Searching and recommending stories - categories.

Go to solution Solved by Myr,

There are lots of search criteria when looking for stories to read, so it does seem a bit mean to ask for something more. However, if other readers think the same and it's not too difficult to do, would it be possible to add a story length criteria that limits the story size. I often prefer to read short books, novellas, 20k to 50k words, and it would be nice to bring up a list of books within that category, >20k <50k.

It might also be worth considering categorising books by size or genre, for recommended stories. Although I appreciate that may be more difficult, perhaps not due to the technical sorting but the display. It may or may not be worth consideration, the possibilities on this site do seem endless given how you have set it up. You might have top recommended Drama or Sci-fi story rather than simply top recommended story. It's quite nice if you are a Sci-fi reader to see the top Sci-fi books. The same applies to story length, top recommended novellas, you don't always want to read those mammoth works of 200k words or huge series. Catogorising recommended stories could give more authors visibility.

• Like 2
  • Site Administrator
3 hours ago, Talo Segura said:

There are lots of search criteria when looking for stories to read, so it does seem a bit mean to ask for something more. However, if other readers think the same and it's not too difficult to do, would it be possible to add a story length criteria that limits the story size. I often prefer to read short books, novellas, 20k to 50k words, and it would be nice to bring up a list of books within that category, >20k <50k.

We will not be adding a customizable range on the front end.  We had that in the past and too many people complained but it's too complicated.  It's already complicated enough.

I will look into preset story length categories, but that is going to take development time.

3 hours ago, Talo Segura said:

It might also be worth considering categorising books by size or genre, for recommended stories

The developer is working on improvements to the Recommendations page.  Putting in story filters is on the list.

• Like 5
  • 4 weeks later...