First and foremost, I know that writing a chapter like this is more difficult for an author to create than the reader to read. I am sure it was emotionally painful and draining. I agree that it doesn't fit Wylie's personality, but it does fit the story. Wylie has never been violent like this in thought or deed. However, it does create the perfect reason for their love to come to an end and lead to the things that are about to transpire. There is no beauty to the chapter, but I believe that was the intent of the author.
I do have to say that entrapment by Mary Ann was also vile. It was a deliberate attempt to blackmail Wylie into a life he does not want to lead. I do believe that the chapter was well written and produced the expected reactions. Thanks for the blood, sweat and tears you shed to create this chapter.