12 hours ago, Wesley8890 said:

I've seen a few episodes of QaF mostly because of Aiden Gillen. Also I never noticed Torchwood was an anagram of Doctor Who.

There is of course the famous sex scene (QaF) where he's getting fucked - for the first time - with the theme tune for Dr Who making the sound track. Honestly, the US version of QaF is a pale imitation - why would you re-make an English language gay series for a US audience other than to tone it down, because you don't want the sex - which is just what happened. Don't accept copies, always watch the original!

Oh yes, and regarding Dr Who being for kids. I watched it from the beginning, in black and white, I was eight years old (1963) and it scared the shit out of me - I had to peek out to look from behind the sofa - we had only just got a TV and maybe I was a very sensitive eight year old - LOL!

Edited by William King
  • Wow 1
12 minutes ago, William King said:

There is of course the famous sex scene (QaF) where he's getting fucked - for the first time - with the theme tune for Dr Who making the sound track. Honestly, the US version of QaF is a pale imitation - why would you re-make an English language gay series for a US audience other than to tone it down, because you don't want the sex - which is just what happened. Don't accept copies, always watch the original!

Oh yes, and regarding Dr Who being for kids. I watched it from the beginning, in black and white, I was eight years old (1963) and it scared the shit out of me - I had to peek out to look from behind the sofa - we had only just got a TV and maybe I was a very sensitive eight year old - LOL!

Maybe we wanted more than just 1½ seasons of the show? I watched the original first, then watched the remake. They also ‘adjusted’ the age of the young twink since our age of consent is higher.

And I’ve often read about British kids peeking from behind the sofa because of their fright! Doctor Who was also notorious for its shaky sets! And all the running the Doctor and his Companions do.

I remember being scared of the weird baby played by Clint Howard (Ron’s younger brother) in The Corbomite Maneuver episode of the original Star Trek series. As an adult, he specialized in playing the weird character in his brother’s movies. Some things stay the same even decades later!  ;-)

16 minutes ago, droughtquake said:

I watched the original first, then watched the remake.

Which did you prefer - be honest?

I find remakes are rarely as good as the original, but there are exceptions. I recently saw Dunkerque at the cinema, the remake pays homage to the original film and is really superb.

• Like 1
10 hours ago, William King said:

Which did you prefer - be honest?

I find remakes are rarely as good as the original, but there are exceptions. I recently saw Dunkerque at the cinema, the remake pays homage to the original film and is really superb.

I was going to say I prefer the Russell T Davies reboot over the original Doctor Who!  ;-)

But, to answer your real question, I preferred both – for different reasons. The original was raw and gritty. The remake was more inclusive (although still overwhelmingly white and privileged). They both had things they were better at.

19 minutes ago, William King said:

@droughtquake  did you ever see Skins, the TV series, it also got a short lived US makeover?

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Skins_(UK_TV_series)

I have ‘acquired’ it, but haven’t gotten around to watching it. I also have Shameless (UK). But I’m still trying to get caught up on Doctor Who!  ;-)

• 2 weeks later...
On 10/27/2017 at 4:04 PM, droughtquake said:

I have ‘acquired’ it, but haven’t gotten around to watching it. I also have Shameless (UK). But I’m still trying to get caught up on Doctor Who!  ;-)

I prefer the american Shameless. I love the UK Skins though

• Like 1
33 minutes ago, droughtquake said:

I think the Doctor’s enemy that scares me the most are the Weeping Angels. The way they move when you’re not looking at them frightens me! They terrify me more than Daleks or Cybermen or any of the other recurring enemies.

I totally agree. They are just plain creepy. That one episode was a real freaky one. Messed me up for days

• Haha 1
4 minutes ago, Wesley8890 said:

I totally agree. They are just plain creepy. That one episode was a real freaky one. Messed me up for days

So far, I’ve seen three episodes with the Weeping Angels. Wikipedia says they’ve been in four episodes plus cameos in three others plus an appearance in Class, a Doctor Who spinoff that only lasted one Season. They were introduced in “Blink”, which featured the Tenth Doctor and Martha Jones – but they were trapped in the past. The Doctor used Easter Egg commentaries on video tapes to communicate with Sally Sparrow and Larry Nightingale. The second and third time they appeared was in “The Time of Angels” & “Flesh and Stone” with the Eleventh Doctor and Amy Pond & River Song (I recognized her red heels immediately). Iain Glen (Ser Jorah Mormont in Game of Thrones) was also featured – it took me a while to realize who he was, I thought his voice was familiar!

I haven’t seen the other episodes yet…

4 minutes ago, droughtquake said:

So far, I’ve seen three episodes with the Weeping Angels. Wikipedia says they’ve been in four episodes plus cameos in three others plus an appearance in Class, a Doctor Who spinoff that only lasted one Season. They were introduced in “Blink”, which featured the Tenth Doctor and Martha Jones – but they were trapped in the past. The Doctor used Easter Egg commentaries on video tapes to communicate with Sally Sparrow and Larry Nightingale. The second and third time they appeared was in “The Time of Angels” & “Flesh and Stone” with the Eleventh Doctor and Amy Pond & River Song (I recognized her red heels immediately). Iain Glen (Ser Jorah Mormont in Game of Thrones) was also featured – it took me a while to realize who he was, I thought his voice was familiar!

I haven’t seen the other episodes yet…

Ooh the next one is Angels Take Manhattan I believe. Tearjerker for me. Flesh and Stone is the one that creeped  me out. And I just adore River. 

• Love 1
3 minutes ago, Wesley8890 said:

And I just adore River. 

I’ve loved her ever since she was Dr Elizabeth Corday on ER!

