Geeks and Dorks Convention hall

This is a place to discuss all things geeky and dorky:

From the newest Tech toys like 3D VR for computers to potential new tech coming to market soon like the robot waitress

From Comic book stories like Batman's recent proposal to Catwoman in issue 24 of Batman: DC Rebirth (still waiting on her reply) to TV series like The Arrow, The Flash, Legend of Tomorrow, Supergirl, Agents of Shield, and Gotham.

From classic sci-fi like Isaac Asimov and Philip K. Dick to modern TV ike Star Trek, firefly, Fringe, others.

Everything geeky is discussable here, just make sure don't poke into areas of politics, social commentary is fine, but no direct references.

I'll leave you all with my favorite Sci-Fi anthology opening to inaugurate this chat room:

• Like 5

Well, just a Sad RIP to Ipod Nano and shuffle, Apple decided this week to kill the two music storage systems.

https://www.engadget.com/2017/07/27/apple-discontinues-ipod-nano-and-shuffle/

Is this the end of the MP3 player as a standalone device? I don't know, but it seems like it as phones and app open devices like smartwatches and tablets have taken over.

I bet we can all remember our first ipods and what a dramatic leap they were from CD players, now to see them disappear, it's kind of mortality blow.

Edited by W_L
  • Like 1
26 minutes ago, Kitt said:

Some of us remember "portable" 8 track players dear.  I could pack for a weekend in a bag smaller than the one we had!

I remember the walkmnan cassette players that your  early cassettes players became, those were cool too, then they became CD players, and finally my sleek ipod.

I wonder what will the Guardians of the universe use for their 3rd movie if these things die out, an actual iphone?

• Like 2
1 hour ago, W_L said:

Is this the end of the MP3 player as a standalone device? I don't know, but it seems like it as phones and app open devices like smartwatches and tablets have taken over.

I still own the mp3 player I got for Christmas, in 2011. :P Decades from now, I'll be the old geezer stubbornly clinging to that same mp3 player, lol. 

• Like 1
2 minutes ago, Drew Espinosa said:

I still own the mp3 player I got for Christmas, in 2011. :P Decades from now, I'll be the old geezer stubbornly clinging to that same mp3 player, lol. 

My husband is clinging to his old flip phone, in spite of what he sees I can do with a smart phone, and I am not even what I would call tech savvy! Every time I say the word "upgrade" he grabs his flip phone, holds it to his chest and does his best daffy duck imitation.  "No No NO, mine Mine MINE!"

• Like 4
1 hour ago, Drew Espinosa said:

I'll share my 2009 Sony Mp3 player with you, it's got some new thing called bluetooth :P At least that technology hasn't changed that much

• Like 1
2 hours ago, W_L said:

I remember the walkmnan cassette players that your  early cassettes players became, those were cool too, then they became CD players, and finally my sleek ipod.

I wonder what will the Guardians of the universe use for their 3rd movie if these things die out, an actual iphone?

They actually went on eBay and bout thousands of walkmans just for the movies. 

• Like 1
On 7/26/2017 at 8:42 PM, W_L said:

This is a place to discuss all things geeky and dorky:

From the newest Tech toys like 3D VR for computers to potential new tech coming to market soon like the robot waitress

From Comic book stories like Batman's recent proposal to Catwoman in issue 24 of Batman: DC Rebirth (still waiting on her reply) to TV series like The Arrow, The Flash, Legend of Tomorrow, Supergirl, Agents of Shield, and Gotham.

From classic sci-fi like Isaac Asimov and Philip K. Dick to modern TV ike Star Trek, firefly, Fringe, others.

Everything geeky is discussable here, just make sure don't poke into areas of politics, social commentary is fine, but no direct references.

I'll leave you all with my favorite Sci-Fi anthology opening to inaugurate this chat room:

What a wild intro! I like lol. 

2 hours ago, Drew Espinosa said:

I had an old school MP3 back in the day too (maybe around 2010-11)!? It was shaped like a translucent purple lipstick container. But it broke :( lol.

2 hours ago, Kitt said:

My husband is clinging to his old flip phone, in spite of what he sees I can do with a smart phone, and I am not even what I would call tech savvy! Every time I say the word "upgrade" he grabs his flip phone, holds it to his chest and does his best daffy duck imitation.  "No No NO, mine Mine MINE!"

I can relate to your husband lol. I don't think I got my first smartphone until a year and a half ago! I didn't want to do it cuz my friends told me they got too dependent on it. Now I realize what they were talking about *goes on app store* :P lol.

Anybody watch Jessica Jones or read any comics lately that they would recommend?

• Like 1
7 minutes ago, BDANR said:

I had an old school MP3 back in the day too (maybe around 2010-11)!? It was shaped like a translucent purple lipstick container. But it broke :( lol.

