Jump to content
Bot Attack ×

Headstall

Signature Author
  • Posts

    52,285
  • Joined

  • Last visited

Everything posted by Headstall

  1. Headstall

    Chapter 6 Eager

    I just got it, and love irony. Your 'quantity' observation is a very good point. I hadn't considered that, but I definitely see the merits. If you were lucky enough to find a willing eggplant holder, I expect the tendency would be to take advantage of repeated encounters and some other sharings. Still, convenience would never have been enough for me, and I expect it wouldn't be others as well. So... Reid, as an example, could not be looking for an actual relationship, but might still want to hang onto something that gives him pleasure. MEN!! *sigh* Gurl, can we talk? Now I am wondering if same-sex couples came together and stayed together not for love, but for the convenience in a very hard world to navigate. Nah! My romantic side won't let me think that. I have to believe love finds a way, just like life. No, your last point isn't wrong at all, no matter the time period... and I have the scars to prove it.
  2. Headstall

    Chapter 6 Eager

    All good questions, my friend. We did see limited interaction between Reid and Lucas, but maybe what we did see was tied to being protective of his friend. It is a fair bet they had some kind of words, though, from what Juabl saw through the window and Lucas's reaction after. Maybe he was warning Lucas about the danger of strangers... or we can even speculate that maybe he was jealous of this new guy staying with Lucas. Either way, people are different. Maybe Reid doesn't like or understand farming, and didn't realize what his friend has been going through? Men are good at pretending everything is fine to others when it is not. Maybe Reid wasn't ready for farming... maybe he is focused on being a sheriff... it could be many things... and have nothing to do with 'fishing'. Another good question is whether Lucas is pushing Reid away for some reason... closing his ear to him as you say... but we need more information, don't we? I am curious as to why you don't think Reid is not a slam bam kind of guy? I expect many men--cowboys--were during those times. I will agree he doesn't seem the type to enjoy conquering someone... if that was the case and they did have a 'fishing' history, it would mean he'd already succeeded. Most importantly, I am glad you seem intrigued by their dynamic... and just maybe there is a different contrast as you mentioned. Maybe Jubal is showing he is a better friend in that he supports and understands Lucas's dreams. That is powerful, for someone who feels alone and lonely... we all need validation we are on the right track. I will tell you this... Reid is another one of those characters who fascinates me. Thanks for making me think, sweet lady. You touched on some good stuff. G.
  3. Headstall

    Chapter 6 Eager

    Oh, mine too. It is such an honest style, noy at all fussy like Victorian architecture. I almost like Mid Century Modern, but sometimes it can feel a little too austere compared to Craftsman. I love the clean lines and the sensibility of it though.
  4. Headstall

    Chapter 6 Eager

    Excellent point about Lucas's fears regarding building. I believe that first cabin is something he feels shame for, despite his joking over it. It is nothing to be ashamed of, but he is, and I am sure Jubal sees that. He says he doesn't know why he wants Lucas to have the best house he can, but he does... and that shows that while Jubal might not have faith in his own perceptions of men, he is indeed intuitive. Both men sell themselves short. Lucas sees a garden with the rows too close and weeds taking over, and Jubal sees a success, and tells the man so. It's exactly what Lucas needs, and so is this new enthusiasm over the new cabin and its roof. These guys are indeed good for one another. That openness from Lucas you talk about is definitely something Jubal needs to see. I'm glad you liked their early morning conversation. They are finding out about each other... and while it might seem Lucas is flirting, we can't be sure that just isn't the way he is. Jubal certainly wouldn't think of it as flirting, even if he might wonder... and hope. Vincent is a good memory for Jubal... and it is clear the man never led him on. He holds nothing against him and wishes him well. That is the sweetest kind of love, and he was lucky to have that as his first... because he's never found it since. With regards to houses, a lot of what I know is from studying design books and magazines and having hands on experience. I have pretty much been building or renovating most of my adult life, and I have that same passion for it that Jubal does. It really does make a man feel worthy when life becomes this overwhelming puzzle and he's worried about making mistakes or letting people down. It's invigorating as a writer to hear my descriptions of something some might find tedious, can make you relate through your own memories. I love that, and it makes the almost compulsive working and reworking worth the effort. Cheers, my friend, and thank you!
  5. I see you as a pink flag... with lace trim.
  6. The only cure is to throw him into the fiery pits of Mordor.
  7. Headstall

    Chapter 2 Stench

    That's good to hear, my friend. I hope Bearpaw will stand on its own, but there is a definite tie to Larkspur. As far as Lucas having feelings for some guy... We have a long way to go, and lots to find out. I sure hope you stick to the end, and I appreciate you taking some time to let me know your thoughts. Cheers!
  8. Headstall

