All beautiful music you posted, AC. The Tallis piece I didn't know: very comforting.

By now I'm used to your love for unusual performances ;) , so Bach on accordeon doesn't offend me ... much. I still prefer to hear the organ version, although the commitment of the accordionist makes up for the lack of pipes.

While watching this amazing performance again yesterday, two technical aspects hit me (and yes, they are both pretty obvious ;)

One is that the artist cannot see either keyboard. It would something to ask an organist to perform this piece blindfolded. And the second is that the artist's left thumb is needed to operate the bellows. So the bass line can only be preformed on four fingers. Another daunting impediment for one of talent to overcome. 

There is a video of this young man rendering Vivaldi, if you'd like me to post it. 

• Like 2

While watching this amazing performance again yesterday, two technical aspects hit me (and yes, they are both pretty obvious ;)

One is that the artist cannot see either keyboard. It would something to ask an organist to perform this piece blindfolded. And the second is that the artist's left thumb is needed to operate the bellows. So the bass line can only be preformed on four fingers. Another daunting impediment for one of talent to overcome. 

There is a video of this young man rendering Vivaldi, if you'd like me to post it.

Please, if you would. Thanks.

• Like 2

First, I am sorry that your spirit is in ebb. For me that is very often a symptom of migraine.

Secondly, I must admit to a very bad habit. Rarely do I know the name or composer for the music I listen to. I usually ignore any actual words in the lyrics but rather listen to the flow of the sounds of voices and instrument. So it was with great delight that I listened to the Tallis hymn. I've enjoyed it for years without storing any identifiers in my brain, shameful I know but such is the case.

As to Bach on the accordion. I think it wonderful for a couple of reasons. Because the vibrations inherent in the immense sound of organs aggravates my migraines I avoid the instrument. I find the accordian softer. Then like the organs of old accordians produce their sound via airflow produced by a bellows. This sound is regulated by both a keyboard and a set of buttons that act very much like the stops and footpedals. So while an accordian may lack the depth and richness of an organ it does allow for bringing a similiar sound to smaller spaces.

Regardless thanks for sharing.

It's interesting you mention the migraines (as you know I suffer from them too...), because I just came out of a three of four day episode, so I don't know if there is any correlation.  

Thank you for your thoughts on the accordion performance. Bach seems to be richly amenable to transcribing for various instruments. The internet is rich with many wonderful guitar versions of his music.

Thanks again :)

• Like 3

...I

Perhaps you know this music, perhaps not, but Delerue's score here put me in mind of the soundtrack for the film Orlando. (Quentin Crispt played Eliz. I, so you know it's luscious ;) )  

Some posts back I mentioned my line of thought Ethel Smyth - Virginia Woolf - Vita Sackville-West.

And here is Orlando, to complete that line.

The mind works in mysterious ways. :)

• Like 2

Without intending to belittle the great accomplishment of this accordeonist, I like to point out that an organ player not only has to pay attention to what his hands do, but also (virtually without being able to see them) what his feet do. If he is lucky he has a helper to attend to the stops, if not so fortunate that needs attention as well.

If he cannot play by memory and needs a score, his hands are merely in his peripheral vision.

Speaking from my own experience ;)

And for the record ... I DID very much enjoy the Vivaldi performance.

Edited by J.HunterDunn
  • Like 3

I'm not trying to monopolize this thread, but Sunday morning is the only time of the week, that I really have time, and almost every post evokes either memories or thoughts about other music.

Brideshead Revisited, the novel by Evelyn Waugh, was in 1981 made into a marvellous television series by Granada Television in the UK.

I only have to hear a few bars of the music that accompanied it, and I'm transported to the world of Sebastian Flyte and Charles Ryder.

Here's the first episode; the first 45 seconds give the signature tune:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sD0nrC-vfaY

Edited by J.HunterDunn
  • Like 3

I'm not trying to monopolize this thread, but Sunday morning is the only time of the week, that I really have time, and almost every post evokes either memories or thoughts about other music.

Brideshead Revisited, the novel by Evelyn Waugh, was in 1981 made into a marvellous television series by Granada Television in the UK.

I only have to hear a few bars of the music that accompanied it, and I'm transported to the world of Sebastian Flyte and Charles Ryder.

Here's the first episode; the first 45 seconds give the signature tune:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sD0nrC-vfaY

Just simply you mentioning it and the title theme started playing in my head. When did I last hear it? I can't remember. :)

Don't worry about posting in clumps - it's what several of us end doing here.

• Like 3

What a great thread :)

I watch "The Last Night of the Proms" on TV every year and a few years ago they performed a great version of Ravels Boléro. I love that they start with one instrument and add more and more instrument and in the end every instrumt is playing.. Always sends shivers down my spine.. I don't Think anyone have posted this before, if you have I'm sorry, missed it ! :funny:   Let's see if I can add a link

https://youtu.be/s_pSJOkmYBA

Welcome LBO! Just remember if you see me here with shiny, you can't snatch it ... :gikkle:

I'll leave other people to comment on the Ravel - I have a blind spot when it comes to Bolero ;)

• Like 2

There have been a few posts about accordions vs organs, I am surprised that there doesn't seem to be any organ performance posts. 

When I was young, (more years ago than I like to remember) I had a friend who had a Hammond organ and he was willing to teach me, but having no place to practice and my family living on the poor side of town purchasing one was way out of the question, it never happened.

But, I enjoy listing.

Toccata (from 5th Symphony) by Charles-Marie Widor

Cavaillé-Coll Organ at Saint-Ouen, Rouen, France!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iZDp8hw7xUE

• Like 4

There have been a few posts about accordions vs organs, I am surprised that there doesn't seem to be any organ performance posts. 