I can relate to your husband lol. I don't think I got my first smartphone until a year and a half ago! I didn't want to do it cuz my friends told me they got too dependent on it. Now I realize what they were talking about *goes on app store* :P lol.

Anybody watch Jessica Jones or read any comics lately that they would recommend?

I just finished JJ. I must say I loved the villain Kilgrave. I recommend reading the Deadpool killogy. Or the Blackest Night series.

• Like 1
56 minutes ago, Wesley8890 said:

I just finished JJ. I must say I loved the villain Kilgrave. I recommend reading the Deadpool killogy. Or the Blackest Night series.

Is that the one where Deadpool goes back in time and screws up the Marvel universe in weird and ironic ways.

1 hour ago, BDANR said:

Thanks,

Flip phones for me were like 2003-2005, then I got my first taste of an actual smart device in 2006 and I never went back.

As for comic book recommendations: I am reading "Secret Empire" in Marvel where Captain America is a Hydra Agent and just took over the world, on DC side, I am working through Rebirth and learning about the Watchmen's intervention into the DC universe, which is really cool too. Dr. Manhattan makes a guess appearance and Oz is obviously Ozymandias, it's a big set up for battle across space/time/reality..

• Like 1
3 minutes ago, W_L said:

Is that the one where Deadpool goes back in time and screws up the Marvel universe in weird and ironic ways.

Actually its where his mind gets even more warped and kills everyone in the marvel university, comers to our reality killing famous literary characters, and finally killing other versions of himself

1 minute ago, Wesley8890 said:

Actually its where his mind gets even more warped and kills everyone in the marvel university, comers to our reality killing famous literary characters, and finally killing other versions of himself

Sweet, it's not a deadpool story unless there's a trail of bodies :lol:

• Like 1
5 hours ago, Wesley8890 said:

I'm midway through it! I'm not really into TV or movies, but I (attempt) to keep up with Jessica Jones. Good story and I really like the characters. Kilgrave is a scary dude! Def one of the more creepier villains I've come across. Once I finish it, I hope to get into Luke Cage! 

I never knew what Deadpool was like until I watched the movie. Ever since, I've been meaning to read the comics. He's very different from other comic book characters I've come across. Now I know what series to look for, so I appreciate the suggestion :).

4 hours ago, W_L said:

Thanks,

Flip phones for me were like 2003-2005, then I got my first taste of an actual smart device in 2006 and I never went back.

As for comic book recommendations: I am reading "Secret Empire" in Marvel where Captain America is a Hydra Agent and just took over the world, on DC side, I am working through Rebirth and learning about the Watchmen's intervention into the DC universe, which is really cool too. Dr. Manhattan makes a guess appearance and Oz is obviously Ozymandias, it's a big set up for battle across space/time/reality..

I was reading Civil War sometime ago. Secret Empire sounds like a good segue, though I'm sure I'll be missing quite a bit lol. I still haven't watched Watchmen, but I think I've seen those comics around in the library. Rebirth sounds really interesting too. I've wanted to introduce myself to the Watchmen comic series, so maybe Rebirth could be a good segue into that? I hardly read comics in chronological order since the library has a limited supply...

12 hours ago, BDANR said:

I'm midway through it! I'm not really into TV or movies, but I (attempt) to keep up with Jessica Jones. Good story and I really like the characters. Kilgrave is a scary dude! Def one of the more creepier villains I've come across. Once I finish it, I hope to get into Luke Cage! 

I never knew what Deadpool was like until I watched the movie. Ever since, I've been meaning to read the comics. He's very different from other comic book characters I've come across. Now I know what series to look for, so I appreciate the suggestion :).

I was reading Civil War sometime ago. Secret Empire sounds like a good segue, though I'm sure I'll be missing quite a bit lol. I still haven't watched Watchmen, but I think I've seen those comics around in the library. Rebirth sounds really interesting too. I've wanted to introduce myself to the Watchmen comic series, so maybe Rebirth could be a good segue into that? I hardly read comics in chronological order since the library has a limited supply...

Well, you probably should start off with Flashpoint if you want to get into Rebirth, because a lot of the crazy stuff just started with Barry making his selfish mistake of saving his mom and altering the future.

New 52 run was a hit/miss, I didn't like the storyline (they split up Lois/Clark Superman, shipped Superman with Wonder Woman, and rewrote a lot of backstories to make the heroes edgier), some good stuff did come from it, I like Batman's run as he was more or less unaffected.

I'd start off Rebirth with the Flash, then Superman, and then Batman series up to around issue 25, when the Button shows up. The COMEDIAN's button of Watchmen

I like this reviewers points on rebirth so far, Spoiler Warning:

• Like 1
23 hours ago, W_L said:

Well, you probably should start off with Flashpoint if you want to get into Rebirth, because a lot of the crazy stuff just started with Barry making his selfish mistake of saving his mom and altering the future.

