Okay... The jig is up...

Okay... I'm one person. I'm looking for help here. My intention is to write four separate stories the blend and culminate in 'Midnight's Rainbow'

The Druid...

The Lycan...

The Fey...

And finally... Midnight's Rainbow.

As it will come soon.. Slegna tears make Fey, Slegna seed makes Lycans, Slegna blood, makes vampires.

This is what I have been working on lately.

I could probaby do this alone, but I don't think it would be nearly as good without a collaborative effort. You each have your specialties and you are damn good at it.

Are we allowed to do something like this?

I guess a better question would be... are any of you interested in hopping on this train? I want the stories to be separate until they merge at the end.

• Site Administrator

I've never tried a real collaboration effort, but I can see a lot of potential complications.

I was involved in the "Collision" round robin and trying to ensure consistency between authors was a major task. It can be done, but you need to have someone who co-ordinates everything. You also need to have some way to resolve conflicts.

I think what you are proposing would be easier, as the only overlap is at the end, but to do that I would advise having a draft of the ending written up front so all the authors would know what they are writing towards.

I'm also not sure how you'd post (or to use C James's preference, publish) this. The best way, to me, would be to have chapters alternating between the four stories, but that would be complicated for the readers AND you would have to make sure all of the authors published at a consistent rate.

It's an interesting project, and I wish you all the best. Unfortunately I can't commit to it because of other things on my plate, and you'll need that commitment if it's going to work.

Good luck!

Graeme :D

I've never tried a real collaboration effort, but I can see a lot of potential complications.

I was involved in the "Collision" round robin and trying to ensure consistency between authors was a major task. It can be done, but you need to have someone who co-ordinates everything. You also need to have some way to resolve conflicts.

I think what you are proposing would be easier, as the only overlap is at the end, but to do that I would advise having a draft of the ending written up front so all the authors would know what they are writing towards.

I'm also not sure how you'd post (or to use C James's preference, publish) this. The best way, to me, would be to have chapters alternating between the four stories, but that would be complicated for the readers AND you would have to make sure all of the authors published at a consistent rate.

It's an interesting project, and I wish you all the best. Unfortunately I can't commit to it because of other things on my plate, and you'll need that commitment if it's going to work.

Good luck!

Graeme :D

Well... the whole point would be that it is 4 separate stories, but I certainly see where you're going with the continuity issues. The ending would have to be written first.

Straub and King managed to create 'The Talisman'. I just thought it would be interesting to try something similar here. It's no biggie really. I can continue on my own... it'll just take longer.

lol I guess I should get busy... I've a lot of words to write.

Take care!

Okay... I'm one person. I'm looking for help here.

I guess a better question would be... are any of you interested in hopping on this train? I want the stories to be separate until they merge at the end.

Hey DS,

Collaboration is something that, I think, is decided at the beginning. My advice is to merge and conclude three of the four stories into one. This can be done with characters, locale or events that collide with each other. The tricky part is to have continuity between the four stories so that the reader isn't confused.

It's hard to give up the ownership of a story. Go with it to the end and don't paint yourself into a corner.

Jack B)

Okay... I'm one person. I'm looking for help here. My intention is to write four separate stories the blend and culminate in 'Midnight's Rainbow'

The Druid...

The Lycan...

The Fey...

And finally... Midnight's Rainbow.

As it will come soon.. Slegna tears make Fey, Slegna seed makes Lycans, Slegna blood, makes vampires.

This is what I have been working on lately.

I could probaby do this alone, but I don't think it would be nearly as good without a collaborative effort. You each have your specialties and you are damn good at it.

Are we allowed to do something like this?

As far as "allowed", teaming up to do a colaborative effort is up to the writers.

It sounds to me like you have given this a lot of thoguht regarding the plots and outlines. :2thumbs:

I think I'd be quite unsuited for it, as fantasy realm stories just aren't my thing as a writer (and usually not as a reader). I know basically what a Druid is (though my definition would be more historical) thoguh I have no clue what a "Fey" is and I've never heard the term "Lycan" before.

I'm really looking foward to seeing where this goes! :2thumbs:

As far as "allowed", teaming up to do a colaborative effort is up to the writers.

