The Drop in Centre

Mikiesboy

1 hour ago, rickproehl said:

I bet it is .... i have a mystery idea if you want one or two.

Thanks, rick.  But a mystery is a strange thing to tell.  Maybe I'm weird, but I need it to belong to me... the whoooooole thing, if I have any chance at all of pulling it off.

• Like 1

Also, the Halloween post made me remember this.

If you have seen The Thing, then I'd recommend this short story.  If you've not, don't read it!  It'll give away plot points about the movie, and you really should watch it at least once.

http://clarkesworldmagazine.com/watts_01_10/

Edited by Wayne Gray
  • Like 2

• Site Moderator
3 minutes ago, Wayne Gray said:

Also, the Halloween post made me remember this.

If you have seen The Thing, then I'd recommend this short story.  If you've not, don't read it!  It'll give away plot points about the movie, and you really should watch it at least once.

Thought Id seen The Thing, but nope (reading this is bringing to mind Cousin It from the Addams Family for some reason I know not. Hmm...) Looks scary and creepy anyways - bit beyond my scope of liking these days. Am I getting old? :unsure: 

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, Reader1810 said:

Thought Id seen The Thing, but nope (reading this is bringing to mind Cousin It from the Addams Family for some reason I know not. Hmm...) Looks scary and creepy anyways - bit beyond my scope of liking these days. Am I getting old? :unsure: 

So... The Thing is a story of an expedition in the arctic which stumbles on a space ship.  An OLD space ship.  Inside, they find an 8 1/2' tall mostly bipedal creature.

This story, the one I linked tells the tale from the perspective of the "monster" in the movie.  It's truly alien.  It sees no problem with erasing individuality, and in fact, can't quite comprehend why anyone would want to be individual.

Think the Borg, except in a very insidious package.  A clever, concealed, and brutal package...

• Like 3
  • Wow 1

22 minutes ago, Wayne Gray said:

So... The Thing is a story of an expedition in the arctic which stumbles on a space ship.  An OLD space ship.  Inside, they find an 8 1/2' tall mostly bipedal creature.

This story, the one I linked tells the tale from the perspective of the "monster" in the movie.  It's truly alien.  It sees no problem with erasing individuality, and in fact, can't quite comprehend why anyone would want to be individual.

Think the Borg, except in a very insidious package.  A clever, concealed, and brutal package...

Wasn't James Arness in the original and Kurt Russell in a remake?

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, mollyhousemouse said:

Wasn't James Arness in the original and Kurt Russell in a remake?

I believe you're right about the first, and I know you are about the second.  The remake was the one I liked the best.  It was just... it made me jump, and yelp, and shiver.

• Like 3

9 hours ago, Brayon said:

Busy morning, so far.

Fitness Center this morning.
Finished Beta Reading a chapter for tim.
Some research for a Psychology Paper.

And now, reading over what I have written for Tampa Chronicles 4: True Family Always Has Your Back.

I'm realizing just how much I suck at naming stories and chapters.

You could always change the name of unposted chapters ..  

• Like 3

5 minutes ago, rickproehl said:

You could always change the name of unposted chapters ..  

They're all unpublished right now, so they'll be some changes between now and publication. But, a few are staying like:
Answers to Unasked Questions
Smith/Turner v. The Commonwealth of Massachussetts
Boston Days & Boston Nights
You Can Never Go Back to Childhood

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Brayon said:

They're all unpublished right now, so they'll be some changes between now and publication. But, a few are staying like:
Answers to Unasked Questions
Smith/Turner v. The Commonwealth of Massachussetts
Boston Days & Boston Nights
You Can Never Go Back to Childhood

You could always think of the as “working titles” you hear that a lot with other authors.

So things going good for you?

• Like 1

Just now, rickproehl said:

You could always think of the as “working titles” you hear that a lot with other authors.

So things going good for you?

Yeah, things are quiet. Watching two little boys, while their parents are at work. Though I've threatened to give the 2y/o some coffee before they get picked up.

I'm lurking GA, between reading about Psychoanalytical Theories.

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, Brayon said:

Yeah, things are quiet. Watching two little boys, while their parents are at work. Though I've threatened to give the 2y/o some coffee before they get picked up.

You are a good babysitter/uncle use S͏u͏gar it will have the same effect. Offer them your favorite ice cream.

Edited by rickproehl
Spelling
  • Haha 2

2 minutes ago, rickproehl said:

You are a good babysitter/uncle use S͏u͏gar it will have the same effect. Offed them your favorite ice cream.

Haven't been to the store yet to replace my stash. LOL. They've already drank the last of my chocolate milk mix. *sniffles* I need to get more Bunny Milk Powder.

• Like 2
  • Sad 2

@Brayon good to hear things are going well

@Wayne Gray The Thing was one of those movies i couldn't wait to share with the kids. that's been a good family memory, sharing these as tbey got old enough.

@rickproehl sounds like you had a good day!

we had some of Phil's award winning brisket for dinner, now just settling in for the night

i'll be around though

• Like 2
  • Love 3

3 minutes ago, mollyhousemouse said:

@Wayne Gray The Thing was one of those movies i couldn't wait to share with the kids. that's been a good family memory, sharing these as tbey got old enough.

we had some of Phil's award winning brisket for dinner, now just settling in for the night

i'll be around though

Mmmmm!  Brisket!  Man, that's like meaty candy!

molly, if you're a fan of The Thing, check out this link... short story told from The Thing's perspective.  I linked it above, but it's worth once more!  *shiver*

• Like 1
  • Love 2

12 minutes ago, Brayon said:

Haven't been to the store yet to replace my stash. LOL. They've already drank the last of my chocolate milk mix. *sniffles* I need to get more Bunny Milk Powder.

Well you better stock up you never know when a hurricane of kids will come to there favorite candy / ice cream uncle and just bat there eyes and say “ please” 

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

11 minutes ago, mollyhousemouse said:

i'll be around though

Thanks molly Wayne our favorite family horror movie memory was during JAWS we all went to the Drive in Theatre and when the Shark jumps out of the water after the boat my sister was 10 at the time and let’s say it didn’t go well for her and she had to run to the bathroom. Let’s say that move is not her favorite one.

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

1 minute ago, rickproehl said:

Sirs and friends 

i have a few things I need to think to do before bed and meditation. So everyone have a great night and a wonderful Monday

i will see everyone in the AM

good night rick

rest well

• Like 3
  • Love 1

• Site Moderator
19 minutes ago, rickproehl said:

Sirs and friends 

i have a few things I need to think to do before bed and meditation. So everyone have a great night and a wonderful Monday

i will see everyone in the AM

Good night rick...happy dreams

• Like 2

1 hour ago, rickproehl said:

Well you better stock up you never know when a hurricane of kids will come to there favorite candy / ice cream uncle and just bat there eyes and say “ please”

As long as it's not Bébé's Kids, all will be fine. LOL. We're hitting the grocery store tomorrow, so I'll be getting a few things.

• Like 2

Important Information

Our Privacy Policy can be found here: Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue..