Jump to content

Parker Owens

Signature Author
  • Posts

    19,079
  • Joined

  • Last visited

Everything posted by Parker Owens

  1. Brownie Points A Brownie Point, you understand, is gained when you perchance consume the leftovers you have on hand, but which within the fridge take room from other things which matter more; they just got purchased from the store. So finish a container, yea, eat up the week old slaw, I beg, and Brownie Points you'll earn today by taking on that deviled egg that's been in wrap since late July, but no one's ate it - wonder why? Now look, I'll earn some points myself by scarfing last night's
  2. A warm and lovely chapter, full of the romance that should have been David and Twoey's from the start. You paint their loving vividly, but not in such lurid detail that either would be embarrassed. Well done, I say. Further well done is the slowly clearing outlook for David. You make it clear that he understands his road ahead will be rocky and long, which is real. But it is a path he can live with, as long as Twoey is there with him. I agree with earlier comments about David's family. With the exception of Tommy, the Absent Family really could have packed up and moved to Beverly Hills and not made the slightest difference. Donny and Chuck together? That could be um...enthusiastic. David is lucky to have a team of good friends. It is bittersweet to see this tale wind down, but David has been put through the wringer enough. At least the sun will set happily on Twoey and David, two boys very much in love. Thank you.
  3. You speak a great truth here. There are limits to identity politics, it seems, when one must actually conceive of solutions to the ills that plague us. Well spoken, Tim.
  4. Parker Owens

    Sonata

    You are really kind SD, to have taken the tempo markings at heart; this is what I attempted in proofreading. I thought less of soloists and more of whole instrument sections in this, even though a sonata is for solo instruments. I am glad you liked this. It makes my heart sing....
  5. Parker Owens

    Sonata

    Not an instrument, but a series of distinct key changes; perhaps a Vivaldi or Bach string section describes it best. Think of The Seasons, or maybe one of Corelli's concerti grossi. Anyhow, I am so very glad you enjoyed the sonata. Glad it was that instead of "Ring Cycle." I'd still be writing! Thanks so much for your comments!
  6. Parker Owens

    Sonata

    Three different related movements, but the differences between them weren't terribly subtle. It is harder than I originally thought to illustrate tempo in verse, restricting the poetry to a single form. But it was certainly a great deal of fun, and a story told itself, as it might in a 19th century sonata. Thank so much for your really kind and encouraging reaction. -P
  7. Parker Owens

    Sonata

    Yes, far more cheerful. I wanted to have contrast with movement number three, so number two had to be painted dark, while the first had to have some complexity. This one was fun to write, and hope you enjoyed it,like a bit of music. - P
  8. Yes, I liked it! Loved it, in fact. For though you write about some difficult things, you also show us the beauty, grit and grace that lies around us, if we will look for it. Here you admit only that you cannot help but tell us the truth. Wonderfully done, Tim.
  9. Parker Owens

    Sonata

    Oh, Thank you, Gary. They were related, as a sonata might be...the last movement absorbing and expanding of the first two. The poet can't believe, yet must, and happily, too. Those four-foot iambs really sound musical, don't they? There were lots of other tempos to try...gracioso, con brio, or andante...but these worked, I thought. Many, many thanks for your comments.
  10. This morning felt like a morning in Britten...I have always liked this piece, even if it isn't St. Cecilia's day today.
  11. Parker Owens

    Sonata

    I loved the Presto movement best, too. But the other two are necessary to make it that way, I think. Thanks for your comments and for reading!
  12. Sonata I. Allegro Your smile at me, though just for fun, was like Vivaldi in the sun, admitting not a minor strain in letting joy go free to run. That grin, which could dispel the rain and every dissonance disdain, a swift accelerando starts behind my ribs, and I am slain. My skills in the attractive arts are next to nil, and oh, that smarts; I play a standup fiddle mean, but you need naught to top the charts. It's better that I'm heard than seen, so not to mar the spring so green; at
  13. I really like the way you tell your story in your poem. The last few lines were especially powerful and you built up to them particularly well. You make me sad and reflective here, and I hope you have found some solace. Thank you for sharing this.
  14. Awesomeness, AC...the full late romantic orchestra on display. And best of all, there are other symphonies by Breton available, too!
  15. The autumn rains will soon displace the summer sun, but the cool green north country, and its morning chill mists, will linger in memory. I am glad you got this postcard; worth the price of a stamp, I hope . Cinquains can be enormously and deceptively expressive, and great fun to write. Glad I brought my notebook and dispensed with my camera for this vacation. Many, many thanks for your kind and generous words!
  16. Thank you for leaving a comment, anyway. It is like finding a freshly opened blossom on a sunny morning. These verse pictures are far better than photos, as they stick in my mind, including far more than a camera can capture. At least, for me, that is. Thanks again!
  17. Parker Owens

    Kristian

    When AC talked about using power words in the Ballade Prompt, it wasn't clear just how powerful some could be. The hurt continues, though muted much by time. Thank you so much for your response me and for reading Occasional Poetry.
  18. I can't help posting this one which I ran across unexpectedly today. It echoes still in my brain. https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=nlApOe-3Y3k
  19. Parker Owens

    Kristian

    You must be psychic to read my mind so well. It is a good thing to write these poems out, if only to express, and so tame such memories. Yes, it is a powerfully sad ballade, but one which asks a terribly common question. The challenge/prompt didn't warn us how intensely one can feel in this form. You are kind to respond so generously and at length. Thank you so very much.
  20. Parker Owens

    Chapter 19

    Another gilt-edged chapter, and one in which the comfort Jason and Corey developed with each other is in full evidence. I liked the interplay between Corey and Liam, and how it contrasted with Corey and Jason's. Liam's road with Alek is going to be harder, I think.
  21. Parker Owens

    Chapter 10

    Another masterfully done chapter. And Clint is fearless in the teeth of certain catastrophe. What the Sheila's of this world don't get is that they are doomed by people who simply don't want to be bothered or tainted by their hate. However, Clint appears to be in for a certain amount of pain and breakage in his immediate future. What a pity.
  22. Parker Owens

    Kristian

    Thanks, Emi. It was difficult to write, and suddenly, the images came rushing to mind, demanding to be put down. Heartache demanding to be committed to paper, it seems. Thanks for your kind words, and for responding to this one.
  23. Parker Owens

    Kristian

    Not an easy poem to write, or to read, and I am a little sorry for that. Ballade is a potent form, I find, and once started, hard to rein in. Thank you for responding to this, and for reading Occasional Poetry.
  24. Well, this is the chapter of chapters, the wonderful coming together of David and Twoey. They talk of forevers, and for both their sakes, we can hope their lives work out. But for this one day, David and Twoey are happy and together, and you have made it beautiful to see. Thank you.
  25. Parker Owens

    Kristian

    Ache is a good word here. The poet clearly feels it still. I thank you for prodding me to take the challenge. There is something very gratifying to seeing it all fall into place. Your kudos are kind/to a man of my mind, Thanks.
×
×
  • Create New...