-
Posts
52,274 -
Joined
-
Last visited
Content Type
Forums
Stories
- Stories
- Story Series
- Story Worlds
- Story Collections
- Story Chapters
- Chapter Comments
- Story Reviews
- Story Comments
- Stories Edited
- Stories Beta'd
Blogs
Store
Help Center
Writing
Gallery
Events
Everything posted by Headstall
-
The Kinsey scale is real. Sexuality has some fluidity for many people, so your thoughts are valid for sure. I have no doubt 'straight' men took advantage of sexual opportunities out of loneliness. We are humans with needs, and one of those stronger needs is gratification. Another is the need to feel close... to connect with another human. For many, the wilderness was their church, and god was all around them, not in a building and not in a book. Survival was their religion, and love came in many forms. Those nomads figured out a way to be happy, of that I have no doubt.
-
The fact is, people (young men especially) have needs, and that may have made some of them more open to explorations. Women were often left behind for their own safety, so they were scarce in many places. The men were left to carve out a life, and they would have had to depend on other men, and that may have stirred feelings of closeness. After all, it would have been a lonely existence, something a whorehouse might have helped with, but would it be the answer? I don't know if there were male versions of whorehouses... I suspect not... but I have no doubt close friendships were formed. If you moved around, it gave folks less chance to know you or to even speculate. It would be a safer choice for a gay man, for sure. If you ever were outed, I expect you would leave and start anew. Bloody sad to think of such. Thanks, buddy.
-
There are so many old photos from the time period of two men together, and I can't tell you how many of them I saw as couples. You could see the familiarity, some subtle and some very obvious. It's nice to know love found a way, and these men were able to build somewhat happy lives. It has to. It's not a choice for us, so yeah, we have no choice but to be resilient. And yes, it seems we are going backwards instead of forwards with the way we are used for politics. In following the news, some of the most vociferous objectors to LGBTQ+ rights are often found out later to be gay themselves. 'Christian values' is used as camouflage by so many as they pander to their bases. It is sad, and that is the ultimate betrayal. I worry for where we are headed, but I can find some solace in writing these westerns.
-
Yes, Jubal has choices again. Still, though $450 can but land, there are other things to consider, like a team (or one good horse like Dinah), a wagon, a plough, seeds, axes, saws, building materials... and the list goes on. The $840 would have covered the necessities needed for farming, but it still could have been tight. So, Jubal needs to carefully consider what his best move is. For now, he's in no hurry... he has a place to go for him and his horses, and he has a new friend he trusts. Lol... you guys and the fishing. Thanks for reading and commenting, my friend, and for your kind words. There is still quite a journey ahead.
-
Thanks, Doha! They do seem to be connecting on some levels, so we'll see where it goes. Yes, you're right about Lucas being more pragmatic. There were times when I was writing Jubal when he almost felt innocent... of course he isn't, but there is that part of him who cares deeply for doing the right thing. My guess is that Lucas hasn't met many men like him. You'll meet the sheriff soon, and we can only hope it goes well. Doing research I learned some sheriffs in those times were as bad as the criminals. Appreciate the support, my friend. Cheers! G.
-
It doesn't sound crazy at all. I don't have any actual statistics, but one thing I am sure of is that gay people were everywhere, in those times and every other time. The problem is, most had to leave absolutely secret lives, and straight people would have had no idea of just how many gay people they encountered in their daily lives. A lot of men were practically nomads in those times, and I wonder if being gay wasn't a reason for their choices. Was that the case for lawmen? It's an interesting thought. It might have been easier to be married to the job than a woman, and no one would question it. Being a lawman was dangerous, and it would be understandable for them to be single. Just like it was for cowboys and trappers. What allows gay men to have any kind of life back then is the existence of gaydar... it's hard to explain to someone who is straight, but it takes just a look in the eyes, and we know. It's not infallible, but it is pretty reliable, so likeminded souls could find each other. Still, it can be risky, because if you are wrong.... you could become a target. In "Larkspur: A Sidewinder Tale" there was some question as to whether Sheriff Willard chose being a lawman in part because he had something to prove (as a gay man). I believe that... but of course I would because I wrote it. He even kind of alluded to it in a conversation later. He actually acted kind of reckless in Buffalo Springs, his first job as a sheriff... did that feed that part of him who might have felt lacking... in someone who was still learning to accept who he was? Just my thoughts on the matter... anyone else?
-
Another great new review, this time for "Gone Fishing", this month's featured Signature story. Thanks, Man!
-
Thanks, Man! I appreciate the reread. This is definitely a love story, and a family love story as well. The parents knew, and Grandma knew... which means what they had at the time was very real. Now both men have a chance to get rid of any regrets, and they are fortunate indeed. That red and white was definitely a lucky lure, and Anthony reeled in a trophy with the help of a little Grandma magic. Thanks again, my friend... I love this little anthology story, and appreciate any attention it gets. Cheers!
-
-
You should definitely call the doctor.
-
L Love it!
-
I didn't know the statue even existed. That makes me happy.
-
I like your enthusiasm, buddy.
-
I just might have trouble saying no to you. I'll have to decide soon.
-
I thought you might, buddy. Maybe two chapters at once will get more engagement. I'm starting to lean towards doing jus that.
- 145 comments
-
- 10
-
-
-
I reckon that be clear enough. It is under consideration to combine the two chapters. We'll see, Doc....
-
Well, that's one vote for yes. I will consider it.
-
Hey, all! Sunny and 17c here.
-
Awesome. "The Imitation Game" was a great movie. I had no idea of the story until I saw the movie. Benedict Cumberbatch gave an outstanding performance. Good luck with your story, Man.
-
Hobbit Foot loose...
-
Acknowleging the Drewth will set you free.
-
Hey, bro. That's great to hear. It has been devastating in a lot of places.
-
It sure was. So was the new one for "Endings".
-
Just wondering... should a post another double chapter on Monday? Maybe an extra long double? A two for one deal?
- 145 comments
-
- 11
-
-
-
Not a chapter comment... a Story Review.
