Story rating.

Being a stupid new person and new writer here, I am confused about what should be a very simply story rating system, there are after all only three levels, everyone, teen, and mature.

I don't want to keep bothering Cia on the story review/moderation team, she already gave me the following explication (thank you Cia): Rating is generally considered close to accepted US TV ratings. Teen rating is mild language referring to body parts, making out with clothes on, some violence that is not taking over the whole story, drug use only, sex, etc.... only "off-scene" or fade to black.

I live in Europe and we do not I believe have the same point of view about these standards, and in any event, I have no idea what accepted US TV ratings are? I would appreciate any input, because I rated my story publication mature fearing if it were teen it would be wrong. I first had it as everyone.

To explain a bit more: there are scenes of drinking, perhaps to a little excess, there is a same sex relationship between a sixteen and eighteen year old, but no graphic sex, unless you count touching intimately and deep kissing (with tongues). There is mention of the state of a character as possibly being intoxicated, which could mean by drinking alcohol or taking drugs. 

If this site were European, I am familiar with European TV ratings, a television programme with this content would show at six o'clock in the evening and be suitable for everyone. There would be no age restriction recommendation, those little symbols -10, -12, -16 or -18. A scene with two people of the same sex kissing passionately, or a couple making out (if that term means making love) would be shown with no restrictions. The couple making love would have no nudity and not be explicit, but it would e obvious what they were doing.

My story falls into that European, no restriction, six o'clock, category. How would you rate it for a US readership? 

This is not a debate about ratings, just a request to better understand and choose the appropriate rating for posting.

• Site Administrator

see step 3.

• Audience Rating: Everyone = No sex, explicit violence, excessive swearing; Teen= off-screen sex, or non-explicit touching/making out, violence, swearing;  Mature = Graphic sexual content, violence, other graphic content of any kind on-screen (Note: These ratings can be utilized for violent or graphic content other than sexual, but specific warnings should be included using the story/chapter note areas)

Okay, I was confused by the initial review:

I checked your new story, and there are just a few issues I need you to review and change before it can be approved. First, the story rating of "Everyone" would mean you do not have any graphic content in the story. Everyone = no graphic content, Teen = mild graphic content or off-scene mentions primarily and Mature = graphic content of either violence, drug use, or sexual content. Please change that if you need to do so.

I found a definition of the American colcolloquial expression making out: Making out is a colloquial American term for a sexual activity involving two (or more) people engaging in deep kissing and non-penetrative sexual touching (heavy petting). Making out can include French kissing, kissing each other's necks (necking), grazing erogenous zones, and sucking and licking earlobes.

So, taking that as a good definition I will re-define my rating as teen, there is deep kissing and touching, but no graphic content.

• Like 1

Let’s be real: compared to the absolute raunch on Nifty, our stuff is tame…. Relatively speaking of course. 

We serve up our drugs, sex and rock & roll tastefully and artistically.

Edited by jamessavik
  • Like 1
  • Haha 4