It sounds to me like you have given this a lot of thoguht regarding the plots and outlines. :2thumbs:

I think I'd be quite unsuited for it, as fantasy realm stories just aren't my thing as a writer (and usually not as a reader). I know basically what a Druid is (though my definition would be more historical) thoguh I have no clue what a "Fey" is and I've never heard the term "Lycan" before.

I have no idea what a fey is either, I always wondered what the title of Lugh's forum meant. A lycan is a werewolf, I believe. But I only know that from Underworld. I think the term, or its longer version "lycanthrope" was featured in an entry to the fall anthology by a certain RHawes16.

Hey DS,

Collaboration is something that, I think, is decided at the beginning. My advice is to merge and conclude three of the four stories into one. This can be done with characters, locale or events that collide with each other. The tricky part is to have continuity between the four stories so that the reader isn't confused.

It's hard to give up the ownership of a story. Go with it to the end and don't paint yourself into a corner.

Jack B)

They are very different stories with a common ending ;) I think too different to combine. The story would be massive and hard to follow. Consider it like, Interview with a Vampire, The Vampire Lestat, and Queen of the Damned ;)

I have no idea what a fey is either, I always wondered what the title of Lugh's forum meant. A lycan is a werewolf, I believe. But I only know that from Underworld. I think the term, or its longer version "lycanthrope" was featured in an entry to the fall anthology by a certain RHawes16.

Fey... Fairy folk!

Well... it'll be a challenge ;) Each story should be able to stand on it's own, and only the ending be in one.

If someone would like to take up 'The Lycan' or 'The Fey' well... give me a yell! There are only a couple of things that have to 'meet' in the stories. Otherwise the intention is to keep them completely separate. I've tried to keep the characters of 'the druid' and 'midnight's rainbow' very separate. Thus the reason for asking if anyone else out there is interested in helping out. I don't know if I am creative enough to keep these unique from each other. It's been a stretch for me in MR.

Anyway... it's just a peak into my twisted little mind lol

Take care!

----- edit -----

Okay, I'm going to try to expand on this a little in hopes of gleening a little more interest.

There are essentially 4 stories here.

The Fey, The Lycan, The Druid, and finally Midnight's Rainbow. They can be anything! However, they end at the same battlefield (before) the fight begins. Midnight's rainbow... well it a separate story just like the others, but also includes the ending for all 4.

The Druid... well that would be the small point of cross over. Ty and Brian(Bry) meet with each group at some point to build the 'army' to fight against the forces behind the veil. I've already established this in the story.

The other point... well.. was to duplicate The Fey, The Lycan, and The Druid on other servers and lead them back to GA for the final book so to speak. As I've said... MR will only be posted here!

This is why other than the meetings with Ty & Bry, and the final setting, there would be next to NO collaboration needed ;) Though... hopefully at that point... everyone would want to chip in and build the final 2 or 3 chapters of MR!

I can do this alone and have already started, but I suspect it would be SO much better with help! It would go a lot quicker with help as well. Anyway, I thought I'd give you a little more insight into what I'm doing here without giving any spoilers.

Any takers?

Well... I've started 'The Lycan'. 'The Fey', well... I suppose I can only hope that inspiration will strike. I'm an impatient being and when the words hit me, I have to get them down in print.

This project is bigger than I had hoped. Being it has turned into a one man show. That kinda sucks... but I'll manage I guess. It won't be as good as it could have been, but I'm going to give it one hell of a try.

Talon House has agreed to host 'The Lycan'.

CRV is currently hosting 'The Druid'.

Midnight's Rainbow... well... that will only be here. As I have always said... it will either be my curse or blessing to GA.

'The Fey' .... well it doesn't exist yet (uhhh Lugh...... heheh care to give me a hand?) Nothing like being put on the spot 'eh? I do understand if you're too busy. I just think you could do it better than I could.

Well... the wheels are in motion. Hold tight folks ;) It's going to be a bumpy ride!

Well... I've started 'The Lycan'. 'The Fey', well... I suppose I can only hope that inspiration will strike. I'm an impatient being and when the words hit me, I have to get them down in print.

This does sound like an intreguing and very original project!! :2thumbs:

I hope the Muse strikes, and everything comes together for you!

Nick, I have no idea why you would say that? 0:)

The story came togeter, and the Muse was happy (and well fed). 0:)

LOL you keep your muse away from me goat! That thing is spooky! My muse is melody.. yours... well.. heheh a Rabid Choobaka(the furry thing from StarWars) on crack.

heh... well my muse is an ever-dead brain-sucking zombie!