New 52 run was a hit/miss, I didn't like the storyline (they split up Lois/Clark Superman, shipped Superman with Wonder Woman, and rewrote a lot of backstories to make the heroes edgier), some good stuff did come from it, I like Batman's run as he was more or less unaffected.

I'd start off Rebirth with the Flash, then Superman, and then Batman series up to around issue 25, when the Button shows up. The COMEDIAN's button of Watchmen

I like this reviewers points on rebirth so far, Spoiler Warning:

Ooh yay! They have Flashpoint, Rebirth, and New 52 at the library! I'll check them out soon :). I hadn't realized how much the Flash was an integral part of these stories. Does the Flash tv show on Netflix somewhat stay true to Flash's story? Have you seen it?

6 hours ago, BDANR said:

Ooh yay! They have Flashpoint, Rebirth, and New 52 at the library! I'll check them out soon :). I hadn't realized how much the Flash was an integral part of these stories. Does the Flash tv show on Netflix somewhat stay true to Flash's story? Have you seen it?

CW's flash, the one on Netflix, is kinda true to New 52/Rebirth line of story, it's not perfect.

For one thing, Wally is not a quippy Red-head! Damn You New 52 (I like New 52 black Wally West, but I love my Redhead).

In the comics of Rebirth, you will find out that Redhead Wally does come back, thanks to fans like me :P , and wanders the world looking for answers as to why the universe changed with help from Barry Allen, who remembers him.

The best thing in the show is the complex villains (up to season 2), especially Eobard Thawne, Reverse Flash, he's the best villain on the show and will hook you in Season 1.

Now as for Barry, he's everything you want from Barry Allen-esque Flash, dorky, quirky, and charming. He has a lot of heroic flaws, which is mirrored by his comic counterpart.

In the Flash/Arrowverse tv shows at large, a few things to note: Batman does not exist, so it's Green Arrow who is basically your default Batman-like character.

Superman is from another universe and does not show up, but Supergirl sometimes goes universe hopping to visit Barry. They're "super-friends"

Other things, you will find out later

• Like 2
On 7/31/2017 at 8:55 PM, W_L said:

CW's flash, the one on Netflix, is kinda true to New 52/Rebirth line of story, it's not perfect.

For one thing, Wally is not a quippy Red-head! Damn You New 52 (I like New 52 black Wally West, but I love my Redhead).

In the comics of Rebirth, you will find out that Redhead Wally does come back, thanks to fans like me :P , and wanders the world looking for answers as to why the universe changed with help from Barry Allen, who remembers him.

The best thing in the show is the complex villains (up to season 2), especially Eobard Thawne, Reverse Flash, he's the best villain on the show and will hook you in Season 1.

Now as for Barry, he's everything you want from Barry Allen-esque Flash, dorky, quirky, and charming. He has a lot of heroic flaws, which is mirrored by his comic counterpart.

In the Flash/Arrowverse tv shows at large, a few things to note: Batman does not exist, so it's Green Arrow who is basically your default Batman-like character.

Superman is from another universe and does not show up, but Supergirl sometimes goes universe hopping to visit Barry. They're "super-friends"

Other things, you will find out later

That musical episode was a favorite of mine because it was a mini glee reunion!

Just saw an old film theory and my cynical Matrix movie world is blown:

It's a pretty cool theory, if the film series was all taking place inside a Computer program and the real world never truly appeared at all. It would explain all the stupid logical issues like the battery human pods using more power than they produce, the ability of Neo/Keanu to perform Techno-kinetics. It also means, maybe the machines really aren't evil or our enemies, but a program that we created to protect humanity and offer us a world to sustain ourselves, even if we're fierce individualists and seek to rebel against the world we made ourselves.

On 8/13/2017 at 3:29 PM, W_L said:

So, who knows which state the Simpsons are from? :o:D

Vlcsnap-2012-10-10-17h52m23s240.png

Definitely not Georgia. I've always thought Illinois due to the crossover with family guy I'm now thinking in the New England area, also they're near an ocean

2 minutes ago, Drew Espinosa said:

I like Star Wars, but I don't want people to think I've got daddy issues :P (Palpatine and Anakin, Luke and Anakin/Darth Vader) :P

Of Course, the prequels almost ruined the movies, especially this guy:

c68e5a46199e6917cb955a8163cb859e165ea492

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
Just now, W_L said:

I like Star Wars, but I don't want people to think I've got daddy issues :P (Palpatine and Anakin, Luke and Anakin/Darth Vader) :P

Of Course, the prequels almost ruined the movies, especially this guy:

c68e5a46199e6917cb955a8163cb859e165ea492

Thank god I hate that little gungan idiot. He is responsible for the rise of Palatine, who made him a senator anyway?

• Like 1