedies

And the first opera by Monteverdi, L'Orfeo. A wonderful favourite of mine

I shall await the avalanche of replies (or maybe not ... I'm sure I've something else to do instead). :) 

• Like 2
And the first opera by Monteverdi, L'Orfeo. A wonderful favourite of mine

I shall await the avalanche of replies (or maybe not ... I'm sure I've something else to do instead). :)

I like the sound of Monteverdi, and he brings an interesting theatricality to his stage works, but for me he's flat. At least compared to the psychological depth and sheer visceral sexiness of Cavalli.    

If you are so inclined, you may want to listen, 'like' and comment on these ;)

https://www.gayauthors.org/forums/topic/41927-dead-composers-society/?p=636907

https://www.gayauthors.org/forums/topic/41927-dead-composers-society/?p=636905

• Like 2

I like the sound of Monteverdi, and he brings an interesting theatricality to his stage works, but for me he's flat. At least compared to the psychological depth and sheer visceral sexiness of Cavalli.    

And in comes the Cavalli cavalry!   :P 

32 years does a lot for the development of an art form, so I see Cavalli as an entirely different (and wonderful) beast. One would think that Monteverdi would have continued to evolve with the times... That's an interesting performance you've chosen, Northie. At times I feel like the director has chosen a more modern legato/cantabile smoothness in the orchestra where a more articulated execution is demanded for period authenticity - this is mostly in slower passages, but there are other places where the choices for bowing in the strings confuses me... The staging, though, is very cool.

Edited by lux_apollo
  • Like 1

Last month, I posted about the Spanish composer, Enrique Granados. I figured tonight, I would share about another, Isaac Albéniz. :) He was a contemporary of Granados, and like him, Albéniz's compositions were heavily influenced by Spanish folk music. What is interesting to think is that both Granados and Albéniz wrote many of their pieces for piano, but have since then been transcribed for guitar. And like with Granados, I prefer the guitar versions of Albéniz's works.

My absolute favorite from Albéniz is Córdoba, Op. 232 No. 4. Damn... just listening to it brings you to another world. It's just... beautiful.

The piece is played by world renowned classical guitarist, Julian Bream.

• Like 2

If you are so inclined, you may want to listen, 'like' and comment on these ;)

https://www.gayauthors.org/forums/topic/41927-dead-composers-society/?p=636907

https://www.gayauthors.org/forums/topic/41927-dead-composers-society/?p=636905

Thank you for the gentle reproof, AC. :) I've not been in a mood for music much lately - still less so to play it (it happens :/ ).

I did try playing Parker's link early this morning and twice it caused my tablet to reboot... *sigh*

• Like 1

@ Northie...I am so very sorry. Can't think what the problem was...

My tablet by the look of it - my phone has just played it with no problem - only, I'm on the bus without any headphones so I can't hear a thing ...

Aaah, a Hoffnung Festival piece: concerto for Diesel Bus and Orchestra....in G Major, perhaps?

With an obligato part for someone literally yelling into their phone ... :angry:

Edited by northie

@ Northie...I am so very sorry. Can't think what the problem was...

It does seem to be something to do with the link - it's just killed off my tablet yet again but other embedded YouTube links seem to play fine. It's obviously something to do with using my own YouTube app ... Strange.

Oh well, I'll try it on my laptop later.

• Like 1

Tristan's Lament - a sad song from a composer so dead we don't even know who they were. This song was found in an Italian manuscript and appears to have ties to one of the many versions of the Tristan and Yseult legend.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-MnfFMH4Smo

As soon as this started, I heard David Munrow's version start up in my head as well. Very different but obviously memorable as I haven't heard Munrow's version for ages.

• Like 2

I ran into this yesterday evening – the first time I heard it. I think the syncopations of the first movement are really interesting, especially as they're not just ornamental, but the structural refrain the entire movement is built upon. Also, the performance is so lively and brilliant, and spontaneous sounding. Love that.

Tomás Bretón - Symphony No.3 in G-major (1905)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gk7PR0HXdjc

I started this thinking I wouldn't be spending long but I was pleasantly surprised - not to the extent I'd go looking for more, but still ...

The slow movement had strong hints of Tchaikovsky to my ears and worked very well.

• Like 1

Does anyone have a love for Tannhäuser?  It's come up in research I'm doing for my next piece, and I wold like to hear from someone who knows about it and/or can point me to fine recordings.

Feel free to PM me if you rather not put anything in this forum; I understand. :)  

• Like 1

Thought I'd bring up a Canadian composer tonight. Healey Willan was born in Britain, but emigrated to Canada. His works made him a rather monolithic figure in the history of Canadian music, through his positions at the University of Toronto, the Royal Conservatory, and at the St. Mary Magdelene church where he was organist and built it into a choral and church music mecca. This piece is considered by many to be his finest organ work, and was composed after a challenge from a friend. I'd say he definitely rose to the challenge.  

• Like 2

After the day I had today, I feel like Francis Poulenc's piano work Mélancolie would be soothing. Yeah, definitely. For some reason people can't seem to move past the label of 'light-hearted and irreverant' when it comes to Poulenc's music, but that is entirely unjustified when you look at the entirety of his oeuvre, especially his operatic and religious works.

• Like 2

Thought I'd bring up a Canadian composer tonight. Healey Willan was born in Britain, but emigrated to Canada. His works made him a rather monolithic figure in the history of Canadian music, through his positions at the University of Toronto, the Royal Conservatory, and at the St. Mary Magdelene church where he was organist and built it into a choral and church music mecca. This piece is considered by many to be his finest organ work, and was composed after a challenge from a friend. I'd say he definitely rose to the challenge.  

Thanks for posting. I liked the fugue part the best.

• Like 3

Maybe this will pique your interest, Lux, and help lighten your evening :) 

I love poetry and music and here they marry, as they should. 

Peter Pringle, The prologue to the Tales of Gilgamesh, in the original 

• Like 3

Maybe this will pique your interest, Lux, and help lighten your evening :) 

I love poetry and music and here they marry, as they should. 

Peter Pringle, The prologue to the Tales of Gilgamesh, in the original 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QUcTsFe1PVs

Love it! I'll have to check out the rest when I am home from work.

• Like 1