As for being put on the spot... hows about this... you write it. I have faith that you will do it more than justice because it's your baby and the ideas are in your head, you just have to get them out. Take some advice and write no less than 1000 words a day (on the average) and you will end up with at least two of the novels done by the end of the year and possibly a third. Trust me when I say this works. I wrote four in one year, and I know other authors who have written 2-4 novels in a year just by putting away 1kaday.

Lugh

heh... well my muse is an ever-dead brain-sucking zombie!

As for being put on the spot... hows about this... you write it. I have faith that you will do it more than justice because it's your baby and the ideas are in your head, you just have to get them out.

Anyone got a spare crow-bar and a ball peen hammer?

Take some advice and write no less than 1000 words a day (on the average) and you will end up with at least two of the novels done by the end of the year and possibly a third. Trust me when I say this works. I wrote four in one year, and I know other authors who have written 2-4 novels in a year just by putting away 1kaday.

Lugh

Thanks much for the advice Lugh! I am pretty much taking today as a mental health day and doing a little reading. I will probably watch this third movie I rented and stretch out for a little while. Then get back to work and do some writing. The Druid is giving me dirty looks from the hard drive. LOL Sitting cross legged on the floor for 8 or 10 hours tends to put my body a little out of wack. (thank the gods for morning Yoga!) One of these days... I'm going to have to invest in a computer desk and chair!

One of these days... I'm going to have to invest in a computer desk and chair!

A stack of bricks and a sheet of wood is equally good, and generally free if you can find a builders skip. Also works for shelves - which you'll need, considering your written output is presently as large as a small south American country. :P

I'd like a signed, first edition 'The Druid', please.

Camy B)

As for being put on the spot... hows about this... you write it. I have faith that you will do it more than justice because it's your baby and the ideas are in your head, you just have to get them out.

This thread prompted me to read the first six chapters of The Druid. Wow, a terrific effort. But, as Lugh said, it's your baby. I've never read a fantasy or sci-fi story of this nature before (I know...sheltered and protected from the unknown) and can appreciate that the imagination/originality has to originate from one source.

Good luck with the stories. My suggestion is to finish one story at a time...and I hope it's The Druid. 0:) Selfishness aside, I say this cuz most readers need the continuity and timeliness of a story. Any delay beyond two weeks between chapters risks losing their interest.

Jack B)

A stack of bricks and a sheet of wood is equally good, and generally free if you can find a builders skip. Also works for shelves - which you'll need, considering your written output is presently as large as a small south American country. :P

I'd like a signed, first edition 'The Druid', please.

Camy B)

LOL! How about some loose leaf notebook paper and a crayon picture instead? I doubt this story will ever be print grade, but here's hoping it's not too painful and hopefully a pleasant read from beginning to finish.

This thread prompted me to read the first six chapters of The Druid. Wow, a terrific effort. But, as Lugh said, it's your baby. I've never read a fantasy or sci-fi story of this nature before (I know...sheltered and protected from the unknown) and can appreciate that the imagination/originality has to originate from one source.

Good luck with the stories. My suggestion is to finish one story at a time...and I hope it's The Druid. 0:) Selfishness aside, I say this cuz most readers need the continuity and timeliness of a story. Any delay beyond two weeks between chapters risks losing their interest.

Jack B)

I have to agree. Any more than 2 weeks is too long for me to wait. By that time I will have fogotten I was reading it. I want everything NOW! (or sooner) I'll see what happens. If it poses a problem, then something (or a few things) will have to be put on hold. Right now I'm trying to dedicate at least a week to each story.

It doesn't usually take more than 5 days to squeeze out a chapter, but we'll see. My chapters never seem to be much more than 10 pages long, but I suspect that will change in the future as well. Writing seems to be taking longer and longer as I progress, and try harder to do it the 'right' way.

I have no doubt in my mind, that I'm going to have to learn every lesson the hard way. I am stubborn and thick skulled. It's just the way it is. (heh I know how I am)

Thanks a lot for writing and reading. It's always great to have criticism and feedback from prolific readers and authors. It motivates me to write that much more. I only wish I would have started when I was a lot younger. Maybe I'd remember more of these damn grammar rules! LOL

Thanks again and take care!

Shannon