Factoids - useless but interesting snippets

On 10/10/2021 at 8:06 AM, Zombie said:

“ “Many years ago, Norris Church, the sixth (and last) wife of the novelist Norman Mailer, wrote me from their Provincetown home to complain about my misuse of the word “factoid.”

She pointed out that her husband had coined the word in his 1973 book about Marilyn Monroe, “Marilyn,” and that it meant not “an odd little fact,” but “facts which have no existence before appearing in a magazine or newspaper, creations which are not so much lies as a product to manipulate emotion in the Silent Majority.”

https://www.bostonglobe.com/2021/07/23/opinion/just-factoids-please/

Well tough titty, Norris - or should I say Barbara? (her husband Norman Mailer told her she should change her name from Barbara Jean Davis - Factoid #1 :P) - because no-one controls language (despite pitiful efforts by the Académie Française - Factoid #2 :gikkle:)

Anyway, that’s all by the by - here’s the factoid I wanted to post (#3 :funny:), as officially written on the State of Virginia roadside historical marker / commemorative plaque. So it must be true! :lol:

spacer.png

I wonder if Zona appeared to her mother and told her this on Halloween.  

• Haha 3
  • 1 month later...

Neither August Ferdinand Möbius (1790-1868) nor Johann Benedict Listing (1808-1882) invented the Möbius Strip - this Roman mosaic from about 200AD (at a Roman villa in Sentinum, now called Sassoferrato) proves it was known in the ancient world (I guess we’ll never know whether the Ancient Greeks, or Indian or Islamic mathematicians, ever figured out the mathematics).

spacer.png

Edited by Zombie
  • Like 3

F. Scott Fitzgerald is most famously known for his novel, The Great Gatsby. What is lesser-known about Fitzgerald: his full name is Francis Scott Key Fitzgerald. He was named in honor of his ancestor, Francis Scott Key, who penned "The Star-Spangled Banner".

• Like 5
2 hours ago, Page Scrawler said:

F. Scott Fitzgerald is most famously known for his novel, The Great Gatsby. What is lesser-known about Fitzgerald: his full name is Francis Scott Key Fitzgerald. He was named in honor of his ancestor, Francis Scott Key, who penned "The Star-Spangled Banner".

Was he also related to the Boston Fitzgeralds, primarily Homey Fitz whose grandchildren formed Joe Kennedy's clan? 

• Like 2
  • Haha 1
  • 1 month later...

Monocular stereopsis

WTF???
Yes, strange but true, you can see in 3D with just one eye 👀 …even when viewing a two-dimensional image, like the screen you’re looking at now

Don’t believe it?
Watch this YouTube on “full screen” setting from this link https://youtu.be/fljp-Q784r4?t=161, cover one eye with your hand (don’t think it matters which) and just look at the flowery shrub thing on the right (mute the sound, it’ll distract)

How/why does it happen? Because human vision works by receiving data from the eyes which do not function as cameras - it’s the processing by the brain of the eye data that creates the images we see

Quite a lot on the web if you search the term but this weird phenomenon does not seem to be generally accepted, known or understood

Edited by Zombie
  • Wow 2
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

for no reason whatever :funny: here’s a pic of Cristiano Ronaldo’s statue in Funchal, his hometown, which er.. seems to have received much admiration :gikkle:

spacer.png
and here’s another angle :P

spacer.png

Edited by Zombie
  • Like 2
  • Haha 2
2 hours ago, Zombie said:

for no reason whatever :funny: here’s a pic of Cristiano Ronaldo’s statue in Funchal, his hometown, which er.. seems to have received much admiration :gikkle:

spacer.png
and here’s another angle :P

spacer.png

Everyone looks for heroes to admire.  It seems as if Fimchal, if not of Portugal, has found theirs for now.  

• Like 3
  • 3 weeks later...
1 hour ago, Zombie said:

this is Spike

he’s got 15,000 fans on Facebook

and he’s just been voted the world’s most popular “flightless:gikkle: bird”

spacer.png

Just a suggestion, Spike - if you’re planning to cash in on your newfound fame you might wanna book yourself in for a makeover and smarten yourself up a bit… :lol: :gikkle:

It doesn't say where Spike is currently residing, but with that  feather coat I hope it's somewhere cool.  I take it Spike is a juvenile, because otherwise he would have lost the feathers already.  

• Like 3
  • 1 month later...

The Universe tastes like raspberries. Scientists discovered a cloud of gas particles close to the center of the Milky Way galaxy. This isn't remarkable by itself, but when they aimed a light spectrometer telescope at this particular gas cloud, it was determined that the cloud was made up of ethyl formate. Which is the compound that gives raspberries their flavor.

• Like 2
  • Haha 2
  • Wow 1
  • 2 months later...
  • 5 weeks later...

The “Mandela Effect”

collective false memory -_-

..or proof we are living in a parallel worlds computer simulation (Philip K Dick) :o

So Rich Uncle Moneybags (Mr Monopoly) wears a monocle, right?
Except of course he doesn’t :gikkle:

…or did he?? :unsure:

spacer.png

Mr Peanut does!

peanut-dance.gif

so maybe it’s just a stronger brand we “remember” :unsure2:

And Queen didn’t end their famous song “We are the Champions” with “Of The World!” did they? :huh:

sometimes they did!

• Like 3
  • Haha 2
2 hours ago, Zombie said:

The “Mandela Effect”

..or proof we are living in a parallel worlds computer simulation (Philip K Dick) :o

spacer.png

Mr Peanut does!

peanut-dance.gif

And Queen didn’t end their famous song “We are the Champions” with “Of The World!” did they? :huh:

sometimes they did!

Then maybe I'm not the only one who confuses things like this.  😵

• Like 2
  • Haha 3

Bothy

Although small, the UK has many remote mountainous areas where the weather can suddenly get bad very quickly. A bothy is a basic shelter for anyone to use free of charge and they are found in various parts of the UK (especially Scotland). Commonly used by hikers…

...who might have a surprise encounter!

Edited by Zombie
  • Love 4
  • Site Moderator
59 minutes ago, Zombie said:

Bothy

Although small, the UK has many remote mountainous areas where the weather can suddenly get bad very quickly. A bothy is a basic shelter for anyone to use free of charge and they are found in various parts of the UK (especially Scotland). Commonly used by hikers…

...who might have a surprise encounter!

Very interesting. The property owners have little to do with them beyond allowing them to be on their land and most are maintained by the Mountain Bothies Association, a charity. By law, they can't have power, piped in water or heat.

• Like 2
  • Love 3
  • Site Moderator
32 minutes ago, Bill W said:

And to my utter surprise, King Charles was walking totally alone along the trail and wasn't accompanied by any protective detail, and he casually stopped to chat with the bikers.  If that was the President of the United States, he'd have a Secret Service detail with him at all times.  

I recall Queen Elizabeth and Prince Philip going about the estate at Balmoral alone also.

• Like 2
  • Wow 2
1 hour ago, drpaladin said:

I recall Queen Elizabeth and Prince Philip going about the estate at Balmoral alone also.

Than either the Brits are less likely to harm the royals or the country, as a whole, has less to fear or worry about.  

• Like 5
  • Site Moderator
On 9/19/2023 at 9:38 AM, Zombie said:

The “Mandela Effect”

spacer.png

Mr Peanut does!

peanut-dance.gif

sometimes they did!

Probably one everyone gets wrong is "Heigh-Ho" from Snow White and the Seven Dwarfs. Do you sing "Heigh ho, heigh ho, it's off to work I go?"

Nope. Not right.

• Love 3
  • 2 weeks later...

Earth’s shadow

Sometimes, if conditions are just right, it’s possible to see the Earth’s shadow cast by the planet onto the atmosphere by the rising (or setting) Sun - seen here in this photo as the curved band of cloud (bluish) between the horizon and the pink coloured band

spacer.png

Edited by Zombie
  • Like 1
  • Wow 2
  • 2 weeks later...