Jump to content

Parker Owens

Signature Author
  • Posts

    19,079
  • Joined

  • Last visited

Everything posted by Parker Owens

  1. The lifeguard seems to creep closer to the story each time. Definitely not Eric. For once, in the relative comfort of Eustace's barn, Eric can pause to think about what life is going to be like going forward. What is amazing is that he seems almost content with things as they are...no real home, no bed, one meal per day plus snacks...and he considers that an improvement. He deserves better, and can't see that for himself.
  2. Parker Owens

    Quiet Days

    Eric has gotten subtly but definitely rewarded almost since starting out with Eustace. That kind of kindness is paying off in the way Eric is beginning to do things on his own. And yes Eric. could use some real comfort, not just the dream variety...
  3. Parker Owens

    Fireworks

    Well that's certainly a thought I hadn't considered...the redhead's aggression could be simple jealousy or maybe something much more complex. What an idea. But poor Eric us certainly unfortunate...
  4. Parker Owens

    Chapter 13

    Just be Luke and Jackson. That's a good start. Just remember they way you kiss each other. Just take the time to realize what good friends you could become, what experiences you can share. Just live into what could easily be the year you both grow into who you were meant to be. The best year. What an excellent chapter, and a setup for the inevitable changes to come.
  5. While David's interlude with Donny was undeniably hot and passionate, it appears that David is hurtling down a blind alley. There doesn't seem to be any good way for his current situation to turn out. David seems certain to injure someone when he finally comes to his full self realization and chooses to pursue Donny or Twoey. Thus, Danny's dire warnings may indeed come true regardless of what happens. In the past sixteen weeks, David has left a trail of hurt and broken (or at least bruised) hearts in his wake. Consider: Twoey felt discarded, and got stuck with Erik; Randy feels led on and frustrated; Alex certainly must feel disconsolate at the end of their romance; Tommy must have been hurt by the advent of David II; and Gary - best friend Gary - who knows how he must feel, sensing the increasing distance between himself and David? If David lets Donny go, too, that will add just one more person to the growing list of people he has hurt or disappointed. And let us not mention the remaining members of the Church of Burch who still live in town, and who still must bear David ill will for somehow bringing their tired, sorry charade of to congregation to its bitter and ignominious end. While I agree wholly with Spikey that Twoey lost any real claim to David when he abandoned David for Erik, and that Donny surely appears to be better attuned to what David needs, I think the larger picture is that David is going to hurt everybody, no matter who and what he chooses. Therein lies his danger.
  6. My dear brother, how your words make me ache with you. My heart hurts for your hurt. But your summation, your curiosity and desire to see what is yet to be, made the corners of my mouth turn upwards. Perhaps all of us should get in line with you to see the second show together. I think I'd like that. Thank you for sharing this reflection with us.
  7. There is calm and green and quiet again, where all was once mud and screaming and hell. So many died for absolutely nothing, sacrificed to an inability to think at all about the value of men's lives. We cannot in any way comprehend the loss of a century ago, when the dead were as numerous as flowers on an endless plain. Thank you for reminding us all, Tim.
  8. You wrote something here that speaks very deeply to me. I was moved to tears. The last stanza, the day will come when we're one made me yearn to be better than I am, and hope for the strength to stand with those who need our help and protection. Your words humble me.
  9. Dear Gary. I love this poem. I applaud it and hope you will find some comfort in your struggle. Exactly what heights do I scale from here? I recognize this question, and understand it intimately. With some chapters written, the pages are filling. But not yet full. And just a few words can change the meaning of an entire story. Great metaphor. While the sun still rises and the road stretches long I intend to stride forth and keep writing my song. These lines sound exactly like what you are writing about! Waiting on the lee side is another gifted chance To turn a crab’s crawl into a sea lion’s dance. This image is going to stick with me a very long time. I am delighted with it. It's cadence brings the poem to a splendid conclusion.
  10. Fine scotch, indeed. Your observation about one single change to upper case is adroit and fascinating. I did not see God in animus to planetary motion, rather the mistaken adherents of poor translations of Ptolemy, who did not insist on geocentrism. You make me wonder about the subconscious in your comments on Aspiration, and you are possibly right. The accomplishment in either one is that you feel responsive to them. You are most kind, and I am all ablush.
  11. Parker Owens

    Some More Tanka

    These are wonderfully descriptive and I can see the world through your words. Your style is developing into something all your own.
  12. Now celebrate the bear so soft, and on our shoulders bear aloft the ursine one whose day we cheer, 'cause Bear is older by a year! Happy Birthday!
  13. Parker Owens

    Seminar

    You are so very kind and generous in your praise. I am so happy you found this enjoyable. It was fun to poke at the academe, and play with what occurred to me. And math does make a great foil...we love nerds for lots of reasons, no?
  14. Parker Owens

    Seminar

    I am so very happy you enjoyed this, Gary. We don't always get to back to school and like it.
  15. Parker Owens

    Seminar

    You are so very kind; hope you didn't mind my academic tour de force (suppose it could have been much worse). Your metaphor made me smile, SD. Thank you.
  16. Maybe it turned out well, but it was still the job interview from hell. Poor David.
  17. Self hatred springs up even as we enjoy the fruits of our greatest labor. A very difficult subject.
  18. Parker Owens

    Funny Pa

    This is fantastic, Emi! I really, really like this...just my kind of wit and warmth and humor. What a wonderful addition to your collection.
  19. Parker Owens

    Interrogation

    No, Eric has no designs on the sheep! Toby, on the other hand...Ambrose appears to be both genuine, pleasant and very dangerous as we get to know him better. A very difficult combination for Eric. Many thanks for your thoughts.
  20. Parker Owens

    Chapter 11

    And so Corey is beginning to realize he must face the gut wrenching question. Can he forgive Jason? Can he trust hIm? Can he even foresee a situation in which he might do so in a relationship? The moment he can do this is the moment the barrier he has erected between them crumbles. And Jason? Does he understand the depth of change and resistance he must overcome to have a relationship with Corey? Will he think it worth the difficulty? Look forward to having my questions answered at the earliest possible moment.
  21. SLAP. Nothing more needs to be said. For Twoey, this may concentrate his mind far more than Erik ever imagined. For David, the loss of Dr. Keating for a month or two is a real blow. He is making progress, but certainly needs more help and attention. If Ginny is willing and can feel professionally detached enough to step in, that is fine, I suppose, but can she really do that? And wouldn't Dr. K have had someone to fill in for him while he was gone? But perhaps he doesn't think David would trust his replacement as much. David's dream would have disturbed anyone, and I am not surprised he heaved. Danny's rope is no escape. Eagerly anticipating the next chapter.
  22. Parker Owens

    Chapter 2

    Oh, no. Clint has another idea. Great that he made a friend, but too bad he didn't manage to find a way to make his statement...the pink cast didn't do that, I suppose. Great chapter, my friend. I liked this very much.
  23. Thank you Tim. Your encouragement means a great deal to me. And no, I have no plan to stop! Glad you liked them.
  24. Thank you, Def. I am very glad Aspirations meant something to you, as it did me. I hope we can all be that way for someone.
  25. I fear I get caught up in the sheer joy of writing poetry about unusual topics, as I surely did in Planetary Motion. But I am happy you found your place in the end. Aspiration's first line wouldn't let me go. Honestly, it reminded me of one of your stories. I am so happy you liked both of them.
×
×
  • Create New...