When I was young, (more years ago than I like to remember) I had a friend who had a Hammond organ and he was willing to teach me, but having no place to practice and my family living on the poor side of town purchasing one was way out of the question, it never happened.

But, I enjoy listing.

Thanks for posting this, Tomas. It is such an imposing piece and when you hear it perfomed live you can't help getting goosebumps. A French composer on a French (built by Cavaillé-Coll) organ. Widor named this organ "the Michelangelo amongst organs" and in the Toccata one can hear the 32-feet Contre Bombarde-stop.

When I still lived with my parents I was fortunate to have organ lessons and had unlimited access to our (small) church and its organ. I never got further than replacing the regular organist at weddings and funerals and when he had a holiday. I once had the privilege to use a massive organ in a cathedral. I can't describe the feeling I had being able to fill that enormous space only by using my hand and feet.

I left my home to go to university and gave up organ playing. Fortunatly my music teachers gave me references, so I was able to practice on the grand piano in the auditorium at the university, be it at the most unlikely hours: very (and I mean very) early in the morning or very late at night.

Here is a combination of orchestra and organ, the final part (Maestoso-Allegro) of the "Organ Symphony" (symphony No.3) by Saint-Saëns.

In 1977 Scott Fitzgerald and Yvonne Keeley used this part for their song "If I had words".

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hopaQjQFUYw

• Like 5

Without intending to belittle the great accomplishment of this accordeonist, I like to point out that an organ player not only has to pay attention to what his hands do, but also (virtually without being able to see them) what his feet do. If he is lucky he has a helper to attend to the stops, if not so fortunate that needs attention as well.

If he cannot play by memory and needs a score, his hands are merely in his peripheral vision.

Speaking from my own experience ;)

And for the record ... I DID very much enjoy the Vivaldi performance.

I bet if you asked this dedicated young man to perform with his feet, he's do it! hehe.

The foot pedals are operated mostly sightlessly, that is true, but my main point is to speculate on blindfolding an organist, while depriving him too of the use of his left thumb, and challenge him to render a version of this piece as artistically as this young man. That's all. I bet many could    

• Like 3

But, I enjoy listing.

It's a stunning performance, and a beautiful instrument. Thanks for posting :)

• Like 1

I've never been overly fond of violin music, but there is one exception... Max Bruch Violin Concerto op26 #1 in g minor.

I've been to Suntory Hall many times, so it's nice to be reminded of happy occasions.

This is new music to me, but I do love the opening; so subtle and smooth with the winds leading into the soloist's part. Thank you for posting this and expanding my horizons.  

Edited by AC Benus
  • Like 1

:(

I love music but I don't actually listen to much recorded music of any kind, it can make me melancholy especially "serious" music. So if you need cheering up how about Elizabethan Serenade by that world famous English composer Ronald Binge :P It was named after the accession of Queen Elizabeth in 1952 and has always been popular in Britain.

There was a reggae version by Boris Gardiner & the Love People but I won't mention that... :gikkle: This is a lovely arrangement by Czech composer Otmar Mácha. It's a dress rehearsal for a Christmas concert in Prague so while not technically perfect it is a delightful performance and the violinist is so sweet.

Hope this helps as a pick-me-up :)

I've never heard of this before, but what a lovely, smiling performance by a beautiful young lady. Thanks for posting this...still on in the background - it's charming and lovely (and yes, I know I'm repetitive...repetitive) :yes:

• Like 2

Peter Warlock was a strange English composer of the 1920s and early 1930s (he changed his name from Philip Heseltine) but his music is well worth a listen. Mostly they're songs but this piece Capriol Suite for strings is his best known. They're his re-imaginings of dances from the Elizabethan era.

• Like 2

If there were ever angels ... I just heard them

Tim, there's plenty more where that came from. As well as Tallis, try William Byrd (Sing joyfully) and Thomas Tomkins (When David heard).

• Like 1

Supremely joyous and grand music –

Tomas Breton, Finale from his Symphony No. 2. Considering how this was premiered in Johannes Brahms' city of Vienna, it's amazing how un-Brahms it is. Make sure you crank the volume, and careful with your comments, cuz I do love it :)   

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SFnM0zWoiAE

• Like 1

If there were ever angels ... I just heard them

Oh, Tim! Here, I thought they had deleted this performance, but I found another video. This combines If ye Love Me with A New Commandment. And I agree, Tallis is angelic - his pain speaks to all ages equally. He's one of us - human. 

(the use of dissonance at min. 2:49 always amazes me. I would not think a composer in the 1500s would be that brave, but Tallis was - and it's very challenging for a choir to preform and make it not sound like a 'mistake') 

Edited by AC Benus
  • Like 1

Peter Warlock was a strange English composer of the 1920s and early 1930s (he changed his name from Philip Heseltine) but his music is well worth a listen. Mostly they're songs but this piece Capriol Suite for strings is his best known. They're his re-imaginings of dances from the Elizabethan era.

As Peter and I have discussed before, I'm rather uncomfortable personally with late 19th and 20th century composers who interpreted older music. I find their renderings more 'Victorian-projection' than seeking to understand genuine context and setting. As we spoke here about Tallis, I see there is a Vaugh Williams 'do up,' and that's one I will be avoiding. I'd much prefer to listen to Tallis himself. Just my personal feelings...

Edited by AC Benus
  • Like 2

I know I love any kind of music according to the situation and my mood. But particularly I have a thin for violin from my childhood. I wanted to learn it but being overly cared by my parents and stuck with my studies, I never got the chance to learn it. But I love most(I don't know names particularly though) of the pieces. :D

Here there is been introduced/presented a lot of great and good songs/pieces of music. I haven't checked all, but will check them eventually. Thanks to everyone for their contributions... :)

Emi, please feel free to post any music you like here. It will be fun to listen to it. 

• Like 1