[dkstories] Doing It Right - Chapter 8

Wooo... I actually get to post the new chapter... :2thumbs:

I rather like this one. I've VERY glad to see that things are working along the paths that they are. Nicely positive steps..

-Inusan

Wooo... I actually get to post the new chapter... :2thumbs:

I rather like this one. I've VERY glad to see that things are working along the paths that they are. Nicely positive steps..

I liked it a lot except for one ominous thing: things all seem to be going very well, which is usually a harbinger of impending trouble. :P

I'll comment more on the chapter tomorrow (It was posted late Friday, so lot of people haven't read it yet).

I did find out one thing that had been perplexing me (though it has nothing to do with this chapter): How the Chinese got ahold of Brian in Timeline 2.

Now that Dan's blog is back at GA, it also has all the old blog posts and comments. It seems this question has come up before, and the answer is that Brian was in transit and changing planes when the Chinese war broke out, and they nabbed him.

BTW, I most highly recommend reading Dan's blog right from the beginning. It shows just how much of the DO series is based on Dan's life, and it also shows that Dan when through utter hell (IMHO) fairly recently with his family. The blog even has pictures of Dan. (Dan, prepare for the blond jokes... 0:) )

• Site Administrator

You might also notice that bad days correspond to the writing of Vampire Jared chapters...

Great Chapter Dan! I'm glad to see Davey really standing up for his principles.

So i have been thinking. 0:) Now that Davey is no longer trying to save the world and US, he must be doing something right? Bingo! I got the answer. Jeremy. I had that thought since Davey no longer serving the adnistration and was wondering. Until chapter 6 that is.

Wow that was one emotional chapter. I was quite surprised too that Sean returned. The "old" sean dissappearing.... :( Rewritten. Phew!! i'm glad the boys forgave davey. I was quite surprised with what Brian said though. It's all over and forgiven I had thought that they'd put Davey on probation or something. Glad they didn't. :P

oohhhh a baseball player huh? :D Why not a football player? People also follows that kind of game religiously. BTW I lost Davey's age. How old is he now? 14 or 15? Or even 13?

As davey and brian's relationship continues. as Davey's dad's star on the rise, I keep wondering if it's just a lull before the storm....Hey dan, will we ever see Brian's p.o.v again?

Cheers!

Rad

Well I saw this on Dan't blog for Chapter 8 and found it disturbing. I hope and believe that those who actually like this stoy and the general concept far outweigh these others. I posted my comments on his blog and thought that for those of you who haven't read it maybe you could let Dan know that you like his story as well. He seems to be saying that he is rushing to complete it because of people telling him to get it over with.

Here is the quote from his blog

There is no intention, and no desire to take this story all the way to forty or so chapters...already I'm getting enough feedback from people who are just plain tired of the story line and want to see something else. For that reason, there's not going to be as much character development as there probably should be...a lot of things will have to go unseen...such as Brandon grieving for the lost Sean while Sean grievs for the lost Brandon...and they take comfort in each other...leading to...something more...

End quote

The bold section is highlighted by me and is what worries me.

Dan I said it in your comments section to your blog and I'll say it again. I greatly enjoy the story and the premise and the only reason you should end it is if YOU get tired of it not others. I like it and hope it continues.

Well I saw this on Dan't blog for Chapter 8 and found it disturbing. I hope and believe that those who actually like this stoy and the general concept far outweigh these others. I posted my comments on his blog and thought that for those of you who haven't read it maybe you could let Dan know that you like his story as well. He seems to be saying that he is rushing to complete it because of people telling him to get it over with.

There is no intention, and no desire to take this story all the way to forty or so chapters...already I'm getting enough feedback from people who are just plain tired of the story line and want to see something else. For that reason, there's not going to be as much character development as there probably should be...a lot of things will have to go unseen...such as Brandon grieving for the lost Sean while Sean grievs for the lost Brandon...and they take comfort in each other...leading to...something more...

End quote

The bold section is highlighted by me and is what worries me.

Dan I said it in your comments section to your blog and I'll say it again. I greatly enjoy the story and the premise and the only reason you should end it is if YOU get tired of it not others. I like it and hope it continues.

I could not agree more! A writer should IMHO write what they feel like. If Dan had said *he* feels the story should be truncated, then fine, that's his preference, and I'd try to keep my big mouth shut, but that isn't the case here.

On a more selfish note, I am steamed that a few anonymous critics (who apparently don't even care enough to participate in the forums) are depriving the rest of us of character development, insights, etc, that make this story so special.

To me, the best analogy for what I see happening here is being invited to a home cooked dinner, and then bitching about the food.

Ghstwolf, thank you for bringing this up. I'm delighted to see that I'm not the only one concerned about this.

Edited by C James
So i have been thinking. 0:) Now that Davey is no longer trying to save the world and US, he must be doing something right? Bingo! I got the answer. Jeremy.

Rad

for those of us who's minds are prepetually in the gutter... it REALLY sounded like you were saying he was having sex with jeremy to start with...

This chapter was different... wasn't nearly as dynamic as other chapters... It all took place (well except for the very begining) in davey's room.... its like.... anything that didnt happen in his room had this dream like state to it where you were just kind of drifting... or maybe i was half asleep when i read this chapter... maybe that too... lol

i'll be looking forward to the next chapter...

oh and by the way... PLZ POST IN UR OWN FORUMS DAN!!! WE MISS YOU!!!!!

