Heart of the Tree by Graeme

The brilliant author, Graeme, over at Deweywriter, who's previous stories include New Brother and Falls Creek Lessons, has a new story called Heart of the Tree.

Graeme's stories are always original and have this uniqueness about them, that when you're reading you know your're reading something special. Heart of the Tree is no exception and so far appears to be his best and most evocative. Graeme has created such a vivid and immersing portrayal of a small town in NSW, Australia and it doesn't feel like any other Online Gay Fiction that I have read.

After only three chapters I am caught up in the mystery along with Mia and Aunt Cynthia and will wait anxiously as they try and find the Heart of the Tree.

Highly recommended.

Get the chapters at Deweywriter.

Edited by acassimaty
  • Replies 120
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...
  • Site Administrator

Thanks, guys! I didn't even realise this thread was here....

Part one of the story (chapter 1-9) is complete.

Part two will be chapters 10-16, with the intention to have all of that posted by Christmas.

Part three will start sometime in the New Year, though there will probably be a bit of a gap between the end of part two and the start of part three.

Cheers!

Graeme :D

• 3 months later...

I'm loving this story!

I liked the realism, such as the mention of the Kokoda trail (a lot of Australians died defending it, and Australia along with it, in WWII) I also laughed like crazy at the Chinese guy with a Mexican restaurant. A restaurant in a nearby town is a Mexican Restaurant that has a German Night three days a week. The owner/cook is Chinese, and learned to cook in China. LoL.

Commenting as I go here: Bobby, in Chapter 3 has me wondering.. What about his parent's relationship? And what about him?

If I had working gaydar, I suspect it might be pinging right about now.

Good attention to detail on the farming and cattle: I love real details in a story. :2thumbs:

I very much liked Cynthia's "conversation" with Andrew. Also, the description of the photo as Sepia really gave vivid detail for me.

Very realistic touch with the calf being injured.

Rhys amazes me. I like him a lot. But I absolutely loved the last line in Ch 8, surely the most unique "outing" I've ever read!! :2thumbs:

I've just finished part one, and need to take a break before part II. This is one heck of a good story! I highly recommend it!

• 1 month later...

Graeme,

I'm not usually the type of reader to badger an author about when the next chapter of their story will hit the intra-web, but the wait for Part 3 of this wonderful story is absolutely killing me.

Any idea as to when the next chapter will be out? I think I'll be happy with even a rough ball park figure here - anything to stop me from feverishly waiting for every Sunday morning for Awesomedude to be updated.

I'll be eternally yours... :)

Alex

• Site Administrator

Sorry, Alex....

I had timed part two perfectly, with not only the last chapter being posted in time for Christmas, but my editor got that chapter back to me just in time to keep to the two-weekly posting cycle. At that point I had to make a decision -- pause while I build up another reserve of edited chapters, or go to an ad-hoc posting cycle. I decided to go with the former so that when I do start posting again, it will come out regularly.

The major delay has been real-life -- outside factors that have delayed getting things ready. I don't want to set a date, but I think it will be the end of April before I start posting. It might be sooner than that, but I don't want to promise. That is a lot later than I had originally intended, but as I said, real-life has interfered with what I wanted to do.

You're not the only one who has been a bit frustrated -- I am, too!

• 1 month later...
  • Site Moderator
Of course, there was one thing that struck me as decidedly odd; they were listening to cricket. And what sane person would do such a thing, let alone be able to comprehend it? whistle.gif

If you think about it CJ, Bobby and Shane were in the car at that time so it would stand to reason, they would listen to it on the radio. 0:)

Jan

• Site Administrator
Of course, there was one thing that struck me as decidedly odd; they were listening to cricket. And what sane person would do such a thing, let alone be able to comprehend it? :whistle:

Aren't you making a rash assumption? Where did you ever get the idea that Australian's are sane? :ranger:

• 2 weeks later...

Graeme:

I just want to add my voice to the many others who are lauding this story. I have really enjoyed Heart of the Tree. I'm sure I wasn't alone when I was sitting at the edge of my seat biting my nails to find out if Matt was going to agree to see Vince. Suspense - aarrggghhh!

I lived in Australia for 4 years when I was younger. It is a beautiful country full of very nice and unassuming people. In other words - paradise. Nothing stands out in my memory quite like Sydney Harbor on a beautiful summer day.

Thank you for your great story. I truly enjoy your writing. I look forward to more chapters!

My best,

Centaur

• Site Administrator

Thanks, Centaur,

I've been enjoying writing this story. It's a lot more complex than my other ones and it's been a real challenge at times. I hope you continue to like it with part three. There will be a part four and I'm keeping my fingers crossed that that will end the story. However, it was originally intended to be only a two part story... then a three part story... and now it's up to four parts....

I've been enjoying writing this story. It's a lot more complex than my other ones and it's been a real challenge at times. I hope you continue to like it with part three. There will be a part four and I'm keeping my fingers crossed that that will end the story. However, it was originally intended to be only a two part story... then a three part story... and now it's up to four parts....

Speaking as a reader, I'm DELIGHTED that the story has grown, as it is really excellent!

Here's hoping for a five and six, as well. :)

• Site Administrator
Here's hoping for a five and six, as well. :)

No, no, no, and NO! :angry:

I have another novel that I'm dying to start writing, but I've learnt I can't write more than one novel at a time. That means I have to finish Heart of The Tree before I can move onto the next one.

For the record, I've just finished writing chapter 27 and I still a number to go before the story is completed.

No, no, no, and NO! :angry:

Hmmmm, why do i feel that you don't like that idea? :lol:

Well, you could always make part four 50 chapters? 0:)

I have another novel that I'm dying to start writing, but I've learnt I can't write more than one novel at a time. That means I have to finish Heart of The Tree before I can move onto the next one.

For the record, I've just finished writing chapter 27 and I still a number to go before the story is completed.

I can't wait to see what you new one turns out to be! :2thumbs:

• 2 weeks later...

Chapter 19 is out guys. Find it here.

I'm really liking the dynamic between Bobby and Jamie, though I agree with Jamie that Bobby's being a bit nuts where his parents are concerned. Frankly I'm a bit mystified by all that Bobby's doing. I know they've already addressed this, but Jamie stands to get hurt if Bobby doesn't put an end to this whole charade. I still can't shake the fact that Bobby is using Jamie, no matter what Jamie is getting out of the whole scenario.

Last scene was beautiful. :wub: Such the romantic, Graeme! :)

• Site Administrator

Thanks! Despite some of my darker short stories, I'm a romantic at heart and I'm not afraid to admit it.

Bobby's desperate and desperate people sometimes do strange things. I won't say anything more than that.....

Bobby's desperate and desperate people sometimes do strange things. I won't say anything more than that.....

I think it's great that he's trying to save a marriage. :2thumbs:

One of my favorite things about Bobby is his car; driving an old clunker just fits so well. I love it. Bobby's fast becoming one of my favorite characters.

Loved the latest chapter, but I suspect that there is trouble afoot. :2thumbs:

• 3 weeks later...

Couple of days late, but still:

Chapter 20 is out now. :)

What a dark turn this chapter took. It seems Mia is OK and even though she seems like a strong girl, I'm hoping she'll get through this.

I was a bit confused at the ending cause I couldn't remember who Alex was or if we'd even met him before. Turns out you've only mentioned him once before and that was in the first chapter. Nonetheless another fine chapter Graeme :)

• Site Administrator

Umm... I'm sure I mentioned him in chapter 19 as well. He got awfully flustered when Bobby casually let it slip that Jamie's gay.... 0:)