It's not coming to me right now, and to be perfectly frank I haven't listened to nearly as much Wagner as I probably should have... So much of his stuff was too heavy for me back in undergrad (Early Music bias, perhaps?) and I used his personal and political deficits as reason to ignore him as well. :P

• Like 2

It's not coming to me right now, and to be perfectly frank I haven't listened to nearly as much Wagner as I probably should have... So much of his stuff was too heavy for me back in undergrad (Early Music bias, perhaps?) and I used his personal and political deficits as reason to ignore him as well. :P

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2sBtSOCWDC8

Edited by AC Benus
  • Like 2

We need some Kalinnikov - perhaps Symphony No. 1 in g-?

…I have this playing for the second time now. At the start of the first movement, I'm not sure how I feel about the forced orientalism of the opening theme, but by the time the second subject comes, there is some nice writing with the stings and winds in concertante, especially when the melody line moves down into the bass register… more later :)

Edited by AC Benus
  • Like 1

Wagner as an atmosphericist could be unmatched. Surely we have a debt to Wagner for pointing the way to stage and film music.  Of course, there were some justified critics. It might have been Rossini who said rather tartly that Wagner had some wonderful moments, but some awful half-hours.

• Like 2

Hmm, I am not sure it's forced oriental ism so much as an attachment to Slavic folk-style melody. Russian nationalism was still a strong influence in 1884/5 when this was composed.

just telling you what I think...musically speaking, his audience would have found in it associations with Shahrazad, as I did, not Russian folk songs. I listened to his Symphony No. 3 and found the same motifs were prevalent, so it was his thing, just not one I'm drawn to.  

I much prefer the forward-looking symphony from 1905 I posted from Breton. But thanks for posting it. I seek out and listen to new music (new to me) everyday. 

• Like 1

It might have been Rossini who said rather tartly that Wagner had some wonderful moments, but some awful half-hours.

Rossini was also famously asked by a late-in-life biographer which of all his many operas was his most perfect, and he replied with a smile: "Il matrimonio segreto," which of course had been written by the incomparable Cimarosa.

Edited by AC Benus
  • Like 3

I remember some postings here, a while ago, re: the incomparable Florence Foster Jenkins. Well, today I ran across some rare (silent) film footage of the lady in concert -- there's a lot of introductory shit -- however, the poster has added an old recording of her singing. In no way is she singing what the silent filmage shows, but it does give us a peek into her amazing range and perfect pitch.  :o  ENJOY:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JsvmieZmL_8

• Like 3

As a child, I mixed up Stravinsky and Tchaikovsky (now I'm just plain mixed up) - but here is a short choral piece I sang in my younger days, which I enjoyed very much, and still do.

When I first read this I thought Stravinsky/Tchaikovsky.... Really, mixing them up? But now I see what you mean. I guess I was thinking of instrumental music, but when it comes to motets there is striking similarity. 

I like the piece you posted; it's new to me, and I always like new stuff. I'm glad the intent of this thread to broaden one another's horizons is up and running :)

To that end, here's Tchaikovsky's Christ Had a Garden. This video contains the original (English-language) poem the church song is based on.    

Edited by AC Benus
  • Like 3

I remember some postings here, a while ago, re: the incomparable Florence Foster Jenkins. Well, today I ran across some rare (silent) film footage of the lady in concert -- there's a lot of introductory shit -- however, the poster has added an old recording of her singing. In no way is she singing what the silent filmage shows, but it does give us a peek into her amazing range and perfect pitch.  :o  ENJOY:

wow. thank you for that (...?...). The film certainly proves she was just as polished a stage performer as her singing. I like the 'chicken strut' move, and throwing the roses at in the audience, followed by the basket as well (!). Ah, it's nice to see the fabulously wealthy engaging in some (harmless...?) fun.  :)     

• Like 4

Rossini was also famously asked by a late-in-life biographer which of all his many operas was his most perfect, and he replied with a smile: "Il matrimonio segreto," which of course had been written by the incomparable Cimarosa.

