Face masks for all?

To be clear, the video was just meant to raise a laugh - face masks for pets is not a good idea, especially dogs:  

“I do not recommend the use of pet masks,” says Dr. Bayley. “There is not enough circulation nor room in these masks for proper ventilation and panting to occur, which dogs need to be able to do. They also can’t access water. This is especially not good with flat-faced dogs, as it could be very dangerous to restrict airflow to these dogs.”  

Plus, if we consulted the millions of people around the world now wearing face masks, we’d likely hear complaints about how cumbersome, hot, and poorly ventilated they are. A dog would tell you the same thing... Dr. Bayley adds. “This makes it difficult for them to know how to respond, and it also suffocates the number one sensory organ they use to navigate this world.”        

https://www.rd.com/advice/pets/should-your-dog-be-wearing-a-pet-mask/

As every dog owner will should know, dogs regulate their body temperature mainly by panting. If you restrict their ability to pant normally then they will be at higher risk of overheating. If a dog overheats and is not given immediate cooling treatment it will die.

Edited by Zombie
  • Haha 1

By all means laugh at the video but animal welfare isn’t a laughing matter - animal cruelty whether intentional or not (and in this matter it will surely not be intentional) is still cruelty

• Love 1

I was laughing because my own comment wasn’t intended to be taken seriously in this context even though it is factual. Jane Goodall is seriously concerned about Covid-19 infecting Great Apes which share up to 98.6% (depending on which species we’re talking about) of our DNA. She was interviewed by Christiane Amanpour last night about that.