True As It Can Be

Well, you guys know my taste in reading is eclectic, so what about my actual writing.

True As It Can Be is a story set in the modern world without any magic or fantasy. It's characters are lost, tragic, and very human. I also wanted to add some personal reflection, knowledge, and experience into my writing about things I haven't seen many authors comment on.

As I noted in my story's summary page, I was inspired by Beauty and the Beast, heavily on its Disney animated version, but I inverted themes from the 1946 Jean Cocteau classic black and white film instead of elevating it as Disney did. I had several ideas on how to approach this, but never really stretched them out into plans.

Truth be told, I have Nelson Muntz, part-time bully/part-time bi-curious love interest of main characters from the Simpsons, to thank specifically for getting me to write this story with actual theme and concept. In an old Season 14 Episode 08 quote, he outlines a concept that got me to think,

Shut Up! Some of us prefer Illusion to despair- Nelson Muntz

It's an innocuous comment about wanting to live in fantasy rather than facing issues, but for a person with disabilities, it's not always possible and sometimes dangerous for us to live in an illusion. Yet, despair is destructive and all-consuming choice, especially in a world where your limitations are physical. Truth is the only path forward, though it cannot be complete or full, because despair is just one detail away.

So, the second line of Beauty and the Beast theme made perfect sense to me as a 3rd answer to horrible choice of "Illusion or Despair".

Anyway readers, if you wanted to know why and how I started writing this story, there's your thought process

Edited by W_L
  • Like 2
  • Love 1
  • 2 months later...

Well guys, after 2 months, 1 prologue, 20 chapters, and an epilogue, the store is complete. 80K words is nothing to scoff at.

The question now for readers is: "Do You Want Some More?" or will the ending satisfy you.

As I said, I have prepared for a sequel if I were to write one, but it depends on readers' reactions. Currently, as of this morning, the story has 3 recommendations and 5 likes, but I do know there are a lot more people following. I do understand if people aren't interested in the plot or the characters continuing.

Edited by W_L
  • Like 1

I am getting close to the end of the story. Unless you do something very strange, I would like a sequel. I will certainly be reviewing this work when I finish. You have seen my chapter comments so you know where my thoughts go :) .

• Love 2