Il matrimonio segreto has the distinction of being the only opera ever encored in its entirety at the premiere.

After the first performance in 1792, the Austrian Emperor hesitated to let the night end. He ordered his dinner brought from the palace, arranged on stage for the actors to eat, and then commanded a repeat performance. It's a distinction not likely to repeated again.

Cimarosa's operatic style is organic; one theme blossoms effortless into another, and through key and tempo changes brings artistic naturalness to the stage.    

Here's a duetto from Act One: Signor, deh concedete – please listen…if you do not have a smile on your face by the end, I'd check your pulse ;)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WFzdlMIPIaQ

Incidentally, the libretto is based on The Clandestine Marriage by David Garrick and George Coleman. 

EDIT: I just stumbled on this recording of the whole thing - nice lively opening

Edited by AC Benus
  • Like 3

Oh, I just realized the date. Happy birthday Don Giovanni!

Reports are the standing ovation lasted lasted fifteen minutes, this night, in Prague, 1787.

This may be the day 'he' was born, but his immortality is guaranteed. 

• Like 3

@ Aditus  I have a soft spot for Carmina burana although I'm not at all keen on its composer as a person. I also quite enjoy his second work of the trilogy, Catulli carmina - rather more of an acquired taste but quirky and interesting. This is the first part.

• Like 3

@ Aditus  I have a soft spot for Carmina burana although I'm not at all keen on its composer as a person. I also quite enjoy his second work of the trilogy, Catulli carmina - rather more of an acquired taste but quirky and interesting. This is the first part.

I found this always interesting. I love Catull's poems. To make this complete we should mention Trionfo  di Afrodite. 

As a person, Orff has been an opportunist and a coward. 

• Like 3

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EGRqIGOAPcE

This is for skinnydragon. I've been listening to this performance for about a month now, and a little birdie told me Skinny likes Brahms for ear-cleaning purposes ;)

Enjoy (but don’t omit to listen to my other postings from today :whistle:^_^:whistle: )

Edited by AC Benus
  • Like 3

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EGRqIGOAPcE

This is for skinnydragon. I've been listening to this performance for about a month now, and a little birdie told me Skinny likes Brahms for ear-cleaning purposes ;)

Enjoy (but don’t omit to listen to my other postings from today :whistle:^_^:whistle: )

That magnificent theme in the first movement never fails to stir my heart. Thank you!

• Like 1

Needed something fun before bed to put the dreary weather and emotional turmoil of the last few days behind me, so I turned to a fun set of piano miniatures by Reinhold Glière, the 12 Esquisses op. 47 (1909). It's a collection I haven't had the chance to play yet. I really should hunt down the score in the library at WLU or UW sometime soon.

This is an interesting piece. So much inwardness with many of the numbers, like the opening pair. The Religioso might be the most satisfying of this type on the initial hearing.

But that 'moodiness' is broken up – almost interrupted – by fine and effervescent melodies of dance-like whimsy. Again, only on first hearing, the Gaiamente, Allegretto ma non troppo, and Allegro giocoso seem like the standouts.

Thanks for posting this :)  

Edited by AC Benus
  • Like 1

I'm a great fan of music for viol consort - the dark, grainy, very textural sound appeals to me strongly. It can be a bit of an acquired taste - give it a try ... :)  Purcell's Fantazias and In nomines for viols were a last gasp for this form but they are amazing.

I'll have to come back to this piece. At nearly an hour in length, it's quite a commitment, and naturally no music should be treated like wallpaper - it deserves my attention :)

But thanks for posting :)  

• Like 2

I'll have to come back to this piece. At nearly an hour in length, it's quite a commitment, and naturally no music should be treated like wallpaper - it deserves my attention :)

But thanks for posting :)

AC, it's not continuous - it's made up of about 14 pieces. None should be more than 5 minutes in length? I wouldn't dream of expecting anybody to sit through a solid hour of viols if they;re not used to it. :)

• Like 2