    Chapter 6 Eager

    Hey, Doha! Upon getting this, I just reread the chapter, and I now feel some pride in how the building description turned out. It was the dialogue between them that made it work, I think, and yeah, there is something tantalizing in the air... I like that you felt that. I also like what you said about being safe... that is something Jubal desperately needs. I think he feels it from Lucas, but he has his own issues with himself to deal with. There is no reason a home can't be beautiful... even on the frontiers. Glad you are able to picture it. Lucas has worked hard, and like Jubal says, he deserves one to be proud of. Thanks so much for sharing your thoughts, my friend... it is appreciated. Cheers! Gary.
  9. Trying to switch eye doctors and it's impossible. If you see one ophthalmologist then another won't accept a referral for you, even after just one visit. I'm not giving up. The one I was referred to has bad reviews while the other has hundreds of great ones. Sucks!
  10. Yeah, and I know I need it done, but I can't find anything online about the doctor. I want someone who is highly regarded and experienced. I'm calling my personal eye doctor tomorrow and ask him why he recommended her... he didn't know I had cataracts when I saw him a couple of months ago--he just said my cornea(?) angle was a concern... and I will ask him who is the best doctor to go to for cataract surgery. I know it's a relatively safe operation, but there can be issues after, and I don't want those.
  11. I need cataract surgery in both eyes. Damn!
  12. Headstall

    Chapter 6 Eager

    Hey, Ford! You added plenty, and I appreciate it. I always look forward to what reader's think or have to say... corny as it sounds, these comments are food for my writing soul, reminding me of why I spend so many hours creating these stories. It might be hard to describe but you did it very well. As far as I'm concerned, these characters are real. I see them, and I hear their voices and feel their emotions, and if a reader can do the same it is the best thing imaginable for this writer. Thank you so much for sharing... it was just what I needed after getting home from hearing I need cataract surgery in both eyes. Cheers, my friend!
  13. Off to the eye doctor to see if I need some lasering.
  14. Headstall

    Chapter 6 Eager

    Hey, Doc! I'm a good way through this... started at the beginning, and there is some fascinating stuff in it. Thanks again! Gary.
  15. Headstall

    Chapter 6 Eager

    Lol. I'll take Jubal's help with anything he wants to assist me in. I could use my roof rebuilt, among other things. . So glad you liked the description in this one. I agree... Jubal is a sweetheart, and Lucas ain't too bad either. Thank you, dear friend. These guys are building a great friendship while they plan out the roof, and I'm pleased that has come through. So much more ahead for these men. Hope you are well, my lady.
  16. Headstall

    Chapter 6 Eager

    Yup... a guy can always hope. Thank you for the validation, buddy. it means a lot to hear your kind and supportive words. I am guilty of second guessing myself a lot, but I do know what is best for my process. I used to write and post much faster, but I wasn't as good a writer back then... I had much to learn... and still do. Appreciate you! G.
  17. Headstall

    Chapter 6 Eager

    Hello, my friend. I think in this chapter we definitely saw that mutual respect building. Jubal is already feeling comfortable in this new place with this new friend. Both men once had the same dream, and Lucas has brought his to fruition, but he could use the help and experience Jubal can lend... that in itself is giving Jubal confidence that he is in the right place for now. They have much in common it seems, not the least of which they are both decent men, and both understand loneliness. They are finding connections almost minute by minute, and that is powerful. So happy you see their friendship deepening... and that you found the cabin discussion fascinating, and I appreciate the patience in waiting for Mondays. Thanks for this!
  18. Headstall

    Chapter 6 Eager

    I like wood of many ages, not just antique. I will check his other work out. I am always researching something.
  19. Headstall

    Chapter 6 Eager

    Thanks, buddy. What a sweet little vintage cabin. And yes, we know how much Jubal is attracted to Lucas, but we aren't sure who Lucas is yet. It's all right for you to be sure, though. You could be right. Happy you liked this one, Albert, and as always, I appreciate your constant support. Cheers!
  20. Headstall

    Chapter 6 Eager

    Thanks, Doc! I think we are similar in that regard. What an awesome link. It even has poetry and a section on grafting, something Boone and Coy would be interested in too. I'm so pleased to hear how much you liked this chapter. I love building, so I'm kind of biased, but really it was a way for the two men to interact and learn about each other a little more, and for Jubal to have confidence in himself. I think Vincent was more important to Jubal's development as a person that his pa was, and he is remembering all those lessons as he talks to Lucas. For me, this was a sneaky chapter, and there is a lot happening in it as they build their friendship. I'll be going through that whole book you sent in the link... it is right up my alley. Cheers, my friend. Much appreciated.
  21. Headstall

    Chapter 6 Eager

    Awesome, my friend! That's what I like to hear. Characters drive my stories... I mean, the plot is important, but it's the journey of learning the characters that makes me want to continue writing. It is really hard work, but it is so rewarding when readers can relate to and care for these people. Lucas came to mind first, but it was Jubal who grabbed at me. He intrigued me, and he still does. I'm so pleased you feel the uniqueness of these individuals. I'm not perfect, but I try really hard... and now that I know you have a photographic mind I feel the pressure. I know what you mean, though. I tend to be a visual person when I read, and I am always curious about what makes the characters tick. And I appreciate that you understand I don't keep writing the same characters over and over. I can't tell you how much I needed this encouragement today. I needed my spirits lifted today, and this truly helps. As far as biweekly updates, I think I will stick to my routine. I needed the last week to get this chapter ready, and the week before was kind of grueling once I decided to combine two chapters. Even though the story is already written, my mind has to turn every sentence, every phrase, pretty much every word, over and over again until it reads right to me. Thanks again for this, buddy. Cheers!
×
×
  • Create New...