The Drop in Centre

Mikiesboy

Since words and language and so on is a theme here, I thought I'd share this thing I wrote after doing some research on the word Easter a few years ago. I'll put it here in case anyone might find it interesting.

Edited by Thorn Wilde
  • Like 2

Morning ... have a nice day.

propitious Audio pronunciation

adjective | pruh-PISH-us  

Definition

:
favorably disposed : benevolent

:
being a good omen : auspicious

:
tending to favor : advantageous

Propitious, which comes to us through Middle English from the Latin word propitius, is a synonym of favorable and auspicious. All three essentially mean "pointing toward a happy outcome," with some differences of emphasis. Favorable implies that someone or something involved in a situation is approving or helpful ("a favorable recommendation"), or that circumstances are advantageous ("favorable weather conditions"). Auspicious usually applies to a sign or omen that promises success before or at the start of an event ("an auspicious beginning"). Propitious may also apply to beginnings, but it often suggests a continuing promising condition ("propitious conditions for an alliance").

• Love 5

4 minutes ago, Mikiesboy said:

adjective | pruh-PISH-us  

Definition

:

:

:

Propitious, which comes to us through Middle English from the Latin word propitius, is a synonym of favorable and auspicious. All three essentially mean "pointing toward a happy outcome," with some differences of emphasis. Favorable implies that someone or something involved in a situation is approving or helpful ("a favorable recommendation"), or that circumstances are advantageous ("favorable weather conditions"). Auspicious usually applies to a sign or omen that promises success before or at the start of an event ("an auspicious beginning"). Propitious may also apply to beginnings, but it often suggests a continuing promising condition ("propitious conditions for an alliance").

Morning, tim! That's a great word. Thank you.

Edited by Thorn Wilde
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, Mikiesboy said:

adjective | pruh-PISH-us  

Definition

:

:

:

morning to you too tim xo

i've been mispronouncing this word forever, PRO, instead of pruh. it is a good word, one i'm trying to figure out how use thanks for putting it out here 💛

• Like 3

• Site Moderator
1 hour ago, Mikiesboy said:

adjective | pruh-PISH-us  

Definition

:

:

:

Good morning, tim. Cool word. :) 

• Like 4

7 hours ago, Mikiesboy said:

adjective | pruh-PISH-us  

Definition

:

:

:

Love it. New one for me.

• Like 3
  • Love 1

• Site Moderator
11 minutes ago, Mikiesboy said:

it was new to me also, Sir.

Hey tim.

It was new to me, too. I must say, I also love that I can listen to the pronunciation of the word, because sometimes the spelled out pronunciation can be a little tricky at least for me anyway. 

• Like 3

1 minute ago, MacGreg said:

Having a nice day?

Yes, Sir  thank You.   i suppose that depends on Your definition of nice, Sir.  But i did some writing and baked some cookies.

• Like 4

Just now, Mikiesboy said:

Yes, Sir  thank You.   i suppose that depends on Your definition of nice, Sir.  But i did some writing and baked some cookies.

That sounds nice to me.

• Like 4

Just now, MacGreg said:

That sounds nice to me.

yes, those things are nice. i've been pleased with my writing lately, Sir.  Michael was pleased with the cookies.

• Like 1
  • Love 3

2 minutes ago, Mikiesboy said:

yes, those things are nice. i've been pleased with my writing lately, Sir.  Michael was pleased with the cookies.

Then it's a win all around!

• Like 4

Just now, MacGreg said:

Then it's a win all around!

yes Sir .. all around. i hope Your Saturday has been pleasant also, Sir.

• Like 4

Just now, Mikiesboy said:

yes Sir .. all around. i hope Your Saturday has been pleasant also, Sir.

It's been pretty good. Nice day out. Mowed my back lawn earlier; the grass is already getting long from all of the moisture we had.

• Like 3
  • Love 1

Just now, MacGreg said:

It's been pretty good. Nice day out. Mowed my back lawn earlier; the grass is already getting long from all of the moisture we had.

Nice. The sky is brighter first time since Thursday, Sir. Maybe the rain has stopped.

• Like 4

Just now, MacGreg said:

The backyard's all ready for play time, btw.

That's wonderful,Sir.  Are you having company tonight? Small gathering?

• Like 3

1 minute ago, Parker Owens said:

Happy Saturday everyone. Getting ready to sing tonight ...  and quiche is in the oven...

Happy Saturday, Parker. Both the singing and the quiche sound great.

• Like 4
  • Love 1

2 minutes ago, Mikiesboy said:

That's wonderful,Sir.  Are you having company tonight? Small gathering?

Let's call it an informal Easter egg hunt.

• Like 3
  • Love 2

Important Information

Our Privacy Policy can be found here: Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue..