Factoids - useless but interesting snippets

4 hours ago, drpaladin said:

Having passed close to hog farms (rapidly, I might add), I have a reference for this aroma. But what does Eau de Frog smell like?

Didn't you ever go frog hunting as a kid?  It's kind of a fishy-like smell to repel mosquitos, but if they get stressed they can give off an even stronger smell, kind of a chemical smell.  

Oh, and thank you for the quote at the bottom, Marc Anthony, or should I say William Shakespeare? 

Edited by Bill W
  • Like 3
55 minutes ago, Page Scrawler said:

Some residents of Iceland use geothermal heat to bake bread. They will bury pots of dough underground, near a geyser, and place a stone on top of the dig site. This alerts others that the area is not to be disturbed, leaving the bread to bake all day.

That's a very smart and environmentally friendly way to bake bread.  It's also very creative and I'm sure the temperature is fairly consistent, which makes it useful.  

• Like 2
  • Love 1
  • Site Moderator
4 hours ago, Bill W said:

Didn't you ever go frog hunting as a kid?  It's kind of a fishy-like smell to repel mosquitos, but if they get stressed they can give off an even stronger smell, kind of a chemical smell.  

Oh, and thank you for the quote at the bottom, Marc Anthony, or should I say William Shakespeare? 

No, I never went frog hunting. I don't think I know anyone who did.

• Like 3

I've been frog hunting and toad hunting.  Differing varieties have different smells.

• Like 4
  • Site Moderator
45 minutes ago, ReaderPaul said:

I've been frog hunting and toad hunting.  Differing varieties have different smells.

I do know a guy who's been catching venomous snakes with bare hands since he was a kid. He puts his hand in their dens and grabs them. He swears he finds them by smelling them.

• Wow 3
13 hours ago, Bill W said:

Didn't you ever go frog hunting as a kid?  It's kind of a fishy-like smell to repel mosquitos, ...

Oddly (not oddly since mosquitoes do have niches), there is one mosquito that only feeds on frogs and other amphibians. But Culex territans do prefer frogs and toads.

• Like 4
9 hours ago, drpaladin said:

No, I never went frog hunting. I don't think I know anyone who did.

Then you must have been a city boy, not a country boy like me. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 2
7 hours ago, ReaderPaul said:

Yes, their scents are mainly to fend off mosquitoes and other predators.  They don't want to appear too tasty a meal, although sometimes their scent is to attract a mate.  

• Like 4
6 hours ago, drpaladin said:

I do know a guy who's been catching venomous snakes with bare hands since he was a kid. He puts his hand in their dens and grabs them. He swears he finds them by smelling them.

Yes, snakes give off an odor as well, and I hope he carries some anti-venom serum around with him, just in case. 

• Like 2
29 minutes ago, Ron said:

Oddly (not oddly since mosquitoes do have niches), there is one mosquito that only feeds on frogs and other amphibians. But Culex territans do prefer frogs and toads.

Possibly it just to keep the mosquitoes from being a nuisance or keeping the tasty flies away. 

• Like 3
  • Site Moderator
34 minutes ago, Bill W said:

Yes, snakes give off an odor as well, and I hope he carries some anti-venom serum around with him, just in case. 

He says they won't bite him because he's their friend. Did I fail to mention he's crazy?

• Haha 3
  • Wow 2
On 3/1/2024 at 8:50 PM, Zombie said:

in 1995 Kermit the frog launched his own perfumed cologne, Amphibia“Pour homme, femme, et frog” -_- :gikkle:

Miss Piggy, consumed with rage and jealousy, launched her own exclusive line of must-have beauty products, Moi, in 1998 :lol: :funny:

LMAO :rofl:

• Haha 4
  • 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Yak milk contains anti-carcinogenic and anti-diabetic properties. Due to the volume of dairy they consume, the people of Tibet have exceptionally low rates of cancer and diabetes.

• Like 3
Posted (edited)
41 minutes ago, Page Scrawler said:

Yak milk contains anti-carcinogenic and anti-diabetic properties. Due to the volume of dairy they consume, the people of Tibet have exceptionally low rates of cancer and diabetes.

Interesting. One factor here is their milk won’t be homogenised

Edited by Zombie
  • Wow 4

The 1931 movie Dracula starring Bela Lugosi is not based on Bram Stoker's novel of the same name. Look here at this humorous article for the skinny - Dracula!

• Like 2
  • Love 1
  • Wow 1
4 hours ago, Page Scrawler said:

Then we  need yak dairy herds in the US.  

• Haha 4
3 hours ago, Zombie said:

Interesting. One factor here is their milk won’t be homogenised

Very interesting point. 

• Like 4
58 minutes ago, Ron said:

The 1931 movie Dracula starring Bela Lugosi is not based on Bram Stoker's novel of the same name. Look here at this humorous article for the skinny - Dracula!

I found the link pretty darn interesting, but it didn't address one thing I"ve always wondered.  Since I never read the novel, I always wondered if Stoker's Dracular was able to turn into a bat, or if that was a Hollywood creation.  Do any of you know which is the case for certain, based on the novel? 

• Like 3
16 minutes ago, Bill W said:

I always wondered if Stoker's Dracular was able to turn into a bat...

According to a quick internet search Dracula was quite the shape-shifter in Stoker's novel.

• Like 3
  • Love 1
Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, Ron said:

I recalled there was a big court battle over this, involving Universal Studios and copyright claims - this is the legal version… :) 

https://caselaw.findlaw.com/court/ca-court-of-appeal/1849267.html

Edited by Zombie
  • Wow 4
59 minutes ago, Ron said:

According to a quick internet search Dracula was quite the shape-shifter in Stoker's novel.

Ah, thank you.  That makes me look lazy that I did look it up online.  

• Like 3
  • Haha 2