[Myr] What is your favorite type of character?

I like characters who are intelligent and resourceful. They don't necessarily set out to be heroic, but find the strength necessary to deal with what life gives them when they need it. There's nothing wrong with them being a little vulnerable, but they need to be able to cope with life, and find reserves of strength when they need them.

My all time favourite fictional characters:

Billy Straight in Billy Straight by Jonathan Kellerman

Fitz in the Farseer Trilogy and Tawny Man Trilogy by Robin Hobb

Polijn & Nimnestl in Rouse a Sleeping Cat by Dan Crawford

Harry Potter in the Harry Potter Series by JK Rowling

Alex Delaware in many books by Jonathan Kellerman

Darin in Children of the Blood by Michelle Sagara

Menolly in Dragonsinger and Dragonsong by Anne McCaffrey

Peter Redinger & Tirla in Pegasus in Flight by Anne McCaffrey

Tobias in the Animorphs Series by K.A. Applegate

Now that I look at the list I've made (3 homeless people, 2 orphans, a prostitute, a slave, a quadrapalegic, a bastard child, and a boy trapped in the body of a bird), I guess the best way to look at it is underdogs (only Nimnestl & Alex Delaware don't fit the pattern). I guess I like people who make their life better despite what's given to them.

B_O_B

• Site Administrator

I'm a sucker for Boys and magic in a story. I tend to like the boy that suddenly finds he has powers he didn't know about. Like Harry Potter. Like a lot of the Valdemar books by Mercedes Lackey.

I like it when they develop powers. Justin in Gone From Daylight by Comicality for example.

I also tend to like the poor boy rich boy interactions and the conflicts that arise due to different classes.

I also tend to like the poor boy rich boy interactions and the conflicts that arise due to different classes.

There was a story by Twisted Dreemz called "Escape to Neverland" about two boys from different backgrounds, but he seems to have stopped writing it after only one chapter :(

It's too bad. I thought his dreamstreet work was excellent.

B_O_B

• Site Administrator

The most common reason for writers to not continue their work is lack of feedback and response.

I know people are reading the story archive for example. About 30,000 hits as a matter of fact. Compared to about 175 ratings or so... I know I look over comments there. Emails... I get tons demanding the next chapter of HP and the PoD... which is being worked on ever so slowly.

I like underdogs too, to an extent, or at least characters who have some difficult challenge to overcome (for instance, if they were born rich, I like it when they are put in a situation where that becomes a disadvantage rather than an advantage).

I also love teens with magic and/or supernatural powers in general, with the exception of Telepathy. This is mostly because I was traumatized from reading WAY too many short stories where the only time Telepathy is used is to 1.) talk dirty without being heard, or 2.) to have shared-stimulation-psychic-sex. Generally, if it's done well, I don't mind Telepathy, it's just that I've seen it misused too many times to be especially enticed by it. Gone From Daylight is one series that definitely uses the powers angle to its maximum effectiveness, IMO; if it wasn't for school, I'd have read all of it by now. @_@

As far as specific character types, I've always had a soft spot in my heart for nerdy or geeky characters, much more so than anti-heroes, gothic teens, or square-jaw heroes. Also, the more physically vulnerable, the better (when it comes to powers-based stories, especially). It's not as suspenseful to me if the hero can take his nemesis on even ground as opposed to the hero being at a disadvantage against the conflict at hand (for example, Harry Potter vs. Voldemort or any human vs. Nature). Intelligence, cleverness, and the ability to overcome seemingly impossible obstacles realistically are all my favorite traits.

Hmmm for me I guess it would have to be a romantic boy. Someone who loves,a dn wants to be loved in return. Myabe someone who also wants someone to protect him. Not to control him but be in equal partner and help to protect him.

Pryo :-)

• Site Administrator

I most certainly prefer equal partnerships between loving characters. I can say with certainy that all the pairings I create are equal partnerships... even if they don't look that way. :devil:

vulnerable, most definitly. I dunno, but I will share a little with you from my .hack quest... I will have to tell you a little about that some time ;)

shinji.gif

I guess this would also be a good time to share a link

http://guru.theotaku.com/bfriend/bfriend.shtml

really, one simple search on google can turn into a three day adventer, you never know what you might find!

with all that rambleing did I answer the question?

• 2 weeks later...
Guest GenesisBoi21

So many comments, and I just felt the need to add my own two cents.

I like a romantic involvement, all admit, more than a purely sexual one.

I DEFINITELY agree with the telepathy thing and about its overuse.

I'm so sorry, but I'm just a pushover for Draco, but I really do like that "didn't know I had that ability" type of thing, and then when it comes out as a total shock, that's awesome...though I have to admit having some time contemplating characters who aren't original to the HP series.

Other than that, I think heroics are good, as long as they don't come off as forced or 'intentional' on the part of the character.

That's mine,

Gen

• 4 weeks later...
Guest souldreamer

i really love most types of boys. :)

although i can get pretty turned off (not sexually) by situations that occur so often in stories that i don't even have to read the next couple of paragraphs (or more) to know what they mean.

my favourite subjects: fantasy::magic and modern/futuristic::mental powers (not mind powers. mind powers only affect the other people's minds, whereas mental powers are powers controlled by the brain, but controlling everything - a good example: the mists-of-fate series over on nifty/sf-fantasy). though they are both so interconnected, they're almost the same subject. i like the hero to find out about his powers, to be increasingly good at using them, but be enormously fraile emotionally, until he finds his other half...

@Forloyn: :worship:

okay, i'm officially scared. (although i read tarot cards and the likes :lol: ). that anime boyfriend thingie is true! :D ). i got Mamoru (whom i fell in love the first time i saw him oh-so-many years ago... and the rose is my favourite flower, too.) and the description was dead on...

mamoru.gif