The cuddly lil boi -

Brax

I could not agree more! A writer should IMHO write what they feel like. If Dan had said *he* feels the story should be truncated, then fine, that's his preference, and I'd try to keep my big mouth shut, but that isn't the case here.

On a more selfish note, I am steamed that a few anonymous critics (who apparently don't even care enough to participate in the forums) are depriving the rest of us of character development, insights, etc, that make this story so special.

To me, the best analogy for what I see happening here is being invited to a home cooked dinner, and then bitching about the food.

Ghstwolf, thank you for bringing this up. I'm delighted to see that I'm not the only one concerned about this.

You hit the nail head on. I saw that in his blog and saw red. I realize that some would prefer that he concentrates on his other stories but this one is excellent as well and while I very much await DOT and such I would love to see this concept continue on for a long time as well. As Dan himself pointed out and I will paraphrase here, there are infinite possibilities inherent in this concept. I agree 100% with that. I hope he doesn't give in to these people.

On your dinner note its kind of funny you mention that because my daughter's boyfriend came for Easter dinner last night and when I served him his plate he started bitching about my gravy being on his potatoes.

Of course I told him to eat it and shut up which he quicly did. :D

You hit the nail head on. I saw that in his blog and saw red. I realize that some would prefer that he concentrates on his other stories but this one is excellent as well and while I very much await DOT and such I would love to see this concept continue on for a long time as well. As Dan himself pointed out and I will paraphrase here, there are infinite possibilities inherent in this concept. I agree 100% with that. I hope he doesn't give in to these people.

On your dinner note its kind of funny you mention that because my daughter's boyfriend came for Easter dinner last night and when I served him his plate he started bitching about my gravy being on his potatoes.

Of course I told him to eat it and shut up which he quickly did. :D

I sure saw red, too. IMHO one of the best ways for a writer to develop writer's block is to not follow their own preferences, be it DIR or whatever else Dan has in the works.

BTW, good for you regarding the dinner! Be glad you don't have my temper: A cousin tried a similar stunt on me a few years ago, at my own birthday (And I was stuck doing all the cooking). He didn't like either of the two types of gravy I'd made, and was nagging me to make him some (instead of eating my own dinner!). I solved the problem by informing him that if he mentioned it again, he would be wearing the gravy.

This chapter was different... wasn't nearly as dynamic as other chapters... It all took place (well except for the very begining) in davey's room.... its like.... anything that didnt happen in his room had this dream like state to it where you were just kind of drifting... or maybe i was half asleep when i read this chapter... maybe that too... lol

I'm very interested to see where the argument with Papa goes. Papa, after all, knows both Davey and Sean's secret.

I liked the way his friend's forgave him but in a way that clearly conveyed their continuing displeasure.

oh and by the way... PLZ POST IN UR OWN FORUMS DAN!!! WE MISS YOU!!!!!

The cuddly lil boi -

Brax

I second that!

BTW, Brax, do you have access to a baseball uniform? And a camera? Perhaps Dan is bribable? :devil::devil::devil:

Edited by C James

I sure saw red, too. IMHO one of the best ways for a writer to develop writer's block is to not follow their own preferences, be it DIR or whatever else Dan has in the works.

BTW, good for you regarding the dinner! Be glad you don't have my temper: A cousin tried a similar stunt on me a few years ago, at my own birthday (And I was stuck doing all the cooking). He didn't like either of the two types of gravy I'd made, and was nagging me to make him some (instead of eating my own dinner!). I solved the problem by informing him that if he mentioned it again, he would be wearing the gravy.

Ouch

I just noticed that he put in his blog that essentially he wants it over and that is why he is finishing it up quickly and not because of people complaining. Which is good although I will miss it.

I also think a few of all didn't quite understand, or I wasn't clear, about some of the writing going into DIR. Yeah some people want the story over already...but I'm going to write it the way I want, period. Because I'm determined to finish this story up rather quickly, I'm not going to show a lot of the development of the ancillary characters the way I would if it had gone on...

I won't rule out ever going back and telling how Sean and Brandon took comfort in each other and built a relationship between them stronger, better, than anything that had come before, but I doubt I'll ever tell that story.

End quote

So the good news is that he isn't being swayed to end it because of those complaining which I am very glad to hear but the bad news is that he seems tired of it and wants it over which is his choice of course but I'll sure miss it. Can't wait to see what he does with DOT though and the others he is talking about writing.

So the good news is that he isn't being swayed to end it because of those complaining which I am very glad to hear but the bad news is that he seems tired of it and wants it over which is his choice of course but I'll sure miss it. Can't wait to see what he does with DOT though and the others he is talking about writing.

I'm glad he's doing it per his own choice, so, as much as I hate to see it end, I'll just look foward to new chapters of DOT and whatever else he writes.

Um, used sporting good stores...or just plain sporting good stores...and I'm still waiting... :)

Oh damn, today's thursday and I usually post a chapter on Friday, but if I'm waiting I don't know if...

:) (okay, I'm in a freaky mood and want to tweak some noses)

Um, used sporting good stores...or just plain sporting good stores...and I'm still waiting... :)

Oh damn, today's thursday and I usually post a chapter on Friday, but if I'm waiting I don't know if...

:) (okay, I'm in a freaky mood and want to tweak some noses)

New chapter!!! New chapter!!! New chapter!!!

(to quote a certain someone in another forum...) :P:P:P:P

And a Ps. to Brax: Would a costume rental store work??

I haven't seen anyone mention this yet, so I will: Davey revealed that he plans to become a pro baseball player! That should prove very interesting indeed, and be a great contrast to his career as seen in DO.