"Message Board Topic For 4/2"

No matter how good a series may be, or how much you like the characters, there may come a time when they begin to lose a little bit of their luster from chapter to chapter. They may still have a few good surprises here and there, and some really fun scenes thrown in every once in a while...but do we just hang on for nostalgic value? How does an author know that he's taken a story as far as it can go?

Whether you're an author or a reader, how can you tell when a story is suffering from its own longevity or lack of ideas? And when this happens...should the author 'end' it and let it go? Or do something to refresh it and give it new life?

What do you guys think? Let us know!

• Site Administrator

With very few exceptions, a story should have an ending. The exception would be the literary equivalent of a soap opera, where the "story" is really a set of inter-related short term stories with the same characters. Most stories on the internet, and none in the print media, fit that category.

In my opinion, an author should never have to "know that he's taken a story as far as it can go" because that implies that they don't have any idea how to end it.

Otherwise, what could be a great story will eventually either fade into oblivion when the "next chapter" never materialises, or end with a whimper because the author has run out of things to write. Neither of these would do justice to something that the readers have otherwise enjoyed.

I'll admit that working out how to end a story is often my biggest challenge. I've had a few short stories that died because I couldn't end them properly. I also stress about how to end my novels, but I now start thinking of that problem before I start writing -- not when I'm halfway through.

Just my opinion....

I suppose I could give this one a shot. My story has been sitting untouched for quite some time. I'm not sure it's due to a lack of ideas, just a lack of motivation on my part. I do think stories should have an ending. Most books have a beginning, climax, and ending. Why should the Internet be any different? Internet stories have the option to go on forever I suppose, but I tend to think that a finality to one tail would lead to a much better start to a volume two. An author wouldn't have to be so worried about story lines and continuity.

I do think though, if there's still a tale to tell, then keep it going. If the author is writing the story just for the hell of it, he might run the risk of boring readers and losing them. If an author doesn't have anything else to say, then that would be a clue to quit. Think of a good ending, and end it for the stories sake. If there is still an attachment to the characters and the author thinks they still have adventures to go on, start a new story. One of my favorite set of books is by an author called John Sanford. There are about fifteen novels about a detective in Minneapolis catching criminals. Each novel has it's specific tale with a specific bad guy, climax, and finality. Each subsequent story builds off of the experience of the last.

Anyway, that's my answer, if it makes any sense at all. Yes, stories can go on for too long and start to bore readers. No, I don't think that an author ever needs to abandon his characters. Sometimes a new life and direction is all they need. I'll probably add more to this later. Your thoughts?

Hmmmm... I'm not exactly an author but what the hey! I agree with Madbomber on this one, how ever it could be tricky throwing characters into a new direction. Doing this changes the characters, and than the readers; (who usually fall in love with the characters) end up loosing interest anyway. I'm guessing, if a series is loosing steam, and you can't flow with it anymore, give it an ending that will keep readers at bay. Than if some great idea pops out down the road than bring it back.

Even television shows have seasons and down time. Especially Heroes!!!! Got to wait till the 23rd for the next one grrrrrr! Anywho. Possibly try like a series finally go out with a bang, but leave some room for a possible come back. That way things don't become stressing and awkward(is that how you spell it? AW-KwaRD, hmm doesn't look right) Oh well that's all I could think of for now. So TTFN!!!

-TurtleBoy-

(See this is the side where my name belongs hehe lol)

• 3 weeks later...

I know that I definitely get attached to my stories and characters very easily. So it's always hard for me to think about ending their stories and not writing for those characters anymore. It sucks to say goodbye to some of them.

But if I was literally out of ideas, and didn't have anywhere else to go with the series or any future plans or storylines ready...then I would want to bring the series to an end. Not abruptly without resolving what had to be resolved, but I'd definitely leave off while I was ahead and let folks know that 'this story has been told'. There are some one time stories on my site that I won't make anymore sequels for, simply because I did exactly what I set out to do with it and didn't want to stretch it out if I didn't have to. So, instead of trying to 'fix' it, I think an author should let it go and start all over again with a completely different story if they want to keep writing. Lightning can definitely strike twice.

I usually plan my own stories out from beginning to end before I write these days, and then wing all of the extra stuff in the middle. Most of the ongoing stories I have on my site already have their endings set in stone. I already know how they're going to ultimately turn out, and most of those details for the end of the story were already introduced in the beginning of the story. So my iggest problem is usually 'getting to the end' as more and more ideas pop up in between. (Hehehe, originally...."Gone From Daylight" was only going to be 4 to 6 chapters long, tops! Oops...)

Important Information

Our Privacy Policy can be found here: Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue..