They killed Starbuck!

JamesSavik

:thumbdown:

Just when I was getting used to the bizarre morphing of happy-go-lucky Dirk Benedict Starbuck into the angsty Katee SackhoffStarbuck, they killed her. :,(

I can't believe it. I'm in a state of shock. Starbuck wasn't supposed to die.

• Site Administrator

Don't forget that they killed the Dirk Benedict Starbuck as well... and brought him back to life. Now I will admit that that was one of the weirder episodes of the original show, but maybe they have similar plans in the new version?

I thought you meant I wasn't going to be getting my Cinnamon Mocha Latte Grande anymore. :o

*phew* Started to panic there for a minute. :P

Your right Kitty!

If it wasn't for my fix, Venta Raspberry Mocha I'd be lost.

You guy's mean that TV thing? I don't watch very much TV.

"400 channels of crap is a lot of crap." :lmao:

I'm Coming :devil:

We must kill Coming Undone. He dared profane the holiest of holies, Battlestar Galactica. Oh, and James, seeing as how we saw this thread before we saw the episode, you're on my and Trebs's crap list. Better be careful....

As for this episode. I just loved the ending, and I'm hoping, I'm praying that in Season 4, if not this season, we will learn the white light at the end for Starbuck means the same thing the white light meant for Apollo in the original series.

We must kill Coming Undone. He dared profane the holiest of holies, Battlestar Galactica. Oh, and James, seeing as how we saw this thread before we saw the episode, you're on my and Trebs's crap list. Better be careful....

Agreed!! lol, jk.

As for this episode. I just loved the ending, and I'm hoping, I'm praying that in Season 4, if not this season, we will learn the white light at the end for Starbuck means the same thing the white light meant for Apollo in the original series.

Sadly I don't know that much about the original series, it was before my time :( Now I'm all curious about what the white light meant, damn!

DK, I posted a prediction several weeks ago at televisionwithoutpity.com, when SciFi started the promotion big guns about "Maelstrom" that the last scene of this season would have Starbuck returning having found the way to Earth.

I still think that is the case. (And wasn't it the TOS Starbuck (Dirk Benedict) that died, and not Apollo (Richard Hatch in TOS)?

Even more so, I have never found it coincidental that Glan A. Larson has a producer credit on the SciFi series (as he was a cocreator of TOS).

Edited by theschnauzers

A few thoughts about BSG from a long time follower...

Battlestar Galactica (TOS) is an artifact of the Cold War- in fact it appeared in the late 70's- at the very height of the Cold War. The idea of a "Nuclear Pearl Harbor", a devastating sneak attack with nuclear weapons, was something that was very much on peoples minds at the time. In fact, the BSG(TOS) was singled out by high profile members of the peace movement as pro-military propaganda and scaremongering.

The original series started strong and the writing seemed to decline a little with every episode. What has been reported in the history of the series was that the studio was low-balling the production- using the same cuts over & over, crappy production quality and so on. <_<

The network and the studio had no idea how to handle Science fiction in general and Battlestar Galactica in particular successfully. They packaged one of the darkest scenarios imaginable, the nuclear annihilation of a race and the struggles of its survivors, as a kiddie show complete with the trilogy of death for a sci-fi series by the sixth episode: a cute kid, a smart dog and a dumb robot. [Once this trilogy has appeared in a sci fi series, it symbolizes doom because the writers have reverted to clich

What?! They killed Kenny?

I mean, Badass.Girl.Starbuck?

Hmm, that takes cajones. Or an onset of the stupids.

OK, I'll admit it. I haven't watched much of the new BSG. I can't seem to get into it. I've liked what I've seen.

The trouble is, I remember the original from when I was a kid. Heck, I knew it was cheesy, but I liked the family/team feel they had, and it was fun, enjoyable scifi, with some occasional real thought to it.

I had major problems with them adding "Six" aka 7of9 meets BSG, and with them changing Starbuck to a woman, because it would mess with the the Starbuck-Apollo friendship. (I really liked Dirk Benedict's Starbuck, btw.)

Yes, Galactica 1980 was really embarrassing.

To the questions in the thread:

Starbuck was "killed" in the original BSG, but saved and brought to a planet/desert-island and had a demigod child with a woman named Circe. (See Greek mythology.)

Apollo and Sheba in the classic BSG, ran across a starship of the "Messengers of Light" (or some such) who were regarded as godlike beings. They effectively had a near-death/out-of-body/other-dimensional experience, where they were given a "vision" about the location of Earth. Then they were returned, unharmed, to the Galactica.

-- If you'd like to watch the old Galactica episodes, they're worth it. They're 1970's scifi TV. At the time, they were big, big budget TV, the best SFX available. (they overspent on real computers and monitors, and had COBOL er, Lords of Kobol, graphics...yeah.)

Anyway, by modern standards, they're still fun. Heck, I have the old movie on DVD.

----- Hmm, so they killed off Starbuck in the new show? Well, they could be setting up for a vision of Earth or a way to get past problems with the Cylons. I've liked recent episodes I've seen. I guess it's growing on me.... Help, I'm being absorbed, assimilated, I... "Resistance is futile. You will be...." OK, wrong show, I know.

...Can I just say, unrelated to anything, I love Farscape? ;) Thank you. Back to BSG shock.

Isnt he the guy who went to jail after he won survivor??

No. Richard Hatch, the actor, is actually Tom Zarek on the new BSG. Believe me- he was a big ole hunk of burning seventies hotness. :wub:

Richard Hatch, the reality show doofus, is, erm, nobody.

• 3 weeks later...
I thought you meant I wasn't going to be getting my Cinnamon Mocha Latte Grande anymore. :o

*phew* Started to panic there for a minute. :P

My thoughts exactly. :lol:

Well, the season pretty much ended with "Hi Lee, it really is me. I've been to Earth and I'm here to show us all the way there..." The last episode of 2007, well I LOVED it. My reaction to finding out that there won't be a new episode until 2008...well it wasn't pretty.

Okay... So I never heard of this show until Lurker talked about it in chat...

Maybe it was Starbuck's time to go... oh well, may whoever this person is rest in space...

Kurt :P

Okay... So I never heard of this show until Lurker talked about it in chat...

Maybe it was Starbuck's time to go... oh well, may whoever this person is rest in space...

Kurt :P

:o I don't watch it, but I heard of it, a long time ago, eh guess you don't watch the scifi channel at all.

I'm putting it out there that I'm a big fan of BSG, even to the point of bucking the trend that the second half of this season was lacklustre. Personally "Dirty Hands" was one of my favourite eps, and not the worst as some people are suggesting (that, to this day is Blackmarket of last season).

I absolutely loved the finale and the return of Starbuck, even though I knew it was coming from the moment she died. Though I didn't foresee that she would know the way to Earth. The trial - excellent. What I also loved was the slow reveal of four of the remaining 5 cylons. How they came together, to that room with the music blaring and the symbolic square on the floor (4 sides, anyone?). Excellent television right there. And that final song - fabulous. A re-imagining of Bob Dylan's All Along the Watchtower, with a lovely Middle-Easter-Indian flavour that suited the BSG universe. OMG I'm babbling. LOL

Anyway, least it's not exactly a complete wait til 2008. We've got the TV/DVD movie about the Pegasus (before it was destroyed), which will mean the return to our screens the excellent Michelle Forbes. Yippee.

Geek. Out. B)

Did anyone by chance catch in which approximite system they were located at? (You know at the end, when the camera zoooms out and then zooms back in on Earth.

Anyways, the only thing i hate is that there wont be any new episodes till 2008. (Which really sucks)

Overall they last episode was good, we got to know who four of the five unkown human-cylons are. Now we can speculate who the fifth on is (I say its a tie between President Roslin and Starbuck)

-Jules

The stroryline called it the Ionian Nebula. Whether that's its actual name, or something the show is just using, I'm not sure.

DK, I posted a prediction several weeks ago at televisionwithoutpity.com, when SciFi started the promotion big guns about "Maelstrom" that the last scene of this season would have Starbuck returning having found the way to Earth.

I still think that is the case.

And at the time I posted that I was unaware of the closing effect to the soundtrack with "All About The Watchtower" that ended up zooming on "our' Earth.

• 1 month later...

Oh my God! I Love BSG! Yay! And I didnt have the patience to read other people replies so Ill say whats probably been said before and say shes coming back for season 4. HOWEVER, my love for this show is the only thing that could ever qualify me as a geek. I swear! :lol: