There is a very fine story on Nifty called Orchids in the Sun, about a ménage à trois formed by three young men who run an orchid farm in Hawai'i.  One is Japanese, one native Hawai'ian, and the third is an Anglo from the Midwest.  The author's name, on Nifty at least, is Lavender Quill.

I'd be interested in reading the rest of the story, assuming the author ever finished it and posted the ending anywhere.  I'd also like to read anything else this author wrote.  Judging from this story, the writer could well have been an established, published novelist.

Unfortunately, a search on the author's name on Nifty fails to turn up any other stories, and it appears this story was never posted on GA, nor does Lavender Quill show up as an author here.  If he was ever here, it was under another name.

I'm wondering if any of this rings a bell for anyone.  I'd be most grateful for further information about the author and about this story.  If you haven't read it, by the way, it's well worth tracking it down on Nifty and reading what there is of it.

• Like 1

@BigBen --  A search on Bing shows a Goodreads review of a book by Lavender Quill called "Construction Days," which the review says contains graphic sex between men.  

Another Bing result showed ten stories on FictionPress dot com by Lavender Quill -- but it may not be the same "Lavender Quill."  On FictionPress, Lavender Quill was formerly listed as Admiral Realson and Regina Realson and Captain Culmer.  The Lavender Quill on FictionPress lives in Thailand, the profile shows.

Using Nifty's quirky search engine shows five stories on Nifty from the same email address, lavenderquill@yahoo.com -- titled  A-- Orchids in the Sun --  B -- Eyes of Benjamin Squires, under Gay/College, from May of 2003; C -- Construction Days, from October of 2003, under Gay/Beginnings; D -- Thief in the Night, under Gay/SF-Fantasy; and E -- "Counseling in Canada," under Gay/Beginnings.  Another email from the same person is -- imawriter00@yahoo.ca  but I don't find any other Nifty stories under that address, except "Counseling in Canada."

@BigBen -- Hope this helps.

Edited by ReaderPaul
  • Like 3
On 5/11/2022 at 1:35 PM, ReaderPaul said:

@BigBen --  A search on Bing shows a Goodreads review of a book by Lavender Quill called "Construction Days," which the review says contains graphic sex between men.  

Another Bing result showed ten stories on FictionPress dot com by Lavender Quill -- but it may not be the same "Lavender Quill."  On FictionPress, Lavender Quill was formerly listed as Admiral Realson and Regina Realson and Captain Culmer.  The Lavender Quill on FictionPress lives in Thailand, the profile shows.

Using Nifty's quirky search engine shows five stories on Nifty from the same email address, lavenderquill@yahoo.com -- titled  A-- Orchids in the Sun --  B -- Eyes of Benjamin Squires, under Gay/College, from May of 2003; C -- Construction Days, from October of 2003, under Gay/Beginnings; D -- Thief in the Night, under Gay/SF-Fantasy; and E -- "Counseling in Canada," under Gay/Beginnings.  Another email from the same person is -- imawriter00@yahoo.ca  but I don't find any other Nifty stories under that address, except "Counseling in Canada."

@BigBen -- Hope this helps.

It does, thanks. 

As I think about it, I suspect the reason my Nifty search was unsuccessful was probably that I searched for Lavender Quill as two words, not one.  The only things that search returned were the original story and a reference to it by someone else.  And Duckduckgo only returns references to Lavender Quill Press, a defunct publishing collective.

• Like 1

I may be wrong, but Counseling in Canada appears to be by someone else.  And interestingly, I've read Thief in the Night and The Eyes of Benjamin Squires (another story I'd love to read the ending to), but never registered that they were by the same author as Orchids in the Sun.  Go figure!  Construction Days is off to a great start; I look forward to seeing what happens.  There are a lot of chapters, so I'm hoping for a complete story. 🤞🤞🤞

• Like 1

@BigBen -- you are right.  After the last chapter of Counseling in Canada, the author recommends "Orchids in the Sun" and "Construction Days" as further good reading.

• Like 1