The Dr Mark Greene/brain tumor story arc really hit close to home for me. My mother had a brain tumor too, but hers wasn’t diagnosed until it got fairly large and affected her memory severely. They’d mention medications like Dilantin that my mother had taken. And the penultimate episode of ER’s 8th season where he pulls his daughter Rachel out of school and flies to Hawaii to relive some of his favorite childhood memories with his family before he dies was almost too painful to watch since I spent the first eight years of my life in Hawaii.

6 minutes ago, droughtquake said:

I’ve loved her ever since she was Dr Elizabeth Corday on ER!

The Dr Mark Greene/brain tumor story arc really hit close to home for me. My mother had a brain tumor too, but hers wasn’t diagnosed until it got fairly large and affected her memory severely. They’d mention medications like Dilantin that my mother had taken. And the penultimate episode of ER’s 8th season where he pulls his daughter Rachel out of school and flies to Hawaii to relive some of his favorite childhood memories with his family before he dies was almost too painful to watch since I spent the first eight years of my life in Hawaii.

I haven't gotten that far yet. I have gotten far enough to remember what a pretentious prick Romano was.

• Haha 1
34 minutes ago, Wesley8890 said:

I have gotten far enough to remember what a pretentious prick Romano was.

Paul McCrane, who played Romano, was in Hotel New Hampshire with Jodie Foster, Beau Bridges, Rob Lowe, Nastassja Kinski, Wilford Brimley, Seth Green, and Matthew Modine. His character, Frank, Comes Out to his brother (Rob Lowe) and sister (Jodie Foster). Jodie Foster’s production company is named after the character (Egg) that Seth Green plays. It’s based on a John Irving novel.

I think Rory Williams is one of my favorite Companions, even if he suffers from that all too common flaw of heterosexuality. He’s kind of nerdy or dweebish, but not really dorky – otherwise he’d be adorkable. He gets flustered and confused, but doesn’t seem helpless on his own – unlike so many pre-reboot Companions! I just wish he were blond or redheaded, older, and available!  ;-)

Edited by Former Member

I’ve been watching Season 6 of the reboot. The revelations about River Song just keep shocking me! The first revelation completely bowled me over, the next revelation wasn’t quite as surprising, but it was still totally unexpected! But I won’t say what any of them were – as River Song says, “Spoilers!”  ;-)

2 minutes ago, droughtquake said:

I’ve been watching Season 6 of the reboot. The revelations about River Song just keep shocking me! The first revelation completely bowled me over, the next revelation wasn’t quite as surprising, but it was still totally unexpected! But I won’t say what any of them were – as River Song says, “Spoilers!”  ;-)

I know my little brother and I were shocked as well. She is my all time fave. I love it when her and the doctor try to sync up their adventures

• Love 1
  • 2 weeks later...

Matt Smith is scheduled to be a guest on Jimmy Kimmel Live tonight (11/30/2017) on ABC. Although it’s possible it’s a different Matt Smith, the alternatives listed on Wikipedia don’t seem likely. But I’m not sure why he’d be on the show now. He doesn’t seem to have any movies or mainstream TV shows to promote (Patient Zero has no release date, it’s too early to start promoting Mapplethorpe, and The Crown doesn’t seem to fit JKL’s demographic).

I find it interesting that The Doctor keeps saying ‘Geronimo!’ in Season 7. Neither he, nor the BBC seems to be aware just how offensive the exclamation is. It’s a reference to the Native-American leader, but used this way is an insult originated by those geniuses of tact and subtlety, the US military (paratroopers, in particular). I would think The Doctor was more knowledgable about the origins of the things he says.

Season seven is also notable for having several Game of Thrones alumni featured. I easily recognized Liam (Davos Seaworth) Cunningham and Tobias (Edmure Tully) Menzies in Cold War. I recognized Diana (Olenna Tyrell) Riggs’ voice before I figured out who she was in The Crimson Horror.

Not from Game of Thrones, but fondly remembered as Freddie Honeychurch in A Room with a View, Alec Scudder in Maurice, and Paul Prentice in Different for Girls, Rupert Graves who was featured as a big-game hunter in Dinosaurs on a Spaceship. Coincidentally he exposed his penis in all of those movie roles.

Edited by Former Member

I can't say I'm a real Doctor Who fan, and I have no clue about most of the stuff you're discussing, but I do recall seeing the TV version in UK during the 1970'ies or early 1980'ies. In the beginning I could barely understand what they were saying or doing, but my English cousins loved the show. A few vivid scenes remain in my memory along with image of the signature scarf and telephone booth.

Edited by Timothy M.
  • Haha 1
2 minutes ago, Timothy M. said:

A few vivid scenes remain in my memory along with image of the signature scarf

Ah, the Fourth Doctor. I preferred the Fifth Doctor.  ;-)

fifth-doctor-7.jpg&f=1

From the Five Doctors special, (clockwise from the left) the First Doctor, the Fourth Doctor, the Second Doctor, the Third Doctor, and the Fifth Doctor.

fifth-doctor-and-companions.jpg&f=1

Openly Gay Matthew Waterhouse as Adric. Nyssa is standing behind his shoulder, Tegan is on the far right. Note the Doctor’s stalk of celery!  ;-)

maxresdefault.jpg&f=1

Tegan again, with newer Companion, Turlough. I’m sure @Timothy M. knows which companion I preferred. And why!  ;-)

29 minutes ago, Timothy M. said:

I think the Third Doctor is the one I used to watch on TV. Thanks for the pics, @droughtquake - and yes I can guess your favorite Companion. :P 

If you remember the signature scarf, it almost has to be Tom Baker (4th doctor) .... ;)

• Like 1